What's new
What's new

O.T. ~ Yanmar generator

JoeE.

Titanium
Someone gave me a little, single cylinder Yanmar diesel powered generator. It's called a YDG5500CE-6EI. Both the engine and generator housing itself are tagged "yanmar"

Motor runs like a champ... generator had quit producing electricity, and the previous owner removed the voltage regulator and brush holder and lost it.

When I got it, I had a brush holder off another Chinese 3500 watt import generator that fit right on it, and the AVR (automatic voltage regulator) from it plugged right in to the 4 pin receptacle. There were 4 wires on the generator receptacle and 4 on the AVR plug. When plugged in, the color coded wires didn't match each other, though.

I had nothing to lose.. so I connected everything and started the engine. It took a little less than a minute for the AVR let the magic smoke escape. Oh well.... I'm only out $9.

So, to do a little experimenting... I disconnected the regulator completely. Then, I assembled "Variac" and a bridge rectifier... and wired the output to the brushes on the generator...
Started the engine and slowly increased the output of the variac and watched the Voltmeter on the running generator.

It immediately started climbing... when I was up to about 45vdc... the generator was putting out 120vac!!!

I plugged some things into the output receptacles on the generator control panel... an incandescent lamp and a big electric fan. Both operated just fine.

I switched off the variac... light and fan went off... switch on.. they came back to life.

Anyhow... let me tell you that there is a dearth of replacement parts or even information on the web concerning these things.

Luckily, with the help of Google, I found an equipment dealer in Kansas City who was a dealer for Yanmar power products.

And luckier yet... he was glad to help me find out if parts were still available for this unit. He got ahold of their World wide parts distributor, who emailed me parts lists for machines of this age... which I think is 2010.

Come to find out... Yanmar had stopped selling this particular model in the USA.... overseas sales only... "this is an export model we can't use in the USA anymore".....but they could still get me a new regulator and some other miscellaneous items it needs.

I just wanted to kinda reach out to see if there's anyone else out there with a single cylinder Yanmar engine powered generator.

I frequent a group that discusses generators of all kinds, and I've posted on that forum and have gotten exactly NO response from anyone with one of these.

That tells me that they're scarce. From reading on the web, I think things like this generator may be used in the marine world... power on boats and things.

I deleted all my photos I had on the computer except pics of the AVR plug and receptacle on the generator...

Attachments

• 8-9-18car.jpg
    8-9-18car.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 40106829_10217584618866117_4294910726985744384_n.jpg
    40106829_10217584618866117_4294910726985744384_n.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 81
Someone gave me a little, single cylinder Yanmar diesel powered generator. It's called a YDG5500CE-6EI. Both the engine and generator housing itself are tagged "yanmar"

Motor runs like a champ... generator had quit producing electricity, and the previous owner removed the voltage regulator and brush holder and lost it.

When I got it, I had a brush holder off another Chinese 3500 watt import generator that fit right on it, and the AVR (automatic voltage regulator) from it plugged right in to the 4 pin receptacle. There were 4 wires on the generator receptacle and 4 on the AVR plug. When plugged in, the color coded wires didn't match each other, though.

I had nothing to lose.. so I connected everything and started the engine. It took a little less than a minute for the AVR let the magic smoke escape. Oh well.... I'm only out $9.

So, to do a little experimenting... I disconnected the regulator completely. Then, I assembled "Variac" and a bridge rectifier... and wired the output to the brushes on the generator...
Started the engine and slowly increased the output of the variac and watched the Voltmeter on the running generator.

It immediately started climbing... when I was up to about 45vdc... the generator was putting out 120vac!!!

I plugged some things into the output receptacles on the generator control panel... an incandescent lamp and a big electric fan. Both operated just fine.

I switched off the variac... light and fan went off... switch on.. they came back to life.

Anyhow... let me tell you that there is a dearth of replacement parts or even information on the web concerning these things.

Luckily, with the help of Google, I found an equipment dealer in Kansas City who was a dealer for Yanmar power products.

And luckier yet... he was glad to help me find out if parts were still available for this unit. He got ahold of their World wide parts distributor, who emailed me parts lists for machines of this age... which I think is 2010.

Come to find out... Yanmar had stopped selling this particular model in the USA.... overseas sales only... "this is an export model we can't use in the USA anymore".....but they could still get me a new regulator and some other miscellaneous items it needs.

I just wanted to kinda reach out to see if there's anyone else out there with a single cylinder Yanmar engine powered generator.

I frequent a group that discusses generators of all kinds, and I've posted on that forum and have gotten exactly NO response from anyone with one of these.

That tells me that they're scarce. From reading on the web, I think things like this generator may be used in the marine world... power on boats and things.

I deleted all my photos I had on the computer except pics of the AVR plug and receptacle on the generator...

I soldered a loose "Medium Edison" base back onto a 40 Watt lightbulb once when no factory spares could be found.

That worked for a while, too.

But only for "a while". Boater might be better-advised to ship alcohol fuel, yah? Or maybe a Westerbeke or Gardner.

Go figure...

My limited experience with Yanmar equipment is good. My experience with parts for not-sold-in-USA Yanmar tractor is not so good. A very nice helpful company called Hoye Tractor sells parts, which look good and fit, but do not last. Steering box rebuild kit lasted less than a year, new gearshift boots crack in a year.

If you can get good parts, your unit will probably be a good 'un. There is a company I believe called Powertronics that sells voltage regulators for generators, which based on your experiment may be an option.

My limited experience with Yanmar equipment is good. My experience with parts for not-sold-in-USA Yanmar tractor is not so good. A very nice helpful company called Hoye Tractor sells parts, which look good and fit, but do not last. Steering box rebuild kit lasted less than a year, new gearshift boots crack in a year.

If you can get good parts, your unit will probably be a good 'un. There is a company I believe called Powertronics that sells voltage regulators for generators, which based on your experiment may be an option.

Some Yanmar (Japan) goods are made in Yanmar (China) factories. Others are blatant forgeries.
Both target utilitarian applications, third-world market, mostly, so even when "decent" were never the high-priced spread.

The "tiny" Diesel is the value here.

EPA, CARB, etc. shut-out the inexpensive but durable smaller ones quite awhile ago, so mogas, nat gas, or LNG are far easier to find affordably. Emissions "compliant" small diesels have gone rather dear.

IF other-than-Diesel is the fuel you want to store. I do not.

For fuel commonality with my larger standby/emergency Diesel, I'd have to purchase one of the costlier and scarcer "mini" for use as an off peak sustainer.

What are still quite reasonable for serious-durable amortization over long years are the complete gen heads in this small KVA. I'd probably start with these guy's product, just scout for a bargain source:

Mecc Alte | The World's Largest Independent Producer of Alternators 1 - 5,kVA

And.. I'd OVERSIZE the gen head a tad, KVA-wise. Gives me the option of an up-rated motor for future. Improves longevity. No free "extra" power, just harder to harm it.

2C.. and one MEP-803a worth.

:)

Back