What's new
What's new

Okuma ls apron gear problem

Hovet

Plastic
Hi.
I have just gotten a okuma ls. It is a 10hp (7,5kw). I dont know what year, does anyone know?

I am not very good with the english terminology for lathes but ill try to explain. If i want to move the apron/carrier back and forth it will stop and ill have to help it further.

I noticed one gear is missing some teeth so that is the problem.

I was wondering how do i Remove the gear and where can i buy a new one?

Dropbox - Bilde 10.01.2021, 13 25 08.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - Bilde 10.01.2021, 13 25 28.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - Bilde 04.01.2021, 10 46 18.jpg - Simplify your life

I have an Okuma LS 540x1500 10hp too. Okuma parts are still available from Okuma but were expensive as I recall. Like STUPID expensive. My carriage was really dirty and a little rusty from running coolant on it with the top fill hole open. I had to pull the apron and clean and replace a few things. I ended up replacing the gear that rides on the rack cause mine was worn a bit. I sourced one from HPC gears in England as they were the only metric ones I could find. I turned the old gear off and press fit the new one on. As to the serial #, I got an email from a guy 8 years ago that said this -- fun fact, the serial number has the date code followed by the serial number, the 41 is year, expressed in the year of the emperor, so 1925 + 41 is the year 1966, and month is the 09, so September. The serial number would be 10352.

I have an Okuma LS 540x1500 10hp too. Okuma parts are still available from Okuma but were expensive as I recall. Like STUPID expensive. My carriage was really dirty and a little rusty from running coolant on it with the top fill hole open. I had to pull the apron and clean and replace a few things. I ended up replacing the gear that rides on the rack cause mine was worn a bit. I sourced one from HPC gears in England as they were the only metric ones I could find. I turned the old gear off and press fit the new one on. As to the serial #, I got an email from a guy 8 years ago that said this -- fun fact, the serial number has the date code followed by the serial number, the 41 is year, expressed in the year of the emperor, so 1925 + 41 is the year 1966, and month is the 09, so September. The serial number would be 10352.

Thanks. Was it a big job to remove the apron?
How did you do it?

It was not fun at all. You need to remove the for/rev shaft I think but don't remember for sure. There's a tapered pin in both lead and feed screws that need to be driven out, pull the end bearing block and then the screws and set aside. remove the rear carriage clamps and free the carriage to lift up a little it. I had a overhead crane to lift the carriage at the time. Remove the top bolts from the carriage to loosen the apron but don't take them out till the apron is supported. Lift up on the carriage top then the apron should slide out sideways. You have to lift the carriage cause one of the gears sticks up into the carriage to drive the cross slide screw. I had to make some 4 prong sockets to remove some of the 4 prong nuts in the carriage but you might not have to go that far. My memory on this is a little fuzzy as it was 10 years ago. Wish I had a manual to set everything in the apron, my power feed is touchy sometimes, will kick out on its own. There's like what I would call a moving tray for the power feed that was really hard for me to get set just right.

so you needed a lathe to fix your lathe? haha! best reason to have more than one, but it really helps if one works...

Back