What's new
What's new

Odd wire in windings of 1/3hp AC motor

catalytic

Cast Iron
I just replaced the bearings on this older (70's?) Dayton 1/3hp 110/220v motor that goes to a Rusnok mill. When i went to reassemble, I noticed that a little wire sticking out of the windings, which will hit the rotor if I reinstall it. The motor ran fine before I disassembled it.

The wire can be seen right in the center of the pic below (sticking down/left from the windings)

The wire appears to be smaller diameter compared to the winding wire (and possibly aluminum instead of copper)

I'm stumped. What is it, and what should I do about it?

If there were 2 I would say it was a RTD aka "Thermal detector". I've rewound many motors and that is not normal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Put a multimeter on to it nand see if it is connected to anything, which I doubt, it appears to be bare tinned copper wire, so not enammeled wire like the motor windings. If it is not connecvted to anything, give it a gentle tug and see if it will pull out. If it won't just tuck it out of the way and carry on, it was running ok with it there before!

Could even be a stray chip that got pitched into the motor, or a bit of wire dropped in when they attached the leads to the windings in the factory.

looks to be too small to ever have been used with that motor. As other shave posted probably some scrap that fell into the motor.
Bill D

Back