What's new
What's new

Okamoto PFG-450 6x18 surface grinder spindle nut/flange

Overland

Stainless
I'm looking at a used Okamoto PFG-450 surface grinder. Unfortunately the machine lacks the grinding wheel spindle nut and outer flange.
I don't know if this should be a separate nut and flange, or threaded flange.
The standard wheel bore is 1.25".
Does anybody know what it should be, and ideally where I might get one from please ?
Appreciate any help.
Thanks
Bob

Mr. Hoffman,
Yes I do own a lathe.
One option is to make one, but I don't know what it looks like.
Another option is to buy one - if any one either has one, or knows where I might find one, please.

If I do get the machine I can measure the thread, etc. I thought this was a Japanese machine, so 1/2" x 13 thread is a surprise.
Thanks Buck for the link. I don't have much experience with a grinder. The flanges in the Sopko brochure are a lot more complex than I realized - then I read about rebuilt machines "being able to split a 1/10th". Makes sense.
I will contact Sopko today, thanks.
If anyone knows where I might get a used flange, I would really appreciate, please.
Thanks again,
Bob

QT: [1/2" x 13 thread is a surprise.] I'm not sure about (1/2 -13) that is the reason I said try by hand.
Often they are on Ebay but now only one is shown looks pretty poor and I cant tell by looking what taper..

Your grinder is 1" at the big end.. A mount should fit very close (blue in) so I recommend you buy one,

There are different spindle nut sizes-. that is why you try by hand or find the specs for your machine.
Wheel Adapter Parts.

really beat up wheel mount not worth $45 and Im not sure that it is 1" at the big end. I would not buy this junk one.
1-1/4” Surface Grinder 618 Hub Flange Machinist Tool Cutter Grinding Wheel Mount | eBay

New:
SOPKO 2-1/4" Diameter Grinding Wheel Adapter, For Use With Grinding Wheels, Grinding Wheel Adapter | 53-111-920 | Travers Tool Co., Inc.

Thanks again Buck.
I just spoke to Sopko - very helpful. I need to measure the spindle to be sure, but the CSR recommended a 3" adapter for $185. I'll need a nut and wrench also, so not terrible $$$.
Now I need to see what I can get the machine for, and see if it's worthwhile.
Thanks for the help.
Bob

Just a thought....
Any idea where the original nut/flange went to? Any chance of speaking to the former operator when you go to pick the machine up, or even get a good look around the area of the machine and in any cabinets of gear it comes with. Wouldn't be the first time you may discover riches beyond your wildest dreams with extra equipment not listed in the sale but which does belong to your new machine.
Good luck

Thanks again Buck.
I just spoke to Sopko - very helpful. I need to measure the spindle to be sure, but the CSR recommended a 3" adapter for $185. I'll need a nut and wrench also, so not terrible $$$.
Now I need to see what I can get the machine for, and see if it's worthwhile.
Thanks for the help.
Bob

What size wheel diameter fits your wheel guard?

The better, is the one for 3/4 wide wheel so you use a spacer for smaller width, and can use a recess side face wheel when you need grind a large step shoulder. Think of grinding a flat surface up to a 5" high shoulder. Your wheel mount and the flange nut need be recessed from the wheel face.

William Sopko & Sons Co., Inc - Standard Taper Wheel Adapters

Note flange thread need be the one that tightens with spindle rotation, same for the spindle thread. Most often that is left hand.

Thanks again guys.
Sopko recommended their part #00129.
This has a range 1/4" to 3/4".
Apparently standard wheel on machine is 7" x 1/2" x 1.25 bore.

I've also found a Harig 6x18 locally that's complete. Decisions, decisions.
Bob

McMaster-Carr
Same as my Harigs, B/S and other normal make SGs and tool and cutter grinders.
The 43745A21 is $65 new.
The nut on my Okamoto 10x20 is not 1/2-13 but Spoko sells nuts to fit. The original nut slotted drive, the Spokos hex and much easier to live with.
Make sure to also buy two wheel wrenches and a puller.

In general I do not remove wheels from the adapters or hubs once mounted and trued. This makes for quick and easy wheel changes.
That said today I am going to have to do hub swap on two wheels as I don't have extra hubs in stock and the parts need to be done by 5am Monday to hit the outside coating op run.

Some people live with one hub, others buy many of them and leave wheels mounted.
Bob

Back