What's new
What's new

OD Grinding on an asymmetrical part

Nolan D.

Plastic
Hi Everyone,

Newbie here and looking for some input. I've got a part with a journal that sticks out 90 degrees from the length of the part (part is just over 12" long). The journal is about 1" diameter that I've got to hold within +.0006/-.0000 pre-plate. But it is on the far end of the part and doesn't have centers. My only experience with grinding is either centerless or on centers, but I don't see how either would really work in this scenario. What options are there for precision grinding an O.D. like this? The size of the part and location of the journal is causing our normal grinding supplier to no-bid.

Thanks for your help!

What options are there for precision grinding an O.D. like this?

Jig grinder possibly - if any one still uses them

Made by both Pratt & Whtiney and Moore, neither of which is still in business that I know of

Here is a smaller Moore - machine used for your job would have to have enough "stroke" to suit length of the OD to be ground - and enough lateral capacity to suit the combination of part diameter and grinding wheel diameter

Moore Jig Grinder _ MINT CONDITION!!! (lowed price) - general for sale - by owner

Not as elegant, but there are "add-On" air spindles that can be mounted in a conventional milling boring head that will
allow jig grinding on a mill.....For occasional use these work , bit more tedious over the Moore machine referenced above, but they work....
Have a "Planet 500" and used it for just such work you describe using my Deckel FP4NC as teh base machine...Programmed to cycle on the "Z" to
grind the length of the pin...Iir powered with a swivel to allow the part to rotate and the air supply to remain stationary...

http://www.nskamericacorp.com/product/category/planet/28

Cheers Ross

You can mount a stone on the spindle and program a circle. Just be careful that grit doesn't get in the wrong places.

I have also done this sort of thing by belting a motor to a rotary table.

Bill

Chuck it in a 4 jaw independent or a face plate if possible

Ross was clever enough to put his in a boring head (or boring/facing). This electric PRECISE is fairly limited - laterally - if you just stick it in the spindle:D

Attachments

• P1000680.jpg
    P1000680.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 64

Back