What's new
What's new

OT: Attack threads on specific members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottl

Diamond
I'm not one to normally discourage free and vigorous debate, but this morning when I logged on I once again saw traces of a deleted thread that named a specific member by name, and not in a complimentary manner.

This is not the first time personal feuds have escalated to this level and IMO it should be the last. I would like to see a policy where after sufficient warning to all members those who start such defamatory threads get a couple days off in addition to having the thread deleted.

There has always been vigorous and often contentious debate here but it seems to be escalating to a level that harms this otherwise great and useful forum.

Just my opinion, but I suspect many others share it.

I'm not one to normally discourage free and vigorous debate, but this morning when I logged on I once again saw traces of a deleted thread that named a specific member by name, and not in a complimentary manner.

This is not the first time personal feuds have escalated to this level and IMO it should be the last. I would like to see a policy where after sufficient warning to all members those who start such defamatory threads get a couple days off in addition to having the thread deleted.

There has always been vigorous and often contentious debate here but it seems to be escalating to a level that harms this otherwise great and useful forum.

I suspect more might share the view that if some nimrod thinks its ok to ooze their usual 'I hate trump' juice over someones 'was discovered I have bowel/colon cancer' thread, they might deserve a lulzy jab or three.

I agree, it's one of the aspects of the forum that I find most distasteful. I find it difficult to see what some of the more prolific political soap-boxers get from their constant ranting. It doesn't seem to produce any kind of satisfaction for them.

To my mind, it would seem that constantly spouting this rhetoric and bile might well cause an ulcer. I can't imagine why anyone would want to constantly do this. The mind could certainly be put to much better use in my opinion. This kind of stuff only serves to make politics even more divisive. What is needed is for folks to come together and make some GD compromises and understand that there is no "right" way to do things that is the same for every person. Politics and government here is getting to the point of ridiculousness. The "right" way changes every time the wind blows and someone from another party gets elected. This is untenable, and can't continue if this country is to keep healthy in the long term. Perhaps we are now in the decline similar to Rome.

I suspect more might share the view that if some nimrod thinks its ok to ooze their usual 'I hate trump' juice over someones 'was discovered I have bowel/colon cancer' thread, they might deserve a lulzy jab or three.

Preferably they would just be told to stop. Now. Anything else just leads to more OT spouting that absolutely does NOT belong in that thread. This is one area in which the moderation could very much improve upon.

And good on you Scott for moving this discussion away from there. Hopefully the persons disrupting that thread will be adult enough to do the same. Give that man some peace and let him feel the love and kindness that he needs, not the vile and insulting spew that was starting in there.

I don't mind having a few free for all threads going, in fact sometimes it's relieving to wallow in and throw a few jabs. It needs to stop spilling into the rest of the site though.

... difficult to see what some of the more prolific political soap-boxers get from their constant ranting. ...

It's spilling over here because the moderator at the pickle barrel forum is fed up with that shit and locking the threads when they've gone too far.

It's spilling over here because the moderator at the pickle barrel forum is fed up with that shit and locking the threads when they've gone too far.

Yep, we had what, three weeks of relative civility? Now the nonsense has spilled over from its relative containment in America and Europe to General and even Owners' subforums.

The standard internet policy is Don't Feed the Troll!

If you ignore attacks, no matter how nasty and unfair, they may try to get a rise a few more times, but will eventually wander off.

If you don't want to read a thread... don't click on it, I know personal responsibility is hard.

It's not that simple. Those thread titles show up on the main PM page where not only members but the general public can view them. They do not lend a professional appearance to what is otherwise one of the most professional forums on the web.

Yep, we had what, three weeks of relative civility? Now the nonsense has spilled over from its relative containment in America and Europe to General and even Owners' subforums.

Once any thread goes political it becomes a political thread. Simple as that. The thread of manual repair shops is a good example and it started in post #15.

I got burned out with the political back and forth so don't (try not to) drop in to read those threads.
They still running... LOL

I wouldn't know.
I'd say most anyone cruising the site can follow the same policy- If the thread stinks leave it.
I'd also say by and large the forum is coming along just fine with good threads and information dominating.

PM members can go a long way towards reducing the political bs by simply stop posting in those threads.
Changing the nature of the beast is a bit of a long shot- just stop participating in rotten political fisticuff threads.

You have to be a special kind of immature d-bag to dox somebody.

I got burned out with the political back and forth so don't (try not to) drop in to read those threads.
They still running... LOL

I wouldn't know.
I'd say most anyone cruising the site can follow the same policy- If the thread stinks leave it.
I'd also say by and large the forum is coming along just fine with good threads and information dominating.

PM members can go a long way towards reducing the political bs by simply stop posting in those threads.
Changing the nature of the beast is a bit of a long shot- just stop participating in rotten political fisticuff threads.

Staying away from a thread that was intended to be a shit show and being chased out of one that was intended to be a professional discussion are two very different things.

No it didn't

Then where did it start. The first mention of anyone political was in post $15 when standardparts mentioned Biden. If it wasn't then when was it? Biden is mentioned no less than five times in his post.

This is post #15 from that thread:

Apparently the big players who are calling the shots at California ports were unaware of President Biden's promise that the ports will operate 2/7. "LA ports a ghost town much of the weekend despite Biden's goal to move cargo"...."Despite President Joe Biden's goal to move cargo around the clock in Los Angeles ports, the gates remained shut on Sunday with a smattering of open traffic on Saturday."....."Most shipping companies are foreign and did not attend Biden’s briefing and don’t care about what he or the landlord think,”........

LA ports a ghost town much of the weekend despite Biden's goal to move cargo

Staying away from a thread that was intended to be a shit show and being chased out of one that was intended to be a professional discussion are two very different things.

I used to tell my guy this has gotten to a "Who shot George" discussion.

If a thread turns to shit- leave it.
Trying to parse who is responsible and what role all the players have in it is a waste of time to my mind.
Probably a waste of the mods time as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back