What's new
What's new

OT- Achilles tendinitis due to bone spur - Anyone here have the surgery for similar ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Tried the best shoes, heel wedges, predisone, NASID's, weeks of physical therapy....but still the back of right heel refuses to heal. The surgery for this is supposedly 80% effective but over 2 months of wearing cast, then boot.... right foot so can't drive for 2 months if I do that. Wondering if any alternatives for cure, or if anyone has rigged a way to drive with left foot ! (amputation of right ? :willy_nilly:)

Tried the best shoes, heel wedges, predisone, NASID's, weeks of physical therapy....but still the back of right heel refuses to heal. The surgery for this is supposedly 80% effective but over 2 months of wearing cast, then boot.... right foot so can't drive for 2 months if I do that. Wondering if any alternatives for cure, or if anyone has rigged a way to drive with left foot ! (amputation of right ? :willy_nilly:)

Surely. "Left foot accelerator pedal" add-on.

Used to be common. Not for disability, but simply pre-cruise control era long-distance driving when right leg could get cramps.

JC Whitless even sold them. Amazon still does.

Legal as far as I know?

Need has gone scarce, perhaps, cruise-control era.

One DOES have to re-train BRAKING reactions, too! "Hand" throttle migt even be a better option?

I'd rate that braking / "apprppriate reaction" situation as far the harder part.

Or maybe not, a person has enough time on backhoes, trackhoes, and forklifts to be more flexible, mentally?

if you still have the Benz, you may find that, as with my Jag, the Euro-derived cruise control works well down into low speeds, whereas the MOPAR van's is useless below about 35 MPH.

Tap-dance on a cruise-control that good as to accell/decell buttons, and you won't actually need the pedal all that often.

How long have you had it?

I had this a number of years ago from running and the Dr. told me that I could have the surgery or I could man up and deal with it for 6 months or so and my body would take take care of the bone spur on its own, which it did.

I had this a number of years ago from running and the Dr. told me that I could have the surgery or I could man up and deal with it for 6 months or so and my body would take take care of the bone spur on its own, which it did.

"Bone spurs"?

WTH... seems a body surely can get those running.... even if only from a Draft Board?

If only you had played YOUR cards differently, we might have had a different President in the Outhouse, too?

Mind.. I ain't sure it would be an IMPROVEMENT... not YET, anyway...

:D

I had the problem for several years, mildly in the left heal and significantly in the right. The doctor just wanted me to put $300 dollar wedges in my shoes. I tried some cheaper wedges without any relief.

In the morning, for about the first 100 yards I could only walk flat footed. It would loosen up through the day. I suspect the 'loosening up" was really just tearing up the tendon that had tried to heal the night before. And I would trip occasionly and put additonal stretch on the heal and the symptoms would be worse for months.

I think that the night splints that hold the ankle in a positions similar to standing would be the most likely non surgical help. These should cause the healing to occur with the tendon stretched instead of contracted.

I do not know the reason but about 2 years into retirement the issue resolved itself gradually. My activity level and weight were similar before and after retirement. I did spend less time on ladders after retirement and the ladder usage did seem to irritate the tendons.

I know I did not answer your question on surgery but thought I would second that idea that sometimes they will heal on their own.

Yes, I had a bone spur. The shots gave me some relief and, in time, it did go away. But, YMMV.

Now and for the past several decades I have had back problems. Several doctors have recommended surgery but one old and perhaps wise one who had done the surgery, suggested that I might be just as well off without it. I put up with it.

I had the problem for several years, mildly in the left heal and significantly in the right. The doctor just wanted me to put $300 dollar wedges in my shoes. I tried some cheaper wedges without any relief.

In the morning, for about the first 100 yards I could only walk flat footed. It would loosen up through the day. I suspect the 'loosening up" was really just tearing up the tendon that had tried to heal the night before. And I would trip occasionly and put additonal stretch on the heal and the symptoms would be worse for months.

I think that the night splints that hold the ankle in a positions similar to standing would be the most likely non surgical help. These should cause the healing to occur with the tendon stretched instead of contracted.

I do not know the reason but about 2 years into retirement the issue resolved itself gradually. My activity level and weight were similar before and after retirement. I did spend less time on ladders after retirement and the ladder usage did seem to irritate the tendons.

I know I did not answer your question on surgery but thought I would second that idea that sometimes they will heal on their own.

You sayin' he needs to date shorter wimmin'?

Or what?

Probably on and off for 3 years....but only in last 6 months has it gotten bad enough it hurts all day when walking. Running would be nearly impossible as it would hurt like crazy. Doesn't hurt at all sitting or sleeping.

Probably on and off for 3 years....but only in last 6 months has it gotten bad enough it hurts all day when walking. Running would be nearly impossible as it would hurt like crazy. Doesn't hurt at all sitting or sleeping.

Fair chance you had an injury 'bout 3 years back and paid it little attention at the time. Repair work can get botched, even as fine a machine as a human.

Getting the stress off so it can heal unfortunately can shift assymmetrical stress into your BACK.. "Cure" ends up doing more damage than the initiator.

Velcro-on movement-restrictor/ankle-brace/heel pad on BOTH feet when active, ELSE neither when not, and no surgery atall might be worth a try?

"Bone spurs"?

WTH... seems a body surely can get those running.... even if only from a Draft Board?

If only you had played YOUR cards differently, we might have had a different President in the Outhouse, too?

Maybe it will go away after a night in a trump brand hotel.
Bill D.
I did not spend a night in a Holiday Inn Express.

"Bone spurs"?

Could somebody translate this verbal vomit into standard English.

Tried Epsom Salts, soaked the foot every night for a week and it went away. Best thing is noticed some improvement after the first night. No long drawn out trial. Cheap also, rang all My bells.

different area but bone spurs in my elbow turned into lumps which turned into bigger lumps until less than 30 degree range of motion. surgery has range of motion mostly all back but after 3 months still cannot open a jar or swing a hammer

I had chronic Achilles tendonitis in my left ankle for about 30 years. Sometimes worse, often better. Finally I went to a physical therapist and they gave me a set of exercises that have provided a lasting solution for about 2 years now.

I suggest you try a different PT before you get cut on.

metalmagpie

Back