What's new
What's new

Options for inexpensive storage cabinets?

aarongough

Stainless
Hey guys!
I need a number of cabinets for parts that are mixed in size and weight, but not heavy enough to justify anything near as heavy-duty (or expensive) as Lista cabinets. Currently I use rubbermaid boxes and just slide them under my benches, but I want something smaller to let me divide things up better. These cabinets will be used for storage of things like pneumatic components, electrical components, small material cutoffs, spare parts, etc... Likely total weight of parts per cabinet (5-6 drawers) would be less than 60lbs.

These 'Helmer' cabinets from Ikea are the perfect size, but too light-duty:

11"W x 17"D x 27"H

I know cabinets like this used to be common in offices for file cards and such, but I can't seem to find a good source now...

Any help appreciated!
-Aaron

I would try used furniture places too if you have any local.

Not sure of your definition of inexpensive, but have you checked McMaster? This doesn't seem out of line price wise...

McMaster-Carr

Can't speak to their quality, but pretty much anything that is a commodity type item that I need to "request a quote" NOPE.

They're a manufacturer, they don't sell direct.

I asked on the chat for a distributor in my area, called them with a part # and got price and delivery.

So easy a Caveman could do it!

They're a manufacturer, they don't sell direct.

I asked on the chat for a distributor in my area, called them with a part # and got price and delivery.

So easy a Caveman could do it!

Me Neanderthal, no smart as caveman! :D :D

Seriously, just a pet peeve of mine. I mean Haas can do it with machine tools, why can't everyone do eet?? :soapbox:

How about using boxes or making dividers inside the drawers of decent quality file cabinets? I have a couple of Hon filing cabinets that seem amply sturdy for small parts. Paper, the intended load, is quite heavy!

Not the same size, but how about budget roll around tool boxes.

Problem is they are not so much budget priced anymore. Looks like a somewhat larger (kennedy size roller) one from horror freight is $300. But OP hasn't clarified what is a reasonable price, or how much he is willing to pay.

Problem is they are not so much budget priced anymore. Looks like a somewhat larger (kennedy size roller) one from horror freight is $300. But OP hasn't clarified what is a reasonable price, or how much he is willing to pay.

Yeah budget is a definite concern in this case. I did previously price out some cabinets from Rousseau, they are about $580 + tax for a 24x18x27" 5 drawer cabinet. I have seen them in person and they are excellent quality, but honestly they are overbuilt for what I am going to use them for.

Ideally I would want ~40-50 drawers worth of cabinets so the price would stack up really fast at that point. The ikea version is only $50 each, but they are very flimsy. Something twice the price and half as flimsy (:D) would be perfect but I don't think it exists.

The suggestion for tool chests is a good one, I had looked around before and not really seen much that was affordable except for really bottom-barrel chests. However I looked again and did just find some 5 drawer cabinets that actually look really reasonable and have good reviews on sale for $195 (canadian) each, they are normally $300 each which is still reasonable I think... They have ball bearing slides, are rated for 100lb per drawer and 600lb overall, and the design is a lot more understated than most cabinets I see that have big logos and such on them. Plus the drawer pulls have full-length flat fronts, perfect for putting labels on! :cloud9: it's a small detail but none of my other cabinets have handles that make labelling easy.

Ideally I would like to be able to source identical cabinets going forward as I'm designing new workbenches around the cabinets, which is why I hesitate to buy used as getting a large matched set will likely be difficult.

I will buy a couple of the ones I just found and report back once I get them!

I have a funny double door 6 foot by foot deep closet due to renovations in the building long ago. When I moved in I bought a wall of cheapo plastic drawers from the Home Despot or wherever. End mills drills nuts bolts. Drawer for every number letter and fractional drill, 2, 3, 4 flute endmill HSS and carbide

And a sharpie to label the drawer with whatever you just put in it

1. If you can find somebody selling off used microfiche cabinets the can be very cheap, and are kind of heavily built. Either use the separate "tunnels" inside, or drill out the rivets to make a wide flat drawer.

2. I've gone to (mostly) an arrangement with wire shelves (on wheels) and various on-shelf plastic bins. (I think "shelf bins" is the magic phrase.)
https://simplastics.com/bins-containers/shelf-bins
https://www.uline.com/BL_1873/Mobile-Shelving or
https://simplastics.com/shelving-with-bins/shelving-units-with-bins/shelf/4-inch-high-shelf-bins

Note that you'll need to do some hunt/search, decide if the lighter cheaper shelving home depot sells is OK (the parts interchange, the uline wheels are way better) and of course match depths, widths, heights - and single stack (what I do) versus 2-stack per shelf.

I like the "shelf bins" because they come in various heights, lengths, widths you can match up to cabinets/shelves.

And then add shaller bins or the like for little bitty parts.

Those look pretty nice! They are made from 18 gauge steel as well which is much heaver than the other cheap ones I was looking at. I don't like the style as much, but I do have a craftsman rolling tool chest right next to me that looks *exactly* the same and it's 25+ years old, so it seems like getting them to match wouldn't be an issue :D

Only problem is I cannot find that model for sale anywhere in Canada... The only places that carry Craftsman tool chests here are Rona and Lowes, and they only carry the '1000 series' bottom chest, which is much thinner steel (24ga). The price? $250CAD

If I could get the one you linked at regular exchange rate pricing that would be a good deal for sure!

Watch the Canadian Tire flyer. A couple of times a year they have toolboxes at around half price. Their more expensive boxes are not Lista Rousseau quality but are not bad and when they are on sale they are a good deal.

Back