What's new
What's new

Copper barstock vendors

MCritchley

Stainless
We need to purchase a few hundred pounds of copper barstock for an upcoming job, the size is roughly 4x4x2".

Does anyone have a recommended vendor that has material in stock and has reliable delivery? Preferably the vendor would be close close to Wisconsin. I am very aware of all of the local vendors, no one seems to specialize in copper.

Thanks, just got a quote back they are very quite affordable. Farmers were half what online metals is charging

EVERYBODY is half of what online metals charges.. They specialize in LOW QUANTITY!

They are part of Copper and Brass.. One time nobody was answering the phone at online metals,
so we called Copper and Brass, and they walked across the hall and said "How come you guys aren't
answering the phone?". Got a call back in about a minute...

I don't know if Copper and Brass has what you need, but they've been a pretty good company to deal with..
They have more than copper and brass, they are pretty good with the weird aluminums, and stainless.. They
*KNOW* what DFARS is.. They know what certs are.. I needed 12'4" of 1.5"x2" 304 one time.. I was worried
about paying out the nose for that last 4 inches.. The nice lady on the phone.. I think her name was Wendy,
She must have had red curly hair.. She *knew* that they were random lengths, and she had them pull one that
was 12' 6".. That was awesome...

Copper in that size.. Just a guess.. But I think you might have a tough time finding it on the shelf..

Anchor Bronze.. I know.. Bronze.. And they specialize in Bronze.. If its a size or alloy they don't stock,
they just make it.. I needed 18 feet of a 3/4" brass that was an old outdated 1940's spec.. Took a couple of
weeks, but they just made it.. $250. Probably be $750 now, and it wasn't all that long ago.

You could also steal a copper truck.. One of the methods they use makes these big giant thick slabs.. Slice
'em up.. Pure Copper.. Someone stole one from a truck stop down here a while ago.. They drive by the shop all
the time.

Side story.. One time when my folks were out here, we went to Phoenix to see my aunt(actually several times)..
And every time a truck full of copper drove by, I would point and say "Copper".. And every time my Dad would kill
the cruise control and slow down..

"Cheese and Rice...Would you stop F'n Doing that!!!!"..

I thought it was funny..

That dude didn't drive by the shop... But he was only a mile from my house.

Looks like he came out of Safford.. There is a line of copper. Hillsboro, where the copper mine is still trying to get going. The 2 in Silver City, which are essentially the same.. The line keeps going to Safford, and there is one further west and they are all right in a line, you can see it clear as day on google maps. Old volcanos.. Its kind of cool, you can SEE the green in the veins.

Here is a rock I found on my claim.. You can see the end of a spider vein.. I didn't take a pic before I outlined it, I didn't think it would show up.. But it did. I've seen a lot of green rocks, but never saw it go through another rock like that before, I've seen it next to each other, but never through like that. I thought it was cool.

33308434040_d033f8708d_c.jpg

I bought many tons of copper for bus bars from Alro.
They are close to you and deliver over night.

Bob,
That rock reminds me of a rock I found as a kid.
About the size of an adult fist. Several pounds.
It was NOT green, I thought it was "Just a chunk of shiny copper"
Copper colored. It was really malleable. I could beat it with a hammer and form it.

SURE wish I still had it!

Back