What's new
What's new

OT: American Machinist looking to move to Canada

mlonergan87

Plastic
Hello all,
I've been a manual machinist here stateside for around 10 years with a pretty varied skillset. Wondering if anyone here has made the move from USA to Canada and had any pointers/ tips on which routes to take in terms of visas and whatnot. Just looking for some help insofar as which steps to take first like if I need a job offer to apply for a visa or a visa before I can apply for jobs, as well as realistic timelines etc. Not necessarily asking for a step by step how to....Just what anyone's experiences have been and if you all have any tips.
Looking into the Provincial Nominee program as well as Express Entry and regular work visa.

Looking to head over to British Columbia from New Jersey.
Thanks for any and all help,
Matt

She must really be something to wanna move from the US of A to Kanuckistan!

They do make em' purdy out there on the left coast tho, this one was from out there:

sl86i0azrrc41.jpg

Seriously tho, I hope Marcus comes on here, he'll have some good advice for you I'm sure.

As far as i understand it, you need to have a special skill set and a reason to move here. Might be good to inquire to the CBSA and see what is required for entry.

I am on the east coast in Nova Scotia and can’t give you any immigration tips but I would think it must be doable because in local machine shops I routinely see recent immigrants from Eastern Europe , South America and the Philippines working as machinists . In One shop I was in recently the owner commented that he had a job applicant come to the interview with a translator. I would contact some of the bigger shops in the area that you want to go to and see if they can steer you towards any programs that might help you.

Wondering if anyone here has made the move from USA to Canada

from a similar culture, with similar values?
no criminal record?
never been a terrorist?
skilled?
don't expect or need big handouts?
like to work hard?
pay your taxes?

forget it, you don't meet any of our immigration criteria.

Back