What's new
What's new

OT- "Air Bag needs service" message on 2010 Chevy Express

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
1. Don't see any codes related to airbag sensors on my Bosch OBD II reader....do I need a more sophisticated reader ?

2. As I understand it, most likely culprit is sensor(s) either in front of vehicle, under seats or coil in steering column.... any thoughts of which is more likely ? Or will a proper OBD reader indicate where the problem lies ?

I found many front impact sensors in my experience as a GM tech. I couldn’t recommend replacing the sensor/s without a definitive code read. The trucks sensor failures outnumbered any other fault 20 to 1
for what it’s worth. Those sensors are easy to service too. Use care when manipulating the connectors.
Joe

1. Don't see any codes related to airbag sensors on my Bosch OBD II reader....do I need a more sophisticated reader ?

2. As I understand it, most likely culprit is sensor(s) either in front of vehicle, under seats or coil in steering column.... any thoughts of which is more likely ? Or will a proper OBD reader indicate where the problem lies ?

Which model is your Bosch?

This comparison chart shows what each model is supposed to be capable of.

| Bosch Diagnostics

Also, is the firmware up to date? If not you can download the latest firmware for models that are internet updateable.

Which model is your Bosch?

This comparison chart shows what each model is supposed to be capable of.

| Bosch Diagnostics

Also, is the firmware up to date? If not you can download the latest firmware for models that are internet updateable.
1150.... looks like I should have got the 1200 (purchased about a year ago). :(

I found many front impact sensors in my experience as a GM tech. I couldn’t recommend replacing the sensor/s without a definitive code read. The trucks sensor failures outnumbered any other fault 20 to 1
for what it’s worth. Those sensors are easy to service too. Use care when manipulating the connectors.
Joe
i found the impact sensor... center under radiator.. is tha the only one on a Chevy van ? Unlocked the connector, pushed in and out a few times in case of terminal corrosion... made no difference...

I have a Tech 2 (factory Chevy service device). In it, and the factory service manuals, it mentions that often, 'proprietary' faults won't self-clear without 10-20 consecutive starts without the fault. So if your scanner can't get to it natively, you may have to wait several starts to see if you fixed the problem.

Hmm. Isn’t the air bag module under the drivers seat? I don’t know who thought that was smart. Especially in a work van.

Obligatory “everyone is a moron except me” comments aside, it’s the front sensors, wiring or steering wheel clock spring as noted above that are the usual suspects.

Same issue on the Silverado/Sierras. New front crash sensor fixed my Duramax.

i found the impact sensor... center under radiator.. is tha the only one on a Chevy van ? Unlocked the connector, pushed in and out a few times in case of terminal corrosion... made no difference...
If it is a sensor circuit code then my experience is the sensors fail. Usually a small crack in the housing and moisture probably. Not a wiring problem unless accident damage causes a harness failure.
Did you get the code pulled? GM SIR sensor codes can detect a failed sensor or high or low resistance. The first step is getting the code from the module to prevent spending $ without a resolution.
Joe

Did you get the code pulled? GM SIR sensor codes can detect a failed sensor or high or low resistance. The first step is getting the code from the module to prevent spending $ without a resolution.
No code yet.... today I ordered a $125 "never head of brand but has good reviews" reader from Amazon that reads and resets SRS codes so will be a few days... If wondering why I don't take it to AutoZone for a free read... license plate expired and no insurance on the vehicle now as I don't use it... so obviously not legal to drive on highway to get to wherever.....fixing details so I can sell it.

According to this chucklehead:
YouTube

This device:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ac-20&linkId=051702205d1fe8fb3b581a71802343af

Will interface to the Tech2 computer software offering (which you'd have to source) when running on a (older 32-bit only) computer. Don't know how much that is, or where to get it. But I do think some level of it is available 'by the day' or 'by the week' or something.

The nice thing about Tech2 is that it can directly access most sensors, re-set them if applicable, and even toggle operation of software-controlled switches. Example: I can 'push' the dash button for 4-wheel steering, make the 4WS dash lights cycle independently of the switch position, and make the rear wheels steer (while parked). So pretty much total control. Haven't played with airbags, though...

Don't drink it, but thanks anyway. ;)

Plus, this thing has quite a few cupholders...
Really want those airbags to stay tucked away, for some reason.

I have had to dive into both the QS system and the electrically-adjusted shocks on the truck. The factory manuals are built around having Tech 2 access, and they do guide you right to the problem. However, they don't guide you to the parts -- poor availability for the more unusual ones.

"Air Bag needs service" message on 2010 Chevy Express ''

There must be dozens of old mother in law jokes in that statement ;)

And the proper name for the indicator is MIL. (Malfunction Indicator Lamp). Its there to nag you, just like it's namesake.

Back