Thread: Old files...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe that during the middle ages urine (or at least the nitrates in urine) were used to make gunpowder. In my opinion, it is still used today in some of the craft beers I have tried.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L Vanice View Post
    around 1978 Attachment 330048
    Is that carpet from 1978 also?

3. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    Is that carpet from 1978 also?
    No, the house was built in 1974 and the previous owner liked brown. I replaced his brown bathroom sinks with white, but the basement carpet was too expensive, on top of buying the house. I have covered most of the basement carpet with non-chipmaking equipment, and pay the small visible areas no attention.

Larry

5. Likes Screwmachine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

files make nice vice jaws. is than urine thing real? whats in there that would dissolve steel in a usefull timeframe? sulphuric acid (often) works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Files can be sharpened, it needs an acid to etch out the teeth, there are videos on YouTube, even vinegar does a reasonable job, not taking the piss or anything ! Worth trying as good files are like gold, fed up with these imported things myself they only cut for 5 mins, you’d swear it was case hardened
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have not found any source to buy new files that are as good as my old worn out Craftsman files from the 80's. Even the Swiss and German files are hit or miss, the hardness is all over the place. I also save every old junked file I find to grind into custom tools or forge knives and blades out of. Good old steel always has value so someone.

9. Likes boslab liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Please don't throw away, give away, or discard your old files. Boggs Tool and File Sharpening service is your source for reconditioning old, rusty, dull files. We use steam driven abrasives fine enough to sharpen needle files and robust enough to make 18" rasps like new. As a matter of fact, our customers have told us that they come back sharper than when they were new. Send them to us and be surprised at the inexpensive cost. Boggs Tool & File Sharpening Company.

11. Likes Rob F. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Once upon a time I saw an article in a woodworking magazine written by a fellow in Tennessee who worked in a guitar factory/shop. They had bins full of burned out files. They had a bunch of paring chisels critical for final-fit of guitar pieces. Those chisels often had their lovingly honed edges dinged and nicked from being tossed onto workbenches.

So he took some files from the bins and ground/reworked them into paring chisel blades, then turned handles and made a matching wooden chisel-blade sheath out of rosewood, They were gorgeous. He bothered to inlay silver wire and mother of pearl into them in a vine & leaf pattern. My recollection was that some people starting buying them for fine paring work (not heavy chisel whacking).

So I pulled two small blocks of Chechen, found one of my burned out files, ground all the surfaces clean, and put a razor sharp bevel on it with a final 5-degree secondary bevel at the edge, made a handle and sheath that would slip over the whole chisel blade, and gave that to a friend who worked at a place installing commercial business furniture (e.g. conference room tables, cabinets and such).

A week later I bumped into him and asked him how it was working. With a big smile he let me know it was working like a charm, and the other guys keep trying to "borrow" it, because his chisel never gets dinged edges. The wooden blade sheath keeps the edge exactly as it should be.

Anyway, story time from an Old Guy. Old files are good metal under the surface.