What's new
What's new

Old Gates numbering system

beckerkumm

Hot Rolled
I have an old reference to a variable speed drive belt, Gates RVS 590-48. I can't find any old reference chart to give me the dimensions for that belt. I believe the 48 is 48" in length but can't find a conversion for the 590 for width or angle. If anyone has a cross reference to a new number, I would appreciate the help. Thanks, Dave

Why not measure width and angle and try to cross-reference in a newer catalog?

Probably quicker than finding an old Gates listing.

I did some online searching and several belts with 590 in the part number are actually 59" in length. Have you measured the outside length? Perhaps the 48 is a suffix denoting some other characteristic.

What is the top width? Is it notched (unbanded) or plain (banded)?

Single width or multi width?

I don't have an original belt. I'm attempting to find out if the replacement belts are the proper size as the reeves drives don't seem to have the rpm range they should have ( 1700 vs 2400 ). The replacement belts are 2626 vs 486. I can see the numbering but accessing the belts requires removal of a several hundred lb guard and I don't want to do that if the belts are not the issue. I believe the length is correct, it is the width and angle that are in doubt. Dave

I really don't have a good handle on what you're trying to do, but will offer a 'guess'! If the belt length is too long you won't be able to achieve full speed. If there is an inspection hole where you can see the belt, can you tape a piece of string to it, rotate the drive by hand until the string comes back around, mark the string for the OD, pull it out and measure it. Most belts are sized for length through their theoretical mid section, versus their OD or ID.

What is the application..a machine tool or some other device that uses a Reeves drive?

Stuart

I have contacted Gates. No response yet. If the belts are incorrect i'm hoping to find NOS cheaper than buying from a belt dealer. Is mis typed above, replacements on the machine are 2926-486.

The machine is a Moore Jig Borer #2. Two pairs of reeves connected so they produce a compounded ratio of 15:1. According to the Gates catalog, the 486 belts are 49" long vs what I'm assuming the originals to be of 48". I don't know if 1" is enough to lose that much top end but if the original width was a little different, the error could compound. Dave

Yes, I missed the V here but have been looking at the 471, 477, and 486 choices. 486 is what is on the machine but still unsure if the 2926 matches the old 5690 series. I'm now wondering if the 471 or 477 are better lengths and if that would cure my high speed problem. Dave

Gates got back to me and said 2930 is the proper conversion. the problem now is that the length choices are limited. He suggested 492 but if the current 2926v486 are too long, I'm faced with staying with the 2926, a slightly incorrect angle but with shorter choices of 471 or 477. Hopefully Gates will continue to answer. Dave

Well just the fact that they returned your inquiry should make you jump for joy. My experience is that companies these days rarely respond to email inquiries or even return phone calls...you have to wonder how they stay in business.

Stuart

I'm now wondering if the issue is more than just belt length. The tach moves smoothly to 800 on the low and 1700 on the high and then the coil that energizes the speed control kicks out. It would seem that if the issue was mechanical, the coil would stay energized even though the rpms were not increasing. I don't know how the kick out is adjusted to test that theory. Is there a way to test the rpms on the spindle to see if the tach is accurate? Dave

I ordered a laser tach. Still need to find out how the speed adjustment stops are set. DaveDSCN3833.jpgDSCN3837.jpg The wiring diagrams from 3/16/53 are both still intact inside the two electrical doors. Dave

Back