What's new
What's new

Off Topic- Good Nights' sleep?

JoeE.

Titanium
Long story.......
I'm 52. For the last couple of years, my quality of sleep has deteriorated immensely. I wake up worn out, stiff and aching. I turn from side to side when I lay in bed because I start aching when I lay on one side, so I turn over on the other. Don't know what I do while I'm asleep- whether I roll around or not. I try to lay on my back, but I have the overwhelming urge to lay on my side.

I get worn out during the day and am looking forward to bedtime, but I know what is in store for me- tossing and turning til I finally doze off, then waking up stiff and aching.

I know my mattress, or box springs, is worn out because it sags down toward the center of the bed when I lay in it. Maybe that's what's wrong- I don't know. Bed is about 10 years old.

When I bought the mattress/box spring set, I asked for extra firm~ because the previous set was doing the same thing- worn out and sagging and my sleep suffered. I thought extra firm would head that problem off and provide good sleep. Well, it turned out that it was like sleeping on a concrete slab- too hard. I suffered thru that for about 5 years til I went back to the mattress factory and said I wanted whole new set- "this one is too hard"

They said "your mattress is fine, you just need a softer box spring", and I bought just a new box spring- firm - instead of extra firm. I thought that was nice of them- they could've made a lot more money by selling me the whole set.

It was OK for a while, but it was still a bit too firm. So, I am setting around thinking what I should buy this time. I haven't a clue. I am afraid that whatever I buy will not fix my problem and you can't just take one home and try it and bring it back if you don't like it.

I travel for work, and when I am away from home, I stay in a motel- same on every time. I seem to rest better when I sleep on their mattresses. I know they probably don't go too overboard spending money on their stuff (owned by folks from India~imagine that).

I think I've slept on a pillowtop mattress before, but all I remember is that it was nice and soft, but I still didn't sleep real well. Could've been because it was at some one-night-stands' house and I didn't get much sleep- and when I did try to go to sleep I was still tossing and turning and didn't sleep well at all.........

As far as physical condition, I'm 6'+ and 200 pounds. I want to take some sleeping tablet to help me, but my work cycles preclude that- I am on call 24/7/365 and I can't be caught short and fall asleep on the job.........

My question to you guys- what are you're recommendations as far as my problem is concerned. I only have one prerequisite- no waterbed. I had a waveless right before I bought this particular bed I have, and I didn't like it- :angry: - I was tossing and turning in it, also.

Joe, I have had chronic back problems since I was 22. Sleep has always been a problem. Check with a doctor. There are some chemicals that don't make you drowsy, but let you relax. Next, physical activity makes for a good sleep agent. Nothing serious, maybe a half mile walk every day. I have two mattresses that I sleep on. I like most the Sealey Appalachian ultra plush. It's like sleeping on a cloud. WWQ

I'm getting good results with a memory-foam mattress. Its great, no roll-together (unless you want to of course:D) and the other person can bounce up an down without me feeling it at all.

Really comfortable, i got it because of lower back pain.

Dave

Here's my take on sleep. I have the same problem, by the way. After 12:00 p.m, if I eat one piece of chocolate, drink one soda with caffeine, or one small cup of coffee, forget about it, I'm up all night. Even decaf will keep me awake. I would strongly recommend that you stay away from pills and here's why. If you start taking one pill per day at the age of 52, by the time that you are 72, you will have probably done some damage to your liver and/or kidneys. Ask me how I know; I have friends and family members that suffer from this.

Your mattress could possibly be the problem, but probably is not. In either case, I would recommend that you buy a new one. The way that I think about it, you will use it for 5-8 hours per day. What other item in your life can even come close to that claim?

1. Buy a new mattress and box spring.
2. Avoid caffeine.
3. Try exercise. It works for some people.

You could also try a small glass of red wine before bed, or a small glass of milk. This works for some people. (not me)

I definitely do not have all of the answers, and I actually want to see other's responses to this one. I could use the help myself.

go have a sleep study performed.

what you do in your sleep can kill you, i.e., sleep apnea.

forget the pills. I don't sleep well and I don't care for sleeping pills and I have no interest in taking them. no matter what anybody says, they will become a crutch, whether physical, mental, or both.

people sleep less as they age, too.

there are other things too, shoot me a pm if you want.

If I am having trouble getting relaxed enough to sleep, I run a slightly too hot of a bath and soak for as long as I can stand to be in it. I try and stand it long enough to make me feel like jello. Then.......sweet slumber!

if it weren't for my temperpedic memory foam mattress i would not be able to sleep at all!

worth ever dollar i spent on it, and it was many dollars when i bought it,,, but you get desperate enough and you will part with mucho dollars.

i hear the sleep air beds are really nice as well, i might give one of those a try next time.

bob g

In my opinion (emphasis: my opinion only) good sleep is more about a state of mind than necessarily having the correct mattress or something like that.

