What's new
What's new

OT any painters on this morning?

I'm putting a new door on my money pit and am painting the door the color SWIMBO requires. I got PPG "timeless" exterior latex paint. The stuff is absolute rubbish! 42 bucks a gallon and it is so thick it is almost unusable, it is about like painting with grease, even with a good brush you get brush marks and can see the start and stop of every brush stroke. The label says do not thin, what to do, thin it anyway? with water? will this change the color?

I would scoop out 1 oz. and slowly add water from a eye dropper of water. Add a few drops and stir, repeat. When you get to a consistency that's right you know the ratio.

Using a carpet roller would give a even like texture to the door and would look better than brush strokes. A paint gun finish is the other route.

If you bought it from a real paint store, call them up and ask how to paint. The paint companies have been spending big bucks reformulating paint to minimize voc emissions, but have not done a lot to educate consumers. Its not the paint of 20 years ago.

If you bought it from a real paint store, call them up and ask how to paint. The paint companies have been spending big bucks reformulating paint to minimize voc emissions, but have not done a lot to educate consumers. Its not the paint of 20 years ago.

I got it from the orange store full of morons who don't give a shit. Sherwin Williams from now on.

I thought about that when I did a google search for your paint.

Take it back and open the can at the paint counter. They mix paint all day so they might know about the viscosity issue.
Not that any of them will really know about paint, just from previous encounters with thick headed paint cans.

I'm putting a new door on my money pit and am painting the door the color SWIMBO requires. I got PPG "timeless" exterior latex paint. The stuff is absolute rubbish! 42 bucks a gallon and it is so thick it is almost unusable, it is about like painting with grease, even with a good brush you get brush marks and can see the start and stop of every brush stroke. The label says do not thin, what to do, thin it anyway? with water? will this change the color?

I would not use water to thin your paint... A better product is Floetrol Latex Paint Additive, manufactured by Flood. I’ve been using this and their oil based version for more years than I can count. You can get it at Home Depot and similar box stores, as well as all over the net.

Cheers!

Back