What's new
What's new

Oil resistant splash guard fabric

toolmonger

Aluminum
I need to replace one of the splash shields on our Walter Woodtronic grinder. We use a mineral oil for coolant and it tends to react with alot of different materials. I have spoken with a couple of different upholsterers, who claim they have the right stuff. Each time I have asked for a sample swatch. I put the swatch inside the machine, and each time within two days it has curled up like a pringles potato chip and gets real hard. The splash shield I am replacing is torn up, but has remained supple over the years. It is behind a moving head and has to move with the head. Not a ton of movement, but it has to remain pliable.

What I am looking for is a place to purchase a couple of yards of this material. I would simply purchase it from Walter, but they want $1400.00 for this piece of fabric.

Thanks,

Mike

can you describe it? Myself and a few others here have some experience with industrial fabrics. how thick, how flexible, is there fabric at all, on one side, in the center? is it all fabric,is it coated fabric?

A truck tarp type double coated should be very resistant to solvents and oils but very stiff, also actual rubber coated fabrics, or plain rubber.

Years ago, over 5, we made a curtain for my Boston Digital mill from cloth inserted SBR and it has been oil soaked ever since with no problem. You can get it from

J. P. Bushnell Packing
3041 Locust St.
Saint Louis, MO

314-531-5831

Ask for Dennis.

Bill

This stuff is simply a fabric, which seems to have a rubber type coating on the front where the oil would splash. Unfortunately, when I got the machine it had already been heavily worn, so it is hard to tell exactly what it is. It is fairly thin, maybe .020. This machine has other splash guards, mainly accordian style for axis's that move during operation.

Thank you both for the reply's. I will contact J.P. Bushnell.

Mike

oil resistant splash guard

Have you given leather a try? It is not a cheap date but doesn't mind being oil soaked.

Well Bill, you were right on. I called them this morning and they suggested cloth inserted nitrile. It makes sense now that I think about it. It does not come cheap, but I need it. I am going to order tomorrow morning now that I have the exact size that I need.

Thank you for the help

Mike

that makes sense to me. a real cheap alternative would be clear vinyl film, ie with no fabric. light weight strip door stock, might be too heavy but the real soft hand , .020 thick clear film would work for maybe a year or so. but would yellow and stiffen. The plasiticers get washed out. Clear urethane starts out yellow but will hold up longer, but is pricy

Sounds like you found the Fabric with Nitrile, which should work nicely.

I've been using Zetex. No idea on original application, but as a firecurtain and chemical resistant, it is some neat stuff.

Fabric is fireproof, and Silicon coated on both sides. I've hit it with a open flame... it will blacken, but still holds. I haven't seen it damaged by oil, and pretty solvent resistant.

Manufactures web site:
Z-Tuff Silicone & PTFE Fabrics

Photo is dry machining with carbide on 4140.

IMG00433-20110305-1132.jpg

PTFE coated material i.e. teflon baking sheet from your local store or in my case SWMBO store cupboard
I use it and its not effected by the oil or the paraffin I clean it with.
Its not affected by temp (it goes in the oven!)

Back