What's new
What's new

OSHA Regulation Help

Do any of you guys know what the OSHA regulation is for a piece of bar stock sticking out of the spindle on a lathe?
:confused:

I believe it is addressed under "Rotating parts" of the lathe. That would make
it "power transmission".

As opposed to "punch press", which changes guarding requirements greatly.

IIRC from the Rockford seminars, it needs covered up, but the end can be open
as opposed to a punch press, where the shaft would need complete "I want to try to kill myself"
guarding.

If there is nothing specific, OSHA always goes back to the "General" clause

"The OSHA general duty clause, Section 5(a)(1) of the Occupational Safety and Health Act, requires that each employer furnish to each of its employees a workplace that is free from recognized hazards that are causing or likely to cause death or serious physical harm."
JR

If there is nothing specific, OSHA always goes back to the "General" clause

"The OSHA general duty clause, Section 5(a)(1) of the Occupational Safety and Health Act, requires that each employer furnish to each of its employees a workplace that is free from recognized hazards that are causing or likely to cause death or serious physical harm."
JR

The "Forrest Gump" clause.....:D

I assume this is sticking out the back end? Chances are it won’t be that long I would just put a saw horse to the side with a big red sign that says “Do not touch.” If it’s really hanging out there then some sort of support device should be in place which is rather self explanatory. If you don’t have a bar feeder or bar support then your material should only be sticking out a foot maybe two any more and your lathe would turn into a helicopter at any sort of rpm due to instability. I’ve seen it happen up close thankfully I had the sense to hit the deck. The operator claimed the bushings failed. There were no bushings ever installed.

I assume this is sticking out the back end? Chances are it won’t be that long I would just put a saw horse to the side with a big red sign that says “Do not touch.” If it’s really hanging out there then some sort of support device should be in place which is rather self explanatory. If you don’t have a bar feeder or bar support then your material should only be sticking out a foot maybe two any more and your lathe would turn into a helicopter at any sort of rpm due to instability. I’ve seen it happen up close thankfully I had the sense to hit the deck. The operator claimed the bushings failed. There were no bushings ever installed.

What if you are walking past, and trip, and fall upon said rotating shaft ?

A sign isn't much help.

This dipshit either lied on his application or needed to be made to take a piss/breathalyzer test.

You need to get out more. Even experienced operators and programmers make stupid mistakes. We had a programmer that forgot to remove a G96 command. No big deal except the part was 6" dia and 42" long. That big Doosan went up to 2,000 RPM before they could hit the E-stop. Not pretty.
JR

You need to get out more. Even experienced operators and programmers make stupid mistakes. We had a programmer that forgot to remove a G96 command. No big deal except the part was 6" dia and 42" long. That big Doosan went up to 2,000 RPM before they could hit the E-stop. Not pretty.
JR

Didja ever notice when the Sheet really starts hitting the fan how time slows down ?

And your feet become very sluggish.

JR

Ha!Ha!...Oops! Yeah I bet it wasn't. Hard to regulate against something like that. I doubt if any the MTB's even recommend any length of unsupported material stick out?

Brent

Hard to regulate against something like that. I doubt if any the MTB's even recommend any length of unsupported material stick out?

We put a max of like 100 RPM in the post processors so that the programmer had to manually change.
The safety manual that I wrote for this company stated that max unsupported length was 3D on anything 4" dia and larger. There was a machine with a SMW steady rest, but it was "busy". That stunt cost about $45K to repair.

We put a max of like 100 RPM in the post processors so that the programmer had to manually change.

Good idea!

The safety manual that I wrote for this company stated that max unsupported length was 3D on anything 4" dia and larger.

That's pretty safe and sounds like a good bench mark.

There was a machine with a SMW steady rest, but it was "busy". That stunt cost about $45K to repair.

At least nobody got hurt. When a machine goes through a episode like that lucky it's not destroyed.

Brent

Destroyed a $30K ATS, 20" chuck. Both machine doors, and the control housing. ULM was really upset that none of these parts were on the shelf and that the machine would be down for 6-8 weeks.
JR

And a $5 pair of under britches!:D So this thing was flopping around out the front end? It's a good thing it didn't let go of it or you'd most likely have added the cost of a funeral to the tally.

Brent

AIt's a good thing it didn't let go of it or you'd most likely have added the cost of a funeral to the tally.

It did come out. Right between the operator and the programmer. IIRC, 472 lbs. Only went another 20 feet after taking out the doors. If you do this for as long as I have, you see a lot of stuff and hopefully, you caused none of it.
JR

It did come out. Right between the operator and the programmer. IIRC, 472 lbs. Only went another 20 feet after taking out the doors.
That reminded me of a guy I used to work with who came from PSNS shipyard.

He told me a story about a submarine propeller that got away when it was being balanced. He said it walked up out of the pit, across the shop, and basically cut a big G&L lathe in two.

Another buddy of mine was working at Certified Manufacturing in Shelton back in the day. The shop was located on a GA airport. One day a Cessna came through the wall right next to his Wilson, lol.

Back