What's new
What's new

Old Parker Spindle Info Needed

jspivey

Aluminum
Hello Everyone,

I was hoping somebody could give me a little information about this Parker Spindle I picked up at an auction today. I wasn't quite sure what it was at the time, but I figured for $5 I wasn't going to get hurt. It appears to have been attached to some sort of poorly made adapter plate that I will remove. A quick google search didn't come up with much information. I'll attach a few pictures I took of the markings and name plate.

I suppose I really want to know, assuming everything is in serviceable shape, what kind of quality should I expect from this spindle and what would it have originally been used for? It seems like a very high quality piece of equipment to my untrained eye. It's rated for 10,000 rpm. I'm tentatively thinking that it might be just the ticket for a tool post grinder. It doesn't show it in the pictures, but it came with about a 12 inch tapered arbor w/ small stone attached to it.

I'm also curious what the proper way to take this think completely apart would be. It doesn't seem to want to come apart, and I'm afraid of damaging something in my ignorance.

Hopefully someone out there knows more than I! Thanks in advance.

-John
7E3C0955-B0A8-4500-8A02-FF4E8F69AB96.jpg24DDF53E-1BAA-4F8A-8AB3-11E371DC15B1.jpgA4C9CA93-29F4-454C-A70E-679581CEF1C2.jpgB77D253A-A81B-4CE6-A098-53333408887E.jpg

I am guessing it is off some sort of Parker Majestic grinder or was a spindle they sold. It appears to be real old as it has a flat belt pulley. I bet it has super precision angular contact bearings in it. Hard to say. If you take some close ups of the end of spindle I could help figuring out how to dismantle it.

Thanks Richard. I’m traveling today, but I’ll try and upload a few more pictures when I get home this evening. I wouldn’t take it apart, but it seems bone dry inside and I’d like to make sure no little pieces of crud got in through the oil holes.

Parker Majestic is still in business so you email them pictures and see what they say. It appears to be bronze bushing inside there. That's a BIG guess though. If the oilers are drip then I suspect the bronze. The hex on the one end might be for turning the spindle a little to lube it before starting it so there is a film of oil turned up between the spindle and bushings. I would also suspect one of the bigger end caps screw off. DoAll used to have screw on end caps, but they were left hand threads and inside their maintenance manual they told you to never open up the spindle. I didn't listen and rebuilt several over the years.

I read it has drip oilers and if they are missing and the crud has gotten in there, You need to open it up and clean it. Be sure to mark the spanner nuts and caps in relation to where they are now, so when you assemble it you get them back in the same spot.

I’ll see if I can get in touch with them. I’m not sure if you can tell in the picture, but the hex is definitely on a threaded part. I can just see about the last 1/4 of the thread coming out. It didn’t want to budge though, so I left it alone.

This might not be logical, but to me it “feels” like bearings when turning it by hand. But then again my knowledge is limited. I’ll see what I can find out.

Thanks again and I’ll update when I have more info.

Back