What's new
What's new

Old Atlas 10D, I think, lathe advice needed to acheive best turned finish? Setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tynawg9

Plastic
Hello and sorry if I make a mistake as this is first post.
I recently purchased an old used Atlas lathe and have been cleaning all the adjustable gibbs etc and adjusting them best as I can. Everything seems nice and firm now although no gauge has been used. Many youtube guides helped.
However after all adjustment etc I am still getting "same" random lines in the turned finish, it is not smooth. Not sure where to proceed from here so any help will be great.
It is not Timken. It has scoring on the lathe bearing surface but only partly.
I have used the drive setting at the slowest per revolution setting while cutting, turning. I think I am at about half of the fast lathe speed due to only one pully on motor, small pully.
The cutter is HSS but feels sharp. The housing is the pillar style with the adjustable base which is like a woodruff key haha.
By the way I have no idea what is an expected level of achievable finish for this type of older lathe, so I may already be there?
Cheers

I have no idea what is an expected level of achievable finish for this type of older lathe, so I may already be there?

It is not an "older lathe". It is an older "LSO". Lathe Shaped Object.

Not "there" yet. The usual "finish" is as cheap Chinese cast-some-say-it-is "Iron". For barbells and such.

Machinery Discussion Guidelines

Extract:

Also not allowed for discussions on PM now-

*Atlas/ Craftsman/Dunlap products - anywhere

It is not an "older lathe". It is an older "LSO". Lathe Shaped Object.

Not "there" yet. The usual "finish" is as cheap Chinese cast-some-say-it-is "Iron". For barbells and such.

Machinery Discussion Guidelines

Extract:

I think Non-sequitur has summed up the situation well:

You forgot "In before the lock"....

Attachments

• Non-Sequetor-Darwinism.jpg
    Non-Sequetor-Darwinism.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 102
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back