What's new
What's new

Old school boring tool

rke[pler

Diamond
I've got some quick change tooling for my mill, and among the tooling are some old school boring tools. These have holes at the working end for square tools 3/8 and 1/2" with setscrews to hold the tool in place. I've not used anything this old (spoiled with boring heads with micrometer adjusts) and I'm assuming that the idea is to set a tool under size, run a hole, then adjust the tool out against an indicator for the difference to get the hole that you want.

20210628_140711_resize_21.jpg
But I find myself wondering if anyone every made a 3/8" square tool that was micrometer adjustable, sort of like the DeVlieg inserts for their heads?

Dunno about the tool you describe but one of the most accurate ways to set that pattern of bore bar is to use a DTI - with a flat elephants foot

Last edited:
That's more typically considered a lathe boring bar, where the cross slide does the adjusting, not the bit within the bar itself. You can do as Limy suggests, but please don't use an elephant's foot - they're an endangered species, and it would cruel to remove one of their feet just for measuring purposes.

Actually I have made a boring bar with a graduated advance, but using a much smaller tool bit and it was a between-centers bar. It amounts to a small cartridge and a 40 tpi thread for a moderately controlled movement.

Actually I have made a boring bar with a graduated advance, but using a much smaller tool bit and it was a between-centers bar. It amounts to a small cartridge and a 40 tpi thread for a moderately controlled movement.

At the shop I worked we had a set of micro adjusting boring bars, just as you described, I used alot on the Horizonal boring mill.

I've never seen a square bit boring bar with "micrometer" adjustment. We used round shank bits with a set screw under them for adjustment with an indicator and a side set screw to keep them in place after setting with the indicator.

I've got some quick change tooling for my mill, and among the tooling are some old school boring tools. These have holes at the working end for square tools 3/8 and 1/2" with setscrews to hold the tool in place. I've not used anything this old (spoiled with boring heads with micrometer adjusts) and I'm assuming that the idea is to set a tool under size, run a hole, then adjust the tool out against an indicator for the difference to get the hole that you want.

View attachment 323666
But I find myself wondering if anyone every made a 3/8" square tool that was micrometer adjustable, sort of like the DeVlieg inserts for their heads?

Yes. Giddings & Lewis made one like that. I have one with a 4 morse taper 1¼-1½. Never used it. Here's one for sale on Ebay

GIDDINGS & LEWIS DAVIS BORING BAR No. 121 STYLE SUPER 1-1/2-2" RANGE ADJUSTABLE | eBay

Back