What's new
What's new

OT: anti-seize compound for aluminium bronze parts at 700c / 1290f temps?

MattiJ

Titanium
Cylindrical aluminium bronze part inside alu bronze "housing".
Any ideas?
Need to be non-smoking(indoor lab use), continuous temps at 700c for hours at a time.

Cylindrical aluminium bronze part inside alu bronze "housing".
Any ideas?
Need to be non-smoking(indoor lab use), continuous temps at 700c for hours at a time.

Might need a "burn out" period to condition and stabilize it before use for some of the suggested materials.

Or even consider electroplating one of the two components before assembly.

question is: what are you going to do with the powders? you cant just sprinkle them on the bronze, right? there are ceramic pastes i have used that survive well on exhaust collectors.

Thanks, that looks like it might work.
I was thinking of graphite or MoS2. "graphite suspension" could be the keyword here.
Boron nitride might be also one option :confused:

"Nickasil' worked in lining Aluminium bores of IC engines. After a fashion.

Goop for sparking plugs is now Nickel based on many an engine. Copper-bearing, Moly, and others still exist. Moybdenum metal can be plated-on as well as applied as a goop.

There are probably half a dozen ways to meet your need. All will need testing to confirm they do not contaminate, and that may be costly as well as time-consuming.

What with the "lab" environment and contamination so unwanted, I'd be tempted to ask if changing at least ONE of the two mating parts to a different material might not be the easiest and longest-lasting approach to avoid seizing.

"Nickasil' worked in lining Aluminium bores of IC engines. After a fashion.

Goop for sparking plugs is now Nickel based on many an engine. Copper-bearing, Moly, and others still exist. Moybdenum metal can be plated-on as well as applied as a goop.

There are probably half a dozen ways to meet your need. All will need testing to confirm they do not contaminate, and that may be costly as well as time-consuming.

What with the "lab" environment and contamination so unwanted, I'd be tempted to ask if changing at least ONE of the two mating parts to a different material might not be the easiest and longest-lasting approach to avoid seizing.

"contaminate" such as messing with Moly or graphite is not too much problem but anything mineral/silicone/xyz-oil based is not wanted if it smokes during heat up.

Aluminium bronze has been probably best compromise between good thermal conductivity and oxidation resistance.
This is a temperature calibration "well" or dry block thus the need for thermal conductivity.
Fluke 917, Fluke 9171, Fluke 9172, & Fluke 9173 Metrology Well Calibrators

There is some exotic solutions like potassium filled inconel heat pipes or copper block clad with inconel but those are "rather" expensive.

Now if someone wants to make insert like this cheaply from copper with inconel cladding inside and outside I'm all ears:
Fc-9173-insa_01a_c.jpg

Someone had nice job there drilling the 3mm dia and 220mm deep hole in super nasty aluminium bronze :D

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) is used to provide a gap filling, heat conducting, and low strength bond on stainless steel cartridge heaters inserted into heating blocks. I do not know its upper temperature limit. It was the recommended filler for diffusion pumps and plastic injection molding equipment where it might be necessary to remove a burned out heater cartridge without resorting to drilling it out.

There are a number of patents dealing with this problem. The first one that shows up in a DuckDuckGo search is US 7012226.

Robert

Bit of update:

Graphite burns off without leaving a trace.

Ordered small batches of hBN and WS2 from Luigi in Italy.
hBN mixed to small amount of ethanol to make a sort of paste seems to work.

WS2 disappeared from the surfaces at 600C°, I'm suspecting I got molybdenum disulfide instead of tungsten disulfide..
WS2/MoS2 is lot more slippery(and messy) at cold than hBN.

Back