What's new
What's new

Oak Ridge-Must be a really neat place to work

Living in the Oak Ridge area and having worked there, I can tell you that this article is pretty accurate.

I wonder if anyone has been sucked into a machine by their dangling ID badge...sure looks scary to me, instant noose!

Stuart

When my Mom worked there during the war they called it dogpatch because it was in the middle of nowhere hillbilly land. The FBI told them to stop using that word! Her mailman for her house could not read, scurity you know.
Bill D.

For a premier National Lab, I would have expected very modern high class machines. The latest Moore, Weiler, pristine Hardinge HLVH EMs, Hembrugs, Makino, Abene, Hermle, Fehlman, Kern, Nagase, Hauser, Studer, Jung etc..

I do see a Rivett 1020s in one of the pics.

The very best deal of my life was buying two 4x4x8 crates full of there left over tooling , I know where my tax dollars went...what a gold mine of 10ee parts and other goodies...Phil

The pictures tell it all...a worker bee with a supervisor looking over his shoulder. It might be a great place to work, but not very stimulating...sort of like being a park ranger in Redwoods National Park.

Stuart

When they put new roofing tar on the Bevetron it took about 3-4 years. They had to peel off the old stuff then brush on new tar. Should have taken a week or two. Problem was it was mostly running 24/7. They could not be on the roof when it was running since there was no radiation shielding on the top of the machine.
Reminds me of when they painted the locker rooms at school. the boys took a few days the girl took a few weeks. The all male painters said they had to stop, pack up and leave every 40 minutes for class change time. I think it was 7 minute change time so 14 minute breaks every period.
Bill D

Dynamite plant near my home town had acres of trees planted around the plant to contain the blast. Interesting pattern the trees. They were in staggered rows so there was no clear sight line that would allow a shock wave to travel.
Bill D

Back