What's new
What's new

OT Any recommendations for a $200.00 paper shredder

ratbldr427

Titanium
I had a Fellowes $100 one that I broke the second time I used it.Not to impressed.

Home use, however I don't want to feed one sheet at a time.I have one of those,bullet proof but slow and jams easily.

I've got a Fellowes with about a 5 gallon bucket sized can under it that I've used for 15 years or more, sounds like their quality isn't as good these days. Mine will do something like 20ish sheets at a time. Can't help with a new recommendation as mine still works great.

I have a Royal shredder that I bought probably at least ten years ago. It will take about 8 or 10 sheets at a time and hasn't given me any problems.

I recommend these, Very effective and the cross cut and random consumption can really only be approached by millatery means, they don't jam and there kinda cute. Can't deal with CD's but then who uses CD's any more any rate.

images

That said like most effective things, gerbils are not legal in California, so you know they must work well!

I have a Fellows that I paid about $40 for several years ago at the local office supply store. It has worked fine except the optical sensor is probably blocked and does not work any more. I have to turn it off manually. Forward and reverse so it is easy to clear jams. It will do about a half dozen sheets at a time and will eat credit cards. Creates chips, not strips. And it has a trash can sized bucket under it so I only have to empty it occasionally with home use. No complaints.

If I paid $100 for one that only worked one time I would be screaming, not just asking but screaming for a refund. And I would not be looking for a $200 replacement unless I had to shred whole books at once.

I had a Fellowes $100 one that I broke the second time I used it.Not to impressed.

Home use, however I don't want to feed one sheet at a time.I have one of those,bullet proof but slow and jams easily.

I recommend these, Very effective and the cross cut and random consumption can really only be approached by millatery means, they don't jam and there kinda cute. Can't deal with CD's but then who uses CD's any more any rate.
That said like most effective things, gerbils are not legal in California, so you know they must work well!

Those look more like Rats, but either way, they WILL in fact eat CDs. Gerbils (and Rats) will gnaw on anything. I had no idea that CA made them illegal, punishable even. It's like Donald Trump's wall, just fixing stuff before it's broken, or after it's well broken.

Sorry, I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks just dropping politics into every post.

Look for a used office grade shredder, preferably a cross cut one for better security.

What sets office grade shredders apart is number of sheets and duty cycle. Look at the manual online before buying. So many of them are rated for low duty cycle (5 min shredding, 15 minute cool down) with under engineered motors. Mine is rated for continuous operation. A number of the ones I have seen from big names are made in Germany.

Also make sure to use the correct lubricant. Some use mineral oil, Others use expensive relabeled canola oil (look at the MSDS). Otherwise you do risk fire (and Dad still managed to get a refund on the charred remains).

Wife bought the Fellowes couple years ago.Didn't know about it until a few months ago_Of course it was out of warranty,called Fellowes,no parts availability.Broke a $2.00 Delrin helical compound gear.Stock Drive Products didn't have anything so I chunked it.

Something like that is prone to jamming and the design should have some type of safety/overload to trip before the drive train fails.Piss poor engineering.

Seems like 18/20 sheet models have long duty cycles and are around 2 bills.So if I use half the paper and half the duty cycle maybe will last quite a while.
I've seen a Royal model that fits that criteria.
Thanks for the replies so far.

Another "get the one from Costco" for maybe $159? Eats CD's and credit cards too. Try not to feed stuff though it with more than envelope adhesive if you can. Don't think any shredder likes that. Builds up, pain to clean. Got asked "why doesn't the shredder work any more." Well.......

Mum went through a $100 Fellowes or similar every 6 months to a year, prolly spent $400 on them.

I bought a 20-sheet "Ativa" from Office Depot - about $260.

I've been pleased with it, paper, CD's, old credit cards- wotever.

Others may be less pleased. Google will find plenty of reviews online.

I bought a "Kemp Shredder" off craigslist for $100
with an 8 HP engine on it.

Made a smaller screen for it. IIRC 3/8" perforated plate.

Rigged up a flat table above the chute to stage the papers
(was doing newspapers) and worked well. It was very easy to overfeed
it and stall the engine.

Sold it to the neighbor for making horse bedding from newspaper.

I also had the sensor fail on a fellowes. Tried to bypass it and couldn't. Called the repair center - they told me they only have parts and service for commercial market shredders, not mass market units. So my plan was to find a used commercial Fellowes, but wound up with a used no name unit that takes 30+ sheets at a time and turns fast - great for end of year cleanup.

..wound up with a used no name unit that takes 30+ sheets at a time and turns fast - great for end of year cleanup.

Telcos - "global" most of all - get involved in some funny stuff. A former Navy CPO in Purchasing Department ran records management at one Day Job. Garden-variety industrial crosscut shredder. Of course. Didn't do Manhattan phone books, but "close". Classified Proposals, bound, over a hundred pages per, it "just ate".

Next two steps were borderline "awesome". DoD-approved heavy steel chamber called a "disintegrator". ISTR it had a 5 or 10 HP motor and a slew of heavy steel arms that BEAT paper into mere fluff and lint. It COULD do phone books, and FAST, too. One needed GOOD ear-protection. Might be what embassy's have? I know nada.

Which then fed an incinerator with a perforated rotating burn drum. Same again? MIL-SPEC? State Department? Likewise I plead ignorance.

Combat zone, all I had been issued - or needed - were Thermate grenades. Kinda HARD on the average home or shop, those, but serious-effective if year-end is "broken arrow" final!

:)

Silly part, civilian side, is that all but my one lone biz unit used Windows computers, and "networked". Any info as traversed THOSE round-heeled hoors could be spied-on before it was even printed to dead-trees if even it ever WAS printed at all.

With that sort of "window" open to whomever, the "physical" burn-bag stuff was mostly a useless "box-tick" as far as "security" goes!

Even so.. it can be CHEAPER than having to go live out of a motel 'coz the residence is chock full of old papers. DAMHIKT!

:(

eaglemike see post #11.
Seems like all the shredder makers are like HP computers.They have models in $30/50. increments.

I liked the old days; three choices,good, better & best!

Maybe it's me but even with all the electronic communication these days I seem to have way more paper load passing through the house than I ever had BC.

Bought this one at Staples a couple of years back, current model looks exactly like ours.

https://www.staples.com/Staples-24-Sheet-Professional-Series-Cross-Cut-Shredder-with-V-Track-Blades/product_356072

Works great, plenty strong, has overheat protection, shreds CDs no problem.

Ryan

That looks like the model at school.5-10 sheets at a time. never tried cd's. It does a few staples no problem. When I retired I shredded a lot of stuff then mixed it into the garden soil as mulch. A garden mulcher does not do paper it slings it around and howls like a siren.
Bil lD

ratbldr427: We bought a Ativa AT-MC 1000 about 20 years ago, still going strong. Shreds paper, DVD's, credit cards. Will do about 10 sheets at a time. Grinds them into confetti. Staples has the modern version for about $160.00.

JH

Back