What's new
What's new

Oil for air turbine fixture drill

steamachine

Cast Iron
I have a Cooper/ Buckeye brand air driven fixture drill that requires Buckeye #1021775 Hydraulic fluid, Great except that Cooper no longer seems to be in business and list no viscosities for their oils found in old catalogs. The model I have is .4 HP and runs at 22,000 RPM. Not super high speed so I would guess some kind of mineral oil. Coopper listed required oil as Air line Oil but at what Visc? 5 ISO? or is that too thick? I know I don't want to run this thing too long without fluid but I need to out this thing in service. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Todd

IMG_20201130_120535773.jpg

No, its not an automatic transmission. Please tell that to all the rotary screw compressors that specify Dexron II.

The brocchure that I've found mentions that the lubrication does not cause an exposure hazard which would negate using Dexron or Marvel Mystery oil . The same brochure describes exposing a piece of paper to the exhaust and checking to see that the paper is atained after a minute. I won't be using this thing much but I'd like not to have to breathe in petroleum when I do. Guess I'll look for a thin mineral oil.

The brocchure that I've found mentions that the lubrication does not cause an exposure hazard which would negate using Dexron or Marvel Mystery oil . The same brochure describes exposing a piece of paper to the exhaust and checking to see that the paper is atained after a minute. I won't be using this thing much but I'd like not to have to breathe in petroleum when I do. Guess I'll look for a thin mineral oil.

Put a diaper on the outlet.

Surgical face masks are readily available. They stop VIRUS sized particles according to popular misconception.

Rislone is a ultra refined lubrication oil. I use it in all my air tools (aviation back ground) I have many ;-) Even a recip. saw ;-)

just for the record, dexron II has a kv of around iso 46 (@40°c). no idea why people think atf is very thin.

Back