What's new
What's new

old man shoes

roll maker

Aluminum
As the title says I am at the point where I need shoes that will help with knee pain, foot pain, pre-diabetic, arthritis and lower back disk issue from HS football. Looked at gravity defyer, ortho SAS and others. I would be surprised if no one has similar problems and hasn't attempted to resolve the issue. So what has been your experiences both good and bad?

As the title says I am at the point where I need shoes that will help with knee pain, foot pain, pre-diabetic, arthritis and lower back disk issue from HS football. Looked at gravity defyer, ortho SAS and others. I would be surprised if no one has similar problems and hasn't attempted to resolve the issue. So what has been your experiences both good and bad?

How about having custom orthotics fitted ?

If you're looking for work shoes, have you checked on inserts for good-quality high-top work boots? I like Red Wing steel toe boots but I fit them with aftermarket inserts from a local running store. The variety of special-purpose inserts is surprising (and so is the price; you can easily spend $60 or more on one set of inserts). Your podiatrist can also fit you up with custom inserts for 3X the price, which may be a better match for you.

I don't know how old you are, but at almost 50 I've found that Doc Martins (air soles) and various high end hiking boots all screw my back. What works the best, for me, is hard soles. My daily wear is various English Goodyear soled shoes and boots, no insole; if I go with the Docs or other cushioned soled shoes it's an immediate crapola for the knees hips and back.

That's me; if you're having issues best is ask around for a good orthopedist and see what they say.

An interesting story, one of the guys in work told me, of all the shoes and boots I’ve worn, the best for my aching feet were our blast furnace boots, I must admit I was surprised, at the time I had no foot trouble, the interesting thing about them was that they have wooden soles, or they used to, aka clogs, they didn’t look like clogs, just boots with a thicker sole, you could walk on red hot floor plate, scary in itself, without too much worry, I don’t know the significance of the sole but he swore by them, so much so he wore them outside work, hard to get used to but great for feet was his theory, I would think soft was really the right way to go but maybe just maybe a stiff firm inner might be better, I suppose feet are designed for hard surface use, it’s definitely something I’ve been thinking about, why do people swear by these scholl clog things?, they sell a lot of them over here, it puzzles me, I have had gel inserts and to be honest, waste of time perhaps he was right
Mark

How about having custom orthotics fitted ?

This is the only way to go.

Seriously. Its not the shoes. Its the insoles. You can put them in any pair of shoes you want.

I got em for my snowboard boots. Then I put them in my work boots and could stand on concrete all day in front of a bridgeport without noticing any pain. I was doing 9-3 pretty much straight through at the time.

They are usually around $300 per pair. Or $500 with a lifetime guarantee.

You will love the results.

Red Wing can measure your feet for their orthotic insoles , they're not custom, but they have a wide variety and they help a lot. Mine were$75 a few years back.

Interesting on the wooden soles. There is a specialty shoe store in Stroudsburg Pa and I think he is big on clogs

I must admit having worn them the initial couple of weeks are the worst, after you mould to them I found them comfortable, I put a foam thin insole in at first but after it got tatty i binned them and went commando, never thought it would work but not bending your foot when walking seemed to help with the aching, very counter intuitive
Mark

Hey man, don't worry, you're not alone! I never thought that I would have to admit it, but I'm getting old as well. I was a professional footballer when I was younger, and I could easily run for days! However, it all changes after you turn fifty. I agree with Larry, the Magnum Viper II model is by far the most comfortable pair of shoes that I've ever worn. It's not the cheapest one, but it's definitely worth it. Also, while it doesn't look as fancy and stylish as a new pair of yeezy (lol), it's all about comfort! Good luck.

digger doug in post #2 offers good advice.

Feet and foot problems, and the conditions that cause the problems, vary widely, and it is easy to waste money and make the medical issues worse by believing that because something has worked for someone else's feet, it will work for yours. An expert medical evaluation and getting custom fit by a professional for orthotics or similar is where I think the smart money is. Same sort of deal as us coming to PM with a technical question about, say, bevel gears - we can get a bunch of different answers by trawling the internet, but most of us come here because it's where the pros hang out, and we have found that it's with pro level expertise that the answers we need lie. I am not negging what others have found helpful with medical issues such as yours, but suggesting caution when it comes to believing that their medical experiences are going to work the same magic for you.

-Marty-

Revived by spammer[reported]

I have posted before, I don't have foot problems but my back and knees bother me if my shoes get worn.
I have been wearing hikers for years, the more rigid the better. The soft insole helps my feet but the rigidity stops me from wearing the shoes out. I can break the spine of a lesser pair of boots in 3 months or less. Old boots will not sit on the floor straight, they are twisted when I am done with them

If I can bend a boot without great effort, no good.

I have been wearing Asolo hikers and now Zamberlin

As Marty mentions, everyone is different.

Back