What's new
What's new

Old school DoAll vertical band saw. Opinions on this machine?

abadsvt

Plastic
Im looking for a larger (Approx 36" bandsaw) and came across someone in my area who has an older DoAll 36" just sitting in his warehouse. He has 3 different old DoAll's just sitting. I know the older models are worth fixing up and are better than new ones. I feel like he might be asking a little to much $ though. According to him this machine came out of a large air plane company that was liquidating there assests. I guess he bought it for $4200 and thats what he wants to get out of it. It could use a some paint but everything works great. Whats your opinions on this band saw and the price? I have seen a large range of pricing on this model from $2200 to $6000. Thanks

Josh

Attachments

• DoAll band saw.jpg
    DoAll band saw.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 833
  • DoAll band saw 2.jpg
    DoAll band saw 2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 479
The smaller Doall saws have a 3/4 tapped hole for a lifting eye on top of the upper arm. That price seems high to me where in Ca are you N or S?
Bil lD.

Im looking for a larger (Approx 36" bandsaw) and came across someone in my area who has an older DoAll 36" just sitting in his warehouse. He has 3 different old DoAll's just sitting. I know the older models are worth fixing up and are better than new ones. I feel like he might be asking a little to much $ though. According to him this machine came out of a large air plane company that was liquidating there assests. I guess he bought it for $4200 and thats what he wants to get out of it. It could use a some paint but everything works great. Whats your opinions on this band saw and the price? I have seen a large range of pricing on this model from $2200 to $6000. Thanks

Josh

"Many wheeler" deep-throat "heavy" bandsaws we mostly have DoAll in North America or Kasto in Europe left standing.

Might want to check the model # with DoAll to see if parts can still be had. May never need any, but still - downtime as it can be, store-bought supportable is generally worth more than DIY unobtanium orphaned.

I'd have a hard time paying $4200 for that particular saw as it looks a bit rusty and like a very basic model. I can't see the speed range it has....what is it?

Seems kind expensive for the condition its in. Probably a solid machine but for that kinda $$$ I would expect something that's been cared for a little better than this one. Do you need the deep throat? Seems the 20" flavor DoAlls go for about $2k with welder etc.

i bought a 36” on but it has more cutting height. i payed $1k for it. came with a few roles of blades as well. also it had all the guides

The real answer is 'How badly do you need it' If need is urgent you can wait until a more reasonably priced one appears. If urgently needed it is worth whatever you are willing to pay.

Brand name Vertical saws typically sell for about $100 / inch of throat, but that’s for a saw in reasonable working condition that can be verified under power. My current variable speed 20” DoAll has air sliding table and came with a welder, blade stock, a good installed blade and a a stock guide for 2k.

That machine looks pretty basic and rough, no way I’d pay the ask.

Ryan

I would think 4200 would be a plug & play price not a take home and cleanup price & for 4200 I would want a fence and miter attachment. I see it has the fance mount on it Ken

Based on my experience that machine in that condition would not sell for any more than $1500 at auction. And that would be absolute top dollar price. The max retail that I would go on it, assuming that it runs, would be $2500. As it sits it needs a ton of work just to get it cleaned up. And it would probably be a safe assumption that it needs new belts and tires which means more cash outlay on your part. There's no way that I would pay the asking of $4200.

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the comments. I am gonna pass on this. I do need a bandsaw sooner than later but I want to get a good bandsaw and a good price. I wasn't sure if this one was just worth more than others because of some reason i wasn't aware of. Thank you!

Josh

The high low transmission is very expensive. Check that for slop end play and noise. It has a weighted feed system but parts missing. No fence.
That's 1940's era. They are good saws.
$1,000 to $ 1500 to high,
Make him demonstrate the blade welder to prove function
If it runs smooth and its location is convenient to avoid shipping its not that far out on price
I would rather buy a 70 year old saw that needs paint and cleaning than one slathered with paint over grease and the table sanded with an angle grinder.
That saw will clean up pretty easy and is good quality.
Check the two speed transmission. That is a make or break item.
New comparable saw is about $30,000 and not much has changed.
In that era some of the variable speed sheavs were made of bakeolite. They get grooves worn in them.
Good saw.

just bought a 36'' doall with more height capacity,15 hp, variable speed,new blade(still in the box) paid $400 for it loaded on my trailor.

I've been idly watching DoAll verticals. Seems to be the kind of machine that you have to own one to learn about them, sort of like my old 1970 International Loadstar. Is there some resource that describes the various features and model numbers? I want one with one of those cool gravity-driven powerfeeds and a good blade welder. Many times I can't tell if there's any feed system or not because they don't show the machine from the right angle. I'd sure like to understand their model names.

metalmagpie

I've been idly watching DoAll verticals. Seems to be the kind of machine that you have to own one to learn about them, sort of like my old 1970 International Loadstar. Is there some resource that describes the various features and model numbers? I want one with one of those cool gravity-driven powerfeeds and a good blade welder. Many times I can't tell if there's any feed system or not because they don't show the machine from the right angle. I'd sure like to understand their model names.

metalmagpie

The gravity feed system your talking about is actually a cast iron weight in the bottom of the case that has cables and pully's connected to it.
It is gravity in a since. The pully's and cables connect to a chain that connects to a piece that goes behind the workpiece being cut and the weight pulls against the workpiece.
The way to tell by looking at the outside of the lower casing is it will have that foot peddle In the lower right in the picture above.

Its that slotted opening at the bottom right. You step on the peddle to raise the weight and you adjust your chain length to remove any slack . Then when you take your foot off the weight peddle the weight pulls and applies pressure. The weight slides on a steel bar to adjust and apply more pressure or less pressure as needed.
I have basically the same saw pictured above.
Go to vintage machinery.org then to [ Do All ] then to publication reprints for more information.

DoALL Co., Inc. - Publication Reprints - DoAll Attachments | VintageMachinery.org

The high low transmission is very expensive. Check that for slop end play and noise. It has a weighted feed system but parts missing. No fence.
That's 1940's era. They are good saws.
$1,000 to $ 1500 to high,
Make him demonstrate the blade welder to prove function
Those old blade welders don't work on bi metal blades for some reason. The welder works on carbon steel blades on my 50's Do All but I need to use the welder on my Grob to weld Bi Metal blades.

metalmagpie

The first two digits is the throat depth 36" in this case. the third and forth numbers are the max height that can be cut under the guide, often 12". So a 1612 is a 16" saw that has a 12" depth of cut. A 3612 is a 36" saw that also has 12" depth of throat.
Bill D

Some good info here! I wasn't aware how the DoAll did there model numbers so that was good to know. Also some good info on how the saw works. Since i have never used one before its nice to get that info. He will deliver to me so that was a big plus and there isn't any semi locally. I would have to travel a few hundred miles at least. Now i don't mind traveling if i have to but always easier to have it delivered. I did want a bandsaw with a 12" height of cut though. I have a large 12x12x12 cast iron square that i was wanting to cut into smaller pieces since its really heavy to move.

If you were to pick a DoAll vertical bandsaw what year and model do you think is there "Best" one for metal cutting with a 12" height. Don't necessarily need a 36" deep throat but i guess you will never know until you need it!

Thanks

Back