What's new
What's new

Oil Seal bore size..........

MwTech Inc

Titanium
Guys , Quick question.....
Have new oil seal, metal body, which measures 2.689 OD .......which is close to 68MM (2.677)

Is .010/.011 the proper crush for setting in the seal?? I bore the hole to 68mm?

Thks

Have new oil seal, metal body, which measures 2.689 OD .......which is close to 68MM (2.677)

Is .010/.011 the proper crush for setting in the seal?? I bore the hole to 68mm?

Thks

Should do, I think.

I hope somebody who knows this stuff will join as of late I find seals OD/ID all over the place.

FWIW

If it's rubber coated - a small radius (think edge taken off with fine wet and dry) on the entry to the seal bore makes a world of difference when it come to fitting the seal.

Of course YMMV

FWIW

If it's rubber coated - a small radius (think edge taken off with fine wet and dry) on the entry to the seal bore makes a world of difference when it come to fitting the seal.

Of course YMMV

Bore chamfer should be 15-30° by .060-.090" so it's a bit more than a kiss from some sandpaper (unless you get your best ham hands out to do the job).

Bore chamfer should be 15-30° by .060-.090" so it's a bit more than a kiss from some sandpaper (unless you get your best ham hands out to do the job).

Thanks for that Boxcar, I didn't know there was a full spec, that was just what I was taught nigh 50 years ago - you know when the manuals were carved on tablets of stone ;)

Last edited:

Thks

+1 to the replies. Something to note though. If the seal is rubber coated and if an automotive application, the entire rubber surface must contact the bore it is in. If an area of the rubber hangs out and contacts the entry chamfer, heat cycling will cause the seal to walk out of the bore. It will actually fall out over time.

Using deductive reasoning here.....
2.6875 is 2-11/16".
My thinking is the seal should press into that size bore.
Seems anti-American to first assume that is might be metric :D

-Doozer

Back