What's new
What's new

OT. Amerigas issues.

Mark P.

Aluminum
Anyone else having trouble with Amerigas? Been trying since 10/25 to get 2 propane cylinders picked up from our business that closed the end of October. Luckily the landlord is okay with us keeping the tanks inside for the time being. What's going on with these guys? Half a dozen calls, couple of emails, post on there facebook page?

We had nothing but trouble with them, from getting propane to getting their tank picked up after we switched so we didn't have to fight with them every couple months, they are made of poor customer service and proud of it

We had nothing but trouble with them, from getting propane to getting their tank picked up after we switched so we didn't have to fight with them every couple months, they are made of poor customer service and proud of it

They sent a Facebook message with email reply link. Turns out to be an automated system......How helpful

They are terrible to deal with. I had a pair of 100# tanks at our cottage for occasionally running a heater. One spring I went to open the cottage and the tanks were gone. I called Amerigas and told them that it looked like someone had stolen their tanks over the winter. I was told that they came and got them because my usage wasn't enough to warrant them keeping them there.

I told them that I had paid for propane in them and considered that theft. They told me that they would send paperwork to the main office and I would be reimbursed for the gas in about 30 days. I ended up getting the amount of LP that was in my tanks pumped into a few tanks for my RV. Total crooks.

Several years later I bought a home that had a 500 gallon Amerigas tank running the water heater and furnace. Found out that natural gas was available at the street and changed it over. Called Amerigas to see how to handle the tank and was told that they would come and get it and I would be reimbursed for any remaining gas, minus a $149 charge for pumping the tank out. There wasn't enough gas in the tank to cover the 149 so they told me that they would just pick up the tank. I told them that I owned the propane and would call the cops if they took the tank. It's still there almost 7 years later and the chances of them getting it back is pretty much zero. I consider it an abandoned tank.

BTW, when they came and got the pair of 100# tanks from our cottage I drove by their yard and there must have been 500 of those 100# tanks stacked up like cord wood.

I'll never do business with them again. I can't imagine how they can stay in business with such terrible business practices.

Their service seems to be ok where I work, but for myself I found them arrogant and almost exactly twice the price per gallon of a local family-owned provider.

The previous owners of my house left one of the 420lb tanks. I didn't want it. Amerigas started trying to get me to sign up for a monthly rental/fill program. I ignored them. They finally sent a letter that was trying to be intimidating that if I didn't immediately pay, they would repossess the tank. I ignored that as well. They never came - that was 8 years ago. I guess I own 300 lbs of propane now...

Also had an unnecessary, complex water filtration system in the house. Those guys were even more obnoxious, including sending letters saying my water would become dangerous, etc. I have our water regularly tested directly from the well and it has never been everything but perfect. Their system has been bypassed and is sitting in the crawlspace.

I called again. Talked to Cincinnati today. I think I've talked to Akron and New York as well. We'll see.

Can't make this shit up. Emailed again and called. Every time they update their notes. (ie my contact info) Why didn't they save it the first 7 times?? So I call and they assure me it will be ESCALATED (code for ignored) to management. Wife sends me a text photo of an Amerigas truck driving on the same road as where our old shop was....minutes away!! Do they stop and pick up the tanks.....NO

Unless they are charging you rent for those tanks, don't worry about them anymore.

Take them home, wait for about a year, and sell them on craigslist.

As the founder of the science known as Namerology, I can assure you that any business which includes 'Ameri' in its name is a sure loser.

Just like a girl name Monique will be thinner and sluttier and wear far more makeup than a girl named Bertha, who wears comfortable jeans, vests, and is not averse to driving a pickup if needed.

Unless they are charging you rent for those tanks, don't worry about them anymore.

Take them home, wait for about a year, and sell them on craigslist.

I told them I was done trying accommodate them. I told them here's where your tanks are, I'm not liable or responsible for anything that happens to them.

I don’t know if it was AmeriGas, but my old neighbor called them up and told them if they don’t come get their tank he would cut it up and sell the scrap. They came out shortly after.

Have to laugh, finally picked the tanks up nearly two months after the fact. Sent me the email bill the next day.

This thread is confirming that the expense and bother of getting a gas line run 500' up from the road is ultimately worth it for our new place -- instead of using propane for the new furnace. (Former all-electric house.)

Somebody must like Amerigas or they couldn't have grown into the big company they are? After saying that I had one dealing with them a few years ago and it was not a happy experience and locally I know no one that buys from them. Sort of like Fastenal I guess?

Back