What's new
What's new

Opinions on Clausing 5900 12-Inch Lathe

Jarrod

Aluminum
Had a look at one recently. Seems like a nicely setup machine. I like that it has a clutch, whisper quiet when idling.

I'm considering buying one of these 12-inch Clausing lathes with a short bed, 24-inch between centres. Does anybody have an opinion based on experience about them? It's a 5900 series from 1970, but runs very quiet and shifts cleanly. The fellow is only selling it because he wants the real-estate and does all his work on his larger lathe.

I'd also appreciate thoughts about value with standard tooling. It will come with the three-jaw, four-jaw, drill chuck and typical small articles. It has a four-way tool post (not the lantern type)... That's all I see.

Let me know what your think about this one.

Thanks.

See, if it was a 36" centre machine I would snap it up no question, but I already have an 11 X 20 Standard Modern, just slightly smaller.

Price is around $2k CND. Looks and sounds like it's in good condition. It sounds great for its age, bed looks like its in good condition, no noticeable wear and tear.

I own a 5936 and enjoy running it. It does everything it was designed to do, and does it well, with no bad habits. For a machine in the condition you describe, along with some basic tooling, 2k Canadian sounds reasonable.

-Marty-

I own a 5936 and enjoy running it. It does everything it was designed to do, and does it well, with no bad habits. For a machine in the condition you describe, along with some basic tooling, 2k Canadian sounds reasonable.

-Marty-

Thanks Marty,

Have you had any need or trouble finding tooling? The spindle is both tapered and threaded, Correct? Does the spindle mounted tooling just use an adapter or are the tools proprietary and only Clausing series tooling can be used?

Just be aware that that series lathes had a hydraulic speed control system that works great when it works. But if some reason it breaks down, there are no repair parts available. This has been discussed at length here.

Tom

I have a 1968 vintage Clausing 4901, I was basicly never used so everything is really nice and tight. I only do light work and I love it.

I think condition has everything to do with it, I think of this lathe as kind of new old stock Chevy truck, nice good quality American iron.... made to get the job done back then and since it was not worn out it can get that same job done today. And do it a lot better than any imports.

Now I refer to it as a Chevy truck, it is not the finest lathe in the world but it is good and solid. My other lathes are all Rivetts, they are higher quality and more precise, more like maybe a Mercedes truck?

If it is in good shape an well tooled, go for it! I paid top dollar for mine 4901, about 3 1/2 k plus going a 1000 Miles to get it. But it was fully loaded, almost every accessory Clausing made for it plus Fims tool post and 6 jaw Buck chuck! All near new!

Thanks Marty,

Have you had any need or trouble finding tooling? The spindle is both tapered and threaded, Correct? Does the spindle mounted tooling just use an adapter or are the tools proprietary and only Clausing series tooling can be used?

The L-00 spindle nose setup consists of a male taper with drive key, and then a threaded ring designed to lock the mating female tapered chuck or other item to the spindle, via a mating male thread on the chuck or whatever else you might be mounting. Any L-00 mount spindle tool should work if specified as such. There is a #4-1/2 Morse Taper in the spindle bore opening, and an adapter is required in order to use 5C collets.

Tooling can be found on eBay, and is still sold by the "big catalog" industrial suppliers. L-00 as a spindle configuration isn't yet dead, it appears.

Y*hoo also has a Clausing forum, where a fair amount of info about the product line resides.

Just be aware that that series lathes had a hydraulic speed control system that works great when it works. But if some reason it breaks down, there are no repair parts available. This has been discussed at length here.

Tom

Thanks Tom, that's the sort of things I'm wondering about.

The L-00 spindle nose setup consists of a male taper with drive key, and then a threaded ring designed to lock the mating female tapered chuck or other item to the spindle, via a mating male thread on the chuck or whatever else you might be mounting. Any L-00 mount spindle tool should work if specified as such. There is a #4-1/2 Morse Taper in the spindle bore opening, and an adapter is required in order to use 5C collets.

Tooling can be found on eBay, and is still sold by the "big catalog" industrial suppliers. L-00 as a spindle configuration isn't yet dead, it appears.

Y*hoo also has a Clausing forum, where a fair amount of info about the product line resides.

Thanks Specfab. I couldn't find any details about the spindle in the manual or elsewhere. Much appreciated.

L00 is definitely not an 'unobtainium' type of mount for chucks. You can still buy new backing plates from places. Hardinge still sells a L00 back for their sjogren chuck. While it's not super common, I didn't have trouble finding chucks for a L00 lathe on the used market. There are a couple of tool dealers on the net who have L00 chucks in stock from time to time, but people snatch them up fairly quickly.

If you do break a part, it will be hard to find a replacement part. However, clausing will give you the drawings for the part so you can make your own replacement (last I heard they charged a small administrative fee but I'm not sure and don't quote me on it).

The clausings (not same model) at school had the hydraulic speed controls. They wanted to drift and some had a wire to hold them. Absolutely do not move the variable lever without the motor running. Blows out the seals. Probably what happened to them. Good practice would be to move to slow speed before shutting down.
I think the ones I ran were a 1230 size. I liked the lathe and the only drawback I saw was the lead screw is also the feed bar.

