What's new
What's new

Oil for Mysore Kirloskar Enterprise 1550

Dave_thesmith

Plastic
I recently brought home an enterprise 1550 with a seized feed gearbox(rustbox) and bad motor. I have the feed gearbox taken apart for cleanup and will be putting it back together soon. I'm assuming the feed gearbox and carriage use hydraulic 32 or 46, but I don't have a manual to confirm. What I want to be sure of, is the headstock oil. It currently has what I'm assuming is 80/90 gear oil. It's got that gear oil smell like a differential. If someone could confirm the oils I need according to the manual I would be very grateful. I try to avoid guessing whenever possible. Surely someone has a copy that they could check for me. Thanks guys/gals.

Dave

P.s. I would totally post photos but the website wouldn't let me do it from my phone. Is that normal?

I appreciate the effort. I've already communicated with the seller of that book just in case he had a copy of the book I need, but he does not. The model this book is for appears to have the same or similar headstock, but an earlier transmission.

While it would be nice to have the original manual and specs, it seems to me that the liability for getting it wrong is minuscule. Looking at machine history, there are a lot of machine tools whose manufacturers specified a particular lubricant that is no longer available. That oil company went out of business, an additive is no longer available, or a better formulation is now offered to replace the original. And I don't see many reports of those machines crumbling, eating their innards or otherwise turning into complete junk. At least not from a lubricant change.

The difference between what Mysore Kirloskar specified and what's used by thousands of contemporary lathes is immaterial for all intents and purposes. Find another machine with a similar design, see what they suggest and pour it into your machine. Problem solved.

Of course if you can actually find a manual, that's all for the good, but don't obsess over trivia.

ZKB for the win. Guy named Ron got me taken care of. Thanks for the point in the right direction.

TGTOOL, I agree, stopping everything cause I can't find out what the manufacturer recommended is a waste of time. I'm not going to stress about the difference between 32 and 46. But I've got time to search while I'm rebuilding. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't put in iso32 if it actually required heavy gear oil or vise-versa. Like I mentioned, when the lathe came to me it had heavy gear oil in the headstock, rusty water in the transmission, and a teeny bit of thin hydraulic oil in the apron.

Now I know it wants dte oil light in the three gear boxes and vactra #2 for all the oil points.

Not saying that's exactly what I'll use, but I have confirmed that the headstock does not require heavy gear oil and that was my primary goal.

Dave

Back