CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by toolsteel View Post
    I get a few different ones....
    The IRS that is going to ...quote..."Start big expensive lawsuits if no money by tomorrow....)
    The "Open enrollment is running out....hurry before you lose your healthcare...."
    And....."hurry .....you need to contact us to qualify to extend your automotive warranty...."

When I tried blocking them i found something interesting.....I was getting the different scam calls from one phone number...???? Scammers clearing house maybe???? Soon after blocking the number I started getting the same calls from a "different" number. Instead of blocking it I have just named the phone number "SCAM".......I imagine they will change the number again and I will just name it "SCAM 2.0"

Here is an idea....lets make it illegal. wWe all know thats how to solve these problems.....uhm....yeah...
    How 'bout a new 'caller pay' system, where everyone who dials, pays a buck, and whoever they call, gets the buck. Then, I suppose we'd soon run out of phone numbers as I'd want about a hundred different phone numbers

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I get the same thing and it really pisses me off because it goes straight to my voicemail, phone never rings. Some BS about having a warrant and calling some agency.. hope they all burn in hell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just had this conversation
    My Verizon phone I get ~10 a month, compared to 3 a day on my office phone

If it says just a city name don't answer it.

Or answer hang up instantly

If they happen to call back it is a person

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    Just need congress to make it a felony to
    have robocall equipment or to use it.
    Joking are ye? When US States started getting EFFECTIVE at closing down and fining email spammers, the Bought-and-Paid-for by adverwhoring industry US Congress took away the RIGHT of states to protect their citizens by passing the (You too) CAN SPAM act to guarantee the RIGHT of the adverwhores to hammer the victims!

Congress verminhoors take this one on, expect your connectivity charges to double, and the robocalls to increase ten-fold.

You serious about stopping this? Not that hard. "Outsource it".

Get an account with a call-forwarding service to screen your calls. Country-code "86" or "852". Not World-Zone-slaughterhouse "1".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the phone companies could have stopped caller id munging in the beginning but chose not to

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    I think the phone companies could have stopped caller id munging in the beginning but chose not to
    Same reason network operators were reluctant to stop botnet's sending email. It was dead simple to DO it. Earliest days, the sitting CFO of ATT Global Networks admitted to me they made money off it, so why would they want to do? The abusers don't pay. The advertisers don't pay. NONE of the thieves pay.

Your connectivity fees cover the costs for the broader bandwidth the parasites consume, data network OR voice, same as higher cost for goods and groceries pays the higher cost of air or trucking over rail, your credit card interest rates cover the losses to their thieves, or your Health Scare costs cover the cheap-loaders and free-loaders.

Nobody "eats" a cost. NOBODY! They cannot. There is no magical pot of gold in the sky for it to come out of!

Not even for Hooverments.

They simply add their own overheads for the effort of passing it on and hire more clerks who will vote for more clerks.

Asia's competitive edge over the USA?

Same as the USA's advantage over the EU or Mexico's edge within NAFTA. Not "just" cheaper labor.

Lower parasitic drag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an automatic answering system that says "Press 1 to talk to jsc, Press 2 to leave a message, Press nothing if you a robocaller."

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jscpm View Post
    I have an automatic answering system that says "Press 1 to talk to jsc, Press 2 to leave a message, Press nothing if you a robocaller."
    Robo CALLER's actually bug me less than "Auto Attendant" AKA AI- Artificial Idiot answering.

"Press 1 for English, Press 2 for Spanish, Press 3 to go pound sand while we play the same G-damned advertising loops for the next hour and a half until the only live Filipino or Bengali employee American Express cares to be bothered employing at ALL for the whole damned globe is done eating a meal, patching a bicycle tire, or masturbating in the loo".

Helped those fools "solve" THEIR little problem. Dropped the Platinum, Gold, and Green with "member since 1970" right off the edge of their personal flat Earth, and simply wrote-off the near $2,000 they owed ME ,AND their silly "points"!

Cheaper that way, when amortized over 46 years, and I have saved it back already in annual fees anyway. The should not have FUBAR'ed their email/messaging system.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just label the spammers DNA Spam, for do not answer.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
    I just label the spammers DNA Spam, for do not answer.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
    OK . .you are adding six to a dozen a day as the calling numbers are dynamically