What's new
What's new

Old S-T Vernier caliper mysterious part

rgar

Plastic
Hello,

New here; hope I'm in correct forum.

I just inherited an old S-T 6" vernier caliper from my father-in law. It was impossible to slide open so I took it apart and cleaned all the parts, etc. Thinking I was done, as I started to put it together a very thin flat piece of metal with a notch in it fell from the mechanism which allows the user to slide the jaws when it is depressed (it's spring loaded). I cannot figure how this piece fits into the sliding mechanism. The caliper still works, of course, but the slide-control locking mechanism is non-functional. I need help if possible.
Thanks.

Richard

Often there is a little strip of brass or something between the lock screw and the body of the calipers so the lock screw does not bear directly on the sliding area. There are also often set screws that bear against this strip to tighten the whole thing up.

I have a few pairs of the Helios vernier calipers that have that metal strip just as Pete described. I've never taken mine out so not sure how to get them back in. If you continue to have a problem let us know and I will figure it out on mine.

Often there is a little strip of brass or something between the lock screw and the body of the calipers so the lock screw does not bear directly on the sliding area. There are also often set screws that bear against this strip to tighten the whole thing up.

One of the spring tempered Bronzes, actually.

But if it isn't bleedin' OBVIOUS how it fits, I don't see any point in taking one of my own S-T's apart.

OP? "just play with it". A light should come on, and back in it goeth.

If not? Go do something else with yer time.

Multidimensional visualization ability, X, Y, Z, TIME, and in alternate parallel possibility sets happens to be one of the bedrock pre-requisites of this entire area of human endeavor.

Yah have it. Or yah do not.

DNA thing, actually.

Can't "attach" learning and experience if the particular sub-set of brain-bones to support it are not already there.

Back