What's new
What's new

OT Radio Garden...amazing

I didn't do any research, but in Houston it played samba music of some sort. So how does it choose what gets played? I was expecting Lady gaga.

I suspect the radio stations pay a fee to be included. Then they up-link their audio to a satellite which sends it to a central location where it is converted to streaming audio and sent to the listeners via the internet, just like streaming video sources like Amazon, Roku, and hundreds/thousands of others are.

It is a grand bargain for the radio station because for that fee they instantly get a world wide audience.

I didn't do any research, but in Houston it played samba music of some sort. So how does it choose what gets played? I was expecting Lady gaga.

I want to thank Ray for sending me the link to that site. It's so amazing to cruise all around the world and listen to music of other cultures. Given a choice between 'Metallica' or 'Radio Oman', there is little doubt who I'd choose.:eek:

Thanks again Ray.

Stuart

Its a non-profit, run by a Dutch University. No fees to the station. But no guarantee that any particular station will be chosen, either. If you are talking Sudan, they probably cover most of the Stations. But in the USA, where there are 15,000 plus stations, somebody in Holland is making editiorial decisions about which ones to choose, and, my guess is they always choose quirky over a station that is number 50 of the stations simulcasting the same thing. They have a web crawler program, so it only finds online radio.

It may randomly chooses the first station it finds, but once it buffers up the area it will give you a choice of all available stations.
Just looked at Motherland and it took a few minutes to load up, but it eventually found like 100+ stations, even tiny fly-by ones, which makes me think that there is no signup
per-se, just a random geographical search of all available radio streams.

Before this, I would use google maps, go to the area of interest and then type in the search box "radio station".

Seems to have local advertising dropped into the stream (unless the UK Gov is doing a census in Morocco! and there's a Tesco in Timbuktu)

Its a non-profit, run by a Dutch University. No fees to the station. But no guarantee that any particular station will be chosen, either. If you are talking Sudan, they probably cover most of the Stations. But in the USA, where there are 15,000 plus stations, somebody in Holland is making editiorial decisions about which ones to choose, and, my guess is they always choose quirky over a station that is number 50 of the stations simulcasting the same thing. They have a web crawler program, so it only finds online radio.

Great find, Ray.

Amazing. I foresee many hours poking around on this one.

I remember as a kid, I spent a lot of time on winter evenings listening to far off AM stations. Later, I got an old Collins R-390A, listened to a lot of shortwave broadcast. I still have the old Collins set, it's still an impressive performer though not as much to listen to now.

I only bump this up as Ray and I had a long phone call the other day and we touched on this. I guess I find it a bit disheartening that you can click on many of the radio stations, even in far away countries, and often..or many times, get either a Farmers Insurance ad, a Brittney Spears or Rolling Stones tune when all you're wanting is some traditional music, local to the area. It's the shits to go to Mumbai India and have to listen to Geico ads...WTF.

Has the whole world gone 'American Junk Music'crazy..what's wrong with real traditional, native to the country music?:crazy:

Tin-Ear Stuart

Back