Dave

Thanks Marty,

Specfab has done a good job of answering the spindle Q. He has also referenced the Yahoo users' group, which is a good source of information, both general info and info on used Clausing parts availability. Tony's site lathes.co.uk has a good bit of data on these lathes.

For a number of applications, non-Clausing items can be and are commonly used. Examples are collets (my 5C set is Hardinge), toolpost (mine is Aloris), and VFD (not all these machines used the hydraulic system). Clausing tooling is out there, but as with all these old manual machines, you may need some patience in unearthing it. Also, manuals for your machine with exploded parts diagrams can be had.

-Marty-

I needed a lathe with a longer distance between centers for barrel work that also used the same spindle tooling as my little 12 1/2"x 18" Cincinnati Traytop (LOO spindle) so I bought a Clausing 5914 (also LOO spindle). The hydraulic speed control is kind of a PITA but for the most part it works OK. I consider the Clausing a light duty machine compared to the Traytop, but it still gets the job done.

Had a look at one recently. Seems like a nicely setup machine. I like that it has a clutch, whisper quiet when idling.

I'm considering buying one of these 12-inch Clausing lathes with a short bed, 24-inch between centres. Does anybody have an opinion based on experience about them? It's a 5900 series from 1970, but runs very quiet and shifts cleanly. The fellow is only selling it because he wants the real-estate and does all his work on his larger lathe.

I'd also appreciate thoughts about value with standard tooling. It will come with the three-jaw, four-jaw, drill chuck and typical small articles. It has a four-way tool post (not the lantern type)... That's all I see.

Let me know what your think about this one.

Thanks.

I have owned a 5914 for about 10 years now...

This lathe can be called the ultimate hobbyist lathe... I jumped on the band wagon after seeing it in a popular youtube channel.
The clutch and brake are great on any lathe.
The tool post is a common garden variety BXA size...
The tail stock is a MT#3
I have used 5914's with VFD's, rotary phase converters and even static converters...all of which have their merits and all work the lathe well.
Chucks are not all over the place but if you are patient they can be found. I found a 6 jaw buck and a hardinge collet chuck for less than $200 each...

It has been my money pit... In my case the lathe I bought had operator error kinda damage. The sliding gear was damaged, the quick change gear box had issues, the apron had some troubles....All of which were caused by operators...

While the variable speed is nice it can be a real pain. Seeing the lathe under power is kinda important.

While they dont make these lathes any more some of the common stuff is available from Clausing for a price.

So even though I complain about this lathe and how much I have invested.... something to replacement the stuff it can do is kinda hard to find in this price range....

BTW if ya heed a spare head stock I have one here somewhere... Such a deal I could make ya...

I have a 5914, mid 70s vintage. I did have issues with the Reeves drive, so I converted to VFD, which I think is much better, and now runs on single phase. I also had to replace gearbox and spindle hub (back gear) and motor bearings. After that it is a fine lathe. It is pretty easy to get L00 back plates and fit to "plain back" or "A" series chucks. For smaller mounts you will want the screws on the front face of the chuck. I have 3, 4 jaw, ER16 collet chuck, plus the 5C spindle adapter, so lots of options.

I'm headed up to Michigan on Wednesday to look at a Clausing 5907 that's stuck in 1 gear. The machine is in excellent condition otherwise and will come loaded with every kind of tooling I'll ever need. My question for you guys is this. Will installing a simple VFD drive bypass the vari-speed issue? Also, is that about the only issue these things are known for having? Just wondering if I should pass or purchase is all, thanks in advance for any and all responses/help.

I'm headed up to Michigan on Wednesday to look at a Clausing 5907 that's stuck in 1 gear. The machine is in excellent condition otherwise and will come loaded with every kind of tooling I'll ever need. My question for you guys is this. Will installing a simple VFD drive bypass the vari-speed issue? Also, is that about the only issue these things are known for having? Just wondering if I should pass or purchase is all, thanks in advance for any and all responses/help.

I have a 5914.

I'd be checking for excessive wear, but the reeves drive can be fixed. I'd also try turning something, for the experience.

Lots of people do go to a straight VFD solution, eliminating the reeves drive. This kinda works - one can have too little low-speed torque for many operations. I use a VFD plus the reeves drive. The VFD mainly generates 3-phase from 240 Vac split phase power, but it also allows one to slow the lathe to a crawl, for checking setups - at that speed and lack of torque, a "crash" simply stops the spindle without drama.

Do check if the lower pulley assembly is wobbling on the motor shaft. This too can be fixed, but it requires access to another lathe.

From the little information provided, I'd guess that there is air in the hydraulic system. This is very common, and easy to fix. You may want to replace all the oil seals, and the hydraulic fluid.

Last edited:
To bleed : Turn the control handle past the lowest speed setting as far as it will go ,hold for 1 minute . Do this with the lathe running. DO NOT use brake fluid. ISO 32 oil is fine ,hydraulic jack oil can be used. BE sure the oil level can be seen at all times.
That late a lathe should have the box MC I believe. Seals for the later slave cylinder [takes 2] MC-C # 9505K19. Call Clausing with the serial number and they will send you a PDF manual for that serial FREE ! Love my 5914 !

Back