What's new
What's new

OT/ ABS Module Repair

Joe Miranda

Titanium
The ABS module on my '04 Explorer needs to be repaired. I know there are services available that repair them and I am wondering if any of you guys have had experience with any of them and if so can you make a recommendation? Thanks.

I kinda cannot imagine it would be cheaper than buying a new or rebuilt one looks like couple hundred

You would think that they would only be a couple hundred new - but no - at least not with this vehicle. Because they tie the abs in with traction control and stability control they are pretty pricey - if you can even find one. Right now the best I can do is a used one for $150 (and it took quite a while to track one down that would work on this vehicle because they are so specific - I don't know - maybe just this model and this year - who knows).

I had tried a different one and the dealer said it was not compatible and they couldn't program it to fully function with all my options so I had to go and search through the various salvage yards to find one that would work with my vehicle (they are specific by the VIN). The dealer checked the VIN on this one I just found and said it will work. I guess the problem is solved - hopefully - I will know next week.

yup- makes ya wanna rip all that crap out and make it simple- our 92 Explorer we use as our Bonneville salt rat had the same issue a few years ago- the front brakes just stopped working- new one was $400.00 +. found a/used one for $200.00

if you have any decent soldering skills, you might look inside that unit.

I saw a bad one once, and fixed it. The problem was a combination of lead-free solder and stupid engineers.

The connectors to the externals were all part of the housing, held solidly in plastic.... and soldered into the PCB for a rigid assembly with connectors at each end.. Naturally temp cycles as well as vibration moved them back and forth until the solder broke after 6 years or so. Touchup with leaded solder fixed them and they held until that vehicle was traded 12 years later.

What JST just said.

The solder-fault on one of mine is soo dreadfully predictable there's a layout to drill two holes, blow out the chips, stick the soldering iron tip into each hole in turn, reflow the existing solder, plug the holes, not even open the case.

Guess what?

FORD owned Jaguar when my 2005 was built, and rather a lot of it was Ford-global parts-bin parts common to everything from transit vans to Lincoln Continentals.

I keep a spare to-hand, but then again, a no-rust, all-aluminium Jaguar XJ8-L is a lot easier to love than a DIY rust-sandwich kit of about the same age run IN the "saltbelt" to boot.

Starbase Buckeye operating HQ? I'd be more concerned with the brake LINES on any '04 than the ABS critter. I've had two MOPAR vans and a GMC S10 die that way. EASTERN PA & Nawthun' Virginia prior lives.

Might be time for a remount? Hotlanta used get decent low-rust chances, so long as they ain't dragged onto the lot from the salt belt.

Carfax helps avoid that time-bomb. Wish I'd knowed that a lot of years sooner!

Back