Training the mind to "allow itself" to shut off completely has been what I feel allows me to sleep like a rock, and fall asleep in a minute or two night after night... regardless of bed, location or anything else.

I don't think it's really something that anyone can easily explain how to do either... it just requires some thought and some practice (like resolving all the current issues that you might be thinking about and resolving them before you go to bed). I also make a list every evening of what I have to do in the morning or the next day, so I don't have any reason to "remember" anything while I'm in bed.

As I said though: JMHO

I bought a Select Comfort air mattress about 10 years ago when I was having back pain. It was some of the best money I have spent.

I was having another round of sleep problems a couple of years ago. Went to see an allergist about sinus problems. The allergist got my sinus problems under control and that helped tremendously.

somewhere i read a study that concluded that a shower immediately before bed adds the equivalent of two hours of sleep to one's night. of course this is something i knew long before i read the study but it's still nice to have your theories scientifically proven:) so even if i shower right after getting home i still take another right before bed.

and sex right before bed is also a big help...once a day keeps the doctor away:)

dave

...the other person can bounce up an down without me feeling it at all...
Dave

Ummm, I'd probably have a problem with that, even if I couldn't feel the bouncing.

I agree with the other poster: talk to a doc. Rule out diabetes, hypertension, and the like. Evaluate diet. Avoid salty foods (any food, really) and alcohol near bedtime. Ensure you get enough cardio exercise. I've lost 10 pounds recently just by walking around the neighborhood 3-4 times a week. Also, consider that normal sleep does have a waking phase in the middle of the night. But if you aren't feeling right after all that, get a sleep study.

Best,

Jim

Not kidding, a daily exercise routine may make a large difference, it did for me. I did have a bit of back problems, but now play Ice Hockey weekly and gym on a regular basis, and it went away. (did not lose much weight, maybe 10-20 pounds overweight so not a huge problem)

I also now sleep on a couch every night all night. If I go to a hotel or something, I cannot sleep on a flat bed without my back hurting all night or in the morning. Not sharp pain, just a nagging ache. But never any problem at all when sleeping on a couch.

My best nights are after having a few beers. Not kidding at all, if I have 4 or 5 beers and go to bed at midnight, I will wake up at 6am feeling great. I'd rather have a few beers than take sleeping pills, but that is just me. If I take sleeping pills, I wake up and feel like I need more sleep. So I dont like those at all. It SEEMS to me that a few beers a few times a week is better than sleeping pills every night. Again I am not a doctor, but I dont enjoy going out and having a few sleeping pills with friends, so that is why I choose the other, and it has its benefits.
As mentioned, maybe a glass of red wine is even better for you.

I have been a poor sleeper forever it seems, I can be dog tired and still not sleep. I would say good night to the wife and she would be asleep in three minutes, drove me nuts. I have done two things in the last six months and I am sleeping better than I have for years. First thing was I got divorced, no more wife hogging the bed or causing me stress. The second thing was I gave my son the bedroom TV to use in his room. I am not joking about this, I will sleep for four hours straight at times, and now I almost never have problems going to sleep.

Don

I have back problems (soon to have operation number 2) and what they call restless leg and about the only thing I get a good sleep on is our Temper-pedic.
They are quite pricey (about 3 grand) but if you go to their website you can get a 3 month free trial. Get it from the internet tho not from a store because of the return policy.
I also rely on a glass of milk and about 1/2 hour of TV.

If the bed is a full/queen/king, make sure it has a center support under the box spring. Many frames leave this out, and even new mattresses/box springs will sag. Wood supports across don't help, unless they are 2x6's set on edge. Sleep apnea is one this that could be causing the trouble as well (google search will turn up enough info on that).

Yep, get off the caffeine all together. I get myself into these cycles where I don't sleep well and I'm dragging my ass in the morning. A little coffee helps, but then I really don't sleep well. Other things will mess up your sleep too, like spicy foods if you aren't used to them.

You should try out a sleep number bed. I don't have one, but I have slept on them and they are nice.

I never had much of a issue with sleep, but recently got a king size duvey, Its so great to be able to realy stretch with out me toes being out in the cold! Some times i go all night with out sleep, just seams to be what my body wants. I have general found if i go to bed when tired i can normaly get up when i need to with out a alarm clock. That to me makes for a far less stress full night.

One glass of wine at night before bed, some nights I
can remember my head hitting the pillow, other nights
I don't even remember that - it's time to get up again
in the morning.

Nothing seems to stop this. I can drink a cup of
coffee right before bedtime and it only seems to put
me to sleep faster. My kid says I'm "badly habituated"
to caffeine. Probably right.

Exercise? Once I start doing lots of physical labor
at night after work but before bed, the sleep only gets
faster and deeper.

Jim

Given that you already have a firm mattress -- might try a thermal foam mattress topper. 1/10th or less the cost of a Thermarest type mattress at places like Costco.

Back