What's new
What's new

Opportunity to buy a Nardini MS1640E

dieselpolaris

Plastic
Came across a nardini ms1640e lathe that is not that far away from me. Asking price is 1000 dollars. Have done some research and have found parts are not available. The gentleman that has the lathe does not know a whole lot about it just that it was in a shop where the owner passed away. From the pictures he sent me it does include an 8 inch 3 jaw chuck and a drill chuck in the tailstock. No rests are included and he didnt know if it had change gears but i was hoping maybe those are stored in a cabinet by the gearbox but i am not sure. If it is in decent shape is it worth purchasing? I am upgrading from a south bend 9 inch i just recently sold. Any input appreciated. Thanks

I've had the displeasure of running 2 Nardinis in my life. One new, one old. Both were POS.

bought my Nardini cnc 17x40 used in 2002 was 7 year sold lightly used. gear head engine lathe, iron of the machine like a rock, solid and accurate. The Fanuc 20TA that drove it failed on a monthly basis and parts even used cost a fortune, while my PC driven knee mill with Mektronics board and software ran every day for 10+ years, and if I needed an electronic part, I could get it from Compgeeks or the local pc guy. your issue will be what you said, finding parts if it breaks or you break it mechanically, Nardini been gone for a while and the support is hard to find and expensive as are the parts. if your good at fixing shit by yourself, for $1000 take a chance if you go there and run it thru its paces and it sounds good. for me, in 10 or so years the iron and basic electrics of the Nardini never failed, just the Fanuc stuff.

Well I ended up buying it. It is in pretty good condition. Ways have minimal wear and everything seems functional. I lucked out and ended up looking through a bin the machinery movers took out of same shop the lathe came from and I Found all the change gears minus the 40 tooth, steady and solid rests, and 4 jaw bison chuck for it. I don’t think it seen that heavy of use. I do know there are better machines out there but for the price it was hard to turn down. It is quite an upgrade from my south end 9 inch so looking forward to making some chips with it!

Measure the OD of your 47t gear and post it. Then someone with a different sized Nardini can measure theirs. Point is to find out if you can use a 40t gear from any Nardini or just a 1640.

metalmagpie

Well I ended up buying it. It is in pretty good condition. Ways have minimal wear and everything seems functional. I lucked out and ended up looking through a bin the machinery movers took out of same shop the lathe came from and I Found all the change gears minus the 40 tooth, steady and solid rests, and 4 jaw bison chuck for it. I don’t think it seen that heavy of use. I do know there are better machines out there but for the price it was hard to turn down. It is quite an upgrade from my south end 9 inch so looking forward to making some chips with it!

the changegears are 20*module ones?

Meant to say follow not steady! Had a brain fart there! And i know for sure the gears are the same between the 1440 and 1640 because I ended up with the gears that were for a 1440 he already sold so I have doubles of some gears and they are the same size if they have the same tooth count. Just was no 40 tooth to be found!

parts not so much available,but if using in a non commercial environment,,,great price,good score.Only thing I hated on the Nardini I have used is no foot brake,,other than that all good

Meant to say follow not steady! Had a brain fart there! And i know for sure the gears are the same between the 1440 and 1640 because I ended up with the gears that were for a 1440 he already sold so I have doubles of some gears and they are the same size if they have the same tooth count. Just was no 40 tooth to be found!

Any chance of getting hold of the other guy? Maybe he also has some duplicate gears (40T?) and you guys work a trade to each others benefit.

We had several Nardini 1440 lathes at school. They worked well and were accurate lathes. Well enough designed that I enjoyed using them. Didn’t have any problems, so don’t know about repair or costs.

Back