What's new
What's new

O/T - Trailer wheel bearings.

Terry Keeley

Titanium
Got a light, local use only trailer. Had to wait five days for a "real" re-build kit so figured I'd just grab a "quality offshore" sub from the local Power Fister, aka the Kanuckistan version of Horror Freight.

Are these actually made in China? Or some other place I haven't heard of yet?

full

That's what the purchasing agent in Brooklyn said into the phone to the Chinese supplier, on what label to put on it.....:D

That's about as good as the cup my daughter got from the Dollar Store that says it's made in "The Neverlands" on the bottom.

20200703_103446.jpg

Last edited:
Got a light, local use only trailer. Had to wait five days for a "real" re-build kit so figured I'd just grab a "quality offshore" sub from the local Power Fister, aka the Kanuckistan version of Horror Freight.

Are these actually made in China? Or some other place I haven't heard of yet?

full
I sure as hell won't be googling that at work.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Power fist is one of those bearings(in the very loose sense of the word) that will fail somewhere in resume speed Iowa.
But not before spinning on the spindle and taking it out as well and that's only if it's doesn't spit the hub off entirely.

Not exactly the same brand, but about 12 years ago I was in the same situation with a little larger trailer. This one is a dual axle model with 10,000 lb. capacity. The only bearings I could find were made in China. I needed the trailer now so unfortunately I installed them. They didn't last 500 miles.

I got the job done, but barely. When I got the trailer home all 4 hubs were warmer than they should be. I disassembled everything and found the rollers on all the inner bearings had started to disintegrate. I went to the local NAPA store and ordered all new inner and outer bearings, seals, and cups. I specified the new bearings had to be made in the USA. It took about a week to get them. I think they had to look through their entire inventory to get some old enough to still be made here.

They ended up costing 3 times as much as the junk Chinese ones, but I wasn't willing to take another chance. They're still on the trailer, and have been inspected and repacked a couple times. 12 years and over 20,000 miles later they're still running fine.

A farmer local to me bought 3 wagon running gears for his chopper boxes. Inside of 2 years I sold him all new bearings one set at a time. The original china bearings appeared to have case hardened rollers instead of through hardened. The rollers would crack the case when hitting a bump and grind themselves up in a short time. No problems since with new quality bearings.

Ed.

Trick with poor trailer bearings is that you grease them up real good and set the preload at .002 loose so when warm they are just set. Yes you have to draw tight to seat the shells tight, then back off to .oo2 loose. Then you park the triler behind the barn and never move it. Brearings last for years with dong that, almost forever and goats get good exercize jumping up on it,.

Outside of very high dollar (think 300 dollar plus per bearing) are any of these still made in the USA?
Name me the location of the plant you have been to in the last few years.
Bob

Considering what a strategic target the German ball bearing plants were during WW2, it's interesting that we've abandoned our own production. I guess if there's another major war the planners here all think it'll be online? Or, over so quickly that it'll be won or lost with existing stock.

Eh, I'll just get ready to welcome our new cockroach overlords...

Outside of very high dollar (think 300 dollar plus per bearing) are any of these still made in the USA?
Name me the location of the plant you have been to in the last few years.
Bob

JamesTown new York
But I think they may only make high dollar stuff.

Back