What's new
What's new

OT Adjustable 12 volt back up alarm

edwin dirnbeck

Hot Rolled
I have a lot of 12 volt outdoor equipment.I have installed master battery disconnect switches on all of them.I often forget to flip the switch when I am done working. I would like to wire in a 12 volt back up alarm beeper ,that would beep every 10 or 20 seconds or so.A separate timer would be OK,but I don't want to BUILD a separate timer. Is their an off the shelf solution? Thanks in advance for any information. Edwin Dirnbeck

If I understand correctly, you want something that will remind you to flip the switch on the master battery disconnect off when you are finished using the machine. If that is so then you could wire in a pilot light on the dead side of the switch so that when you are finished, the pilot light would still be on and remind you to flip the switch off. Cheap and easy.

If I understand correctly, you want something that will remind you to flip the switch on the master battery disconnect off when you are finished using the machine. If that is so then you could wire in a pilot light on the dead side of the switch so that when you are finished, the pilot light would still be on and remind you to flip the switch off. Cheap and easy.

That's a pretty good idea. For the stuff I have, it would have to be a relay that is running on the ignition circuit. NO contact would be closed when running and then when ignition is turned off, the NC contact (hooked to alarm) would be closed and the alarm would sound. Sound away draining the battery until the big disconnect is turned off.

I put a strobe light on a manlift I rewired. It is always on when the battery disconnect is on. It's easy to leave it on for days because the light doesn't really draw attention unless it is dark. On job sites the strobes are always on on the aerial equipment over the weekend. I would avoid a strobe based on that track record.

Not sure about your circuitry there but what I was suggesting would be to connect a pilot lamp to the master switch on the normally open side. Then when you close the master switch the pilot light comes on and stays on until you open the switch again. It would just mean that the pilot light would be on all the time the equipment is running. Seems to me a lot better then an annoying backup beeper. If I could find the one on my skid steer I would choke it to death but it is well hidden. Drives me nuts.

If I could find the one on my skid steer I would choke it to death but it is well hidden.

I have a Nissan forklift that way. My employees are always after me to disconnect it. I always say that OSHA won't like that. Finally it got the best of me and I went to disconnect it. Can't find. Best I can tell it is welded inside the roll hoop.

I have a Nissan forklift that way. My employees are always after me to disconnect it. I always say that OSHA won't like that. Finally it got the best of me and I went to disconnect it. Can't find. Best I can tell it is welded inside the roll hoop.

I found the one on my Clark inside a light fixture mounted on the cage. Looked way too small to have a beeper inside.

I have bright strobe lights on some of my machines ,but in the brighter sunlight ,they don't show up.

Back