What's new
What's new

Rockwell 21-100 dial question

jimmyb11

Aluminum
I have a new to me mill 21-100 and have a perplexing question. There are four graduated dials on the machine, two on the X axis, one on the y and another on the z axis. Two dials have graduations for .200" travel and two are .100" travel. When I measure the travel the .200" give me a true reading and the .100" dials give me a measurement that is half the true travel. Can someone tell me which dials are which on your machine? Are they different or they all the same, which dial goes where on your machine.

Seems weird but sometimes I miss the big picture.....................

Thanks

currently I have the .100" dials on the x-axis and one full revolution has a true travel of .200" yet the dial tells you that you travelled .100".

So the manual says x=.200 Y=.200 z =.100 not sure why the bonus dial is a.100 as it also resides on the awkward end of the x lead screw.

I bought my Rockwell mill new in 1974. It came from the factory with power feed on the right end of the table, so there are only three cranks and dials. X and Y have 200 division dials and the vertical crank has a 100 division dial. I suppose your mill has an incorrect replacement dial.

Larry

That appears to resolve the issue, the bonus dial is what perplexed me, machine working well, thanks to all, great hobby mill, too bad they didn't index the R8 spindle with an indexing pin, it feels odd not finding one but the brake solves the issue of installation. Best to all!

I have two mills one of which has the R-8 spindle. I'm not a huge fan of R-8 but it works. I would not worry too much about the indexing pin. I'm not a huge fan of that pin either. The mill that has an R-8 spindle lost the pin years ago and I never miss it and it's not worth replacing it in my opinion.

Back