Ot- Aluminum exposure/Alzheimers - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EPAIII View Post
    Dust mask while SAWING aluminum? I doubt that anyone here or elsewhere has ever inhaled a single chip of aluminum made by a saw blade. They are relatively large and quickly fall to the floor. I have never observed them floating around in the air. And even if you did, because it is relatively large, it would be expelled, not absorbed into the body.

They say reading comprehension is the first to go....

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    why the dust make as I was sawing up some old 6061 sheet on a table saw. I told him the bit I had heard about aluminum exposure and Alzheimer syndrome and mentioned that the powdery oxides I figured were a metal form I didn’t want to breathe.

I still figure the same.
    I don’t want to breathe metal oxides- any metal.
    Except for maybe rust- that stuff is good for ya...

I’m still in the middle of this job- it’s a dusty mess- the sawing sanding grinding all of it.
    I can see the crap floating around the shop and just grab the dust mast, safety glasses face shield and ear muffs and go at it.

I was painting some bulkheads down in a boat decades ago.
    A gal was working with me and I handed her a respirator as the fumes were pretty bad.
    She said something relevant to this conversation- “I like the smell but you have to work with it, you wear one”.

Occupational hazards are the deal here.
    We are not talking the bit of material which might manage to sloth off an aluminum stew pot over twenty years.

The amount of crap I can get exposed to is a whole nother level than joe public.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I have no axe to grind, well i do but.
    I recall, I think I due? working in half the mold shops in and around the Motor City, the "Bench Hands" grinding,sanding alum. and kirksite, blowing off the tools(molds)with air nozzles, I am sure it was in their coffee,samichs,smokes, not all tools were alum. or kirksite,other higher run tools were harder more wear resitance metals, same kinda dust was present from these as well.
    So ,no doubt live will kill ya, your werk will/can help life kill ya.
    no help in yous guys search for answers,just some,what's left,thoughts.
    Gw

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg White View Post
    So I have no axe to grind, well i do but.
    I recall, I think I due? working in half the mold shops in and around the Motor City, the "Bench Hands" grinding,sanding alum. and kirksite, blowing off the tools(molds)with air nozzles, I am sure it was in their coffee,samichs,smokes, not all tools were alum. or kirksite,other higher run tools were harder more wear resitance metals, same kinda dust was present from these as well.
    So ,no doubt live will kill ya, your werk will/can help life kill ya.
    no help in yous guys search for answers,just some,what's left,thoughts.
    Gw
    Yeah- It seems if there were anything to this at all it would be pretty easy to find the poor slobs with super high occupational exposure to refined aluminum or potassium aluminum sulfate and see if either group or both have higher incidence rates than the rest of us.

What ATSDR has to say about it:

"How can aluminum affect my health?
    Only very small amounts of aluminum that you may inhale, ingest, or have skin contact with will enter the bloodstream.
    Exposure to aluminum is usually not harmful, but exposure to high levels can affect your health. Workers who breathe large amounts of aluminum dusts can have lung problems, such as coughing or abnormal chest X-rays. Some workers who breathe aluminum dusts or aluminum fumes have decreased performance in some tests that measure functions of the nervous system.
    Some people with kidney disease store a lot of aluminum in their bodies and sometimes develop bone or brain diseases which may be caused by the excess aluminum. Some studies show that people exposed to high levels of aluminum may develop Alzheimer's disease, but other studies have not found this to be true. We do not know for certain whether aluminum causes Alzheimer's disease.
    Studies in animals show that the nervous system is a sensitive target of aluminum toxicity. Obvious signs of damage were not seen in animals after high oral doses of aluminum. However, the animals did not perform as well in tests that measured the strength of their grip or how much they moved around.
    We do not know if aluminum will affect reproduction in people. Aluminum does not appear to affect fertility in animals."
    ATSDR - ToxFAQs™: Aluminum

Is that's whats wrong with me this morning!

Or maybe it was the nightcap of a pint of Turkish Coffee ice cream and the beers.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Eating is a sure precursor to death. Sometimes very quick, other times slower.

Breathing, ditto

drinking water ditto.

Quitting is not advised by the better medical experts, however.

Know what? Yer screwed.....

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Aluminum might be very dangerous. I suggest that you all switch to using aluminium instead.

6. Likes Trboatworks, awake liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    Aluminum might be very dangerous. I suggest that you all switch to using aluminium instead.
    Says the talking head from the "UK".

You don't have any say in your healthcare, decisions of treatment are done by a committee.

You have NO say in your healthcare, so why not SFTU ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post

You don't have any say in your healthcare, decisions of treatment are done by a committee.

whoooa boy, whoa!

eb74alxwwaesotf.jpg

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post

[GORDON MODE]
    Having been a type 1 diabetic for 55 years, I have plenty of say in my healthcare, thank you. The committees that guide my healthcare system are driven by outcomes rather than this quarter's profits...
    [/GORDON MODE]

This page from the British Alzheimer's society seems to indicate that we shouold be far more worried about iron and copper ingestion than aluminium ingestion. That's a more likely exposure to most machinists, even Trboatworks!

Personally, (I am not a doctor) I suspect that the aluminium/Alzheimers syndrome scare is on a par with the measles/mumps/rubella scare caused by the (now struck off for malpractice) Dr Warwick.

Regards
    Mark

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    Personally, (I am not a doctor) I suspect that the aluminium/Alzheimers syndrome scare is on a par with the measles/mumps/rubella scare caused by the (now struck off for malpractice) Dr Warwick.
    I think you mean Wakefield?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember reading a science magazine back in the 90's, that report large amounts of it in the brains of deceased Alzheimer's patients.

Who was paying for the studies?

I do know this, if you have a cold sore a little Alum on the affected area and no more cold sore, takes about 4-6 seconds

Seriously, we're all going to die of something.

I would be more worried about some idiot on a cell phone while driving a car.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's a local guy here who has run a large NC cold saw cutting aluminum plate stock for what is now decades. His work area back in the old days was a room smaller then you can imagine. (Ive seen it only in pictures.) Some years back he said he lost his sense of taste which was attributed to the aluminum dust. He's even getting workmens comp over it. Not sure if he still works there, but that's the story as I know it. He wouldn't be someone to have BS'd me either.