What's new
What's new

Off Topic: Cutting guitar strings, wire cutters okay?

Bill D

Diamond
On of my students asked me if I had anything to cut his guitar strings. I didn't then but I can bring in some dykes to cut them but... They seem to be steel will the dykes chip or not?
Bill D

I keep one pair of dikes in my case specifically for cutting guitar strings. I'm a bass player and like stainless round wounds, so mine are the worst punishment. Cheap crappy chinese pliers will gap, as the strings are probably as hard as the blades. Good quality Klein or similar work great.

I don't know what material is used for guitar strings. I make springs out of music wire, so I have a number of nippers specially designed for cutting music wire. I have the Starrett, but I also have some others, and some are marked Germany.

Here is one that I have, with a current source. The ones that do large wire are compounded like a bolt cutter. Multi-power Wire Nipper (Side Cutter)

Larry

We have a pair of music wire cutters and they are lever activated so to speak and can cut it easy.

We also had a good pair of craftsman wire cutters back in the day we used for antennas that were just as bad at 1/8 size and they held up well.

Good quality heavy wire cutters will get it done and if they are warrantied then exchange as needed.

Look for the music wire cutters for best tool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

In over 40 years of playing music I have never seen anybody use anything but cheap dikes to cut guitar strings. I may have just discovered my new million dollar scam... Boutique wire cutters. Just need to come up with some BS scientific sounding line about how the proper pliers will improve tone.

I've used regular diagonal cutters starting almost 50 years ago. Good ones have lasted all these years. Cheap ones haven't done as well.

There's been a proliferation of specialized tools since then. Music wire cutters? Never heard of them back then. Now you can get a kit of tools from Stewart McDonald to do string stuff on sale for $200+. Another whole kit of stuff to work on frets. Another couple hundred. I'm amazed that we managed to work on instruments at all back then.

there will always be some asshole to tell you their ______ that they sell is what you need. DOLLAR TREE needle nose
will cut the fucking strings just fine,,, at least as well as some starrett/knipex/klein bullshit $25 pliers.
look at them first ... make sure the cutting jaws meet. thats it. buy 20 pair if it makes you feel better .
when one wears ...it cost you a DOLLAR . a set of strings cost $6-$10. i'll bet at Guitar Center they have that
same piece-of-shit pair of chinese pliers for $12.

one pair of cheap pliers would be good for at least 30 string changes . unless you're a guitar-tech for Van-Halen,
it should last a while.

if this is for your guitar, spend the money on better strings...not pliers. better strings are more consistent,
last a lot longer and sound better... pliers just sit in your case.

Another brand of wire cutter comes to mind.. Bernard? or something similar.. A compound set of parallel pliers with a side jaw to cut wire... Had a few pairs that are long gone due to working around tool thieves...

In over 40 years of playing music I have never seen anybody use anything but cheap dikes to cut guitar strings. I may have just discovered my new million dollar scam... Boutique wire cutters. Just need to come up with some BS scientific sounding line about how the proper pliers will improve tone.

Say no more:
Erem 599TF Tungsten-Carbide Precision Cutters, Full-Flush, Oval Tip, 12 mm Cutting Edge | JENSEN Tools + Supply :D

30 usd Knipex or Bahco will cut even thicker wire than those Erems but oh boy Erems are so nice in your hand.
I own several pairs and models of (copper only) Erem cutters and if any dickhead cuts even plain steel wire with those he will get fist in eye socket.:angry:

Wire cutters will do it if half-decent.

Although most players seem to not bother curtting, they leave the %$#@@ eye-pokers sticking out.

Cheap cutters may get notched, but most do fine.

Say no more:
Erem 599TF Tungsten-Carbide Precision Cutters, Full-Flush, Oval Tip, 12 mm Cutting Edge | JENSEN Tools + Supply :D

30 usd Knipex or Bahco will cut even thicker wire than those Erems but oh boy Erems are so nice in your hand.
I own several pairs and models of (copper only) Erem cutters and if any dickhead cuts even plain steel wire with those he will get fist in eye socket.:angry:

i have a couple decent korean-made guitars that cost me less than those fancy pliers.

I had a nice pair of EXPENSIVE piano wire nippers in my shop when I was the musical instrument maker in Williamsburg. This stupid guy from the cabinet shop (connected to my shop) asked to borrow my nippers. He brought them back with half the jaws broken off. I asked what the Hell he was doing with them. "Pulling nails) he said. That really pissed me off! I told him to keep them. I didn't want to see them in that condition. Had to ask the bone head exactly what he was going to use any other tool he borrowed for,from then on!

As mentioned a few times,get the PROPER nippers for music wire. I have a few sets of Starrett nippers,one with carbide jaws. That's what I use now.

"XI Cutters" for the logo.
And for the slogan "They go to eleven".....:D

Company is a division of "ST Industries".

"ST Industries", a division of "Bullshit.INC" , which is an proprietary subsidy of the "Bendoverand Takit" firm,
founded by the holdings of "youaskedforit". (sorry thats my best Carlin this morning)

just tell the kid to go to a cheap store and buy some cheap pliers and spend his money on some music lessons...

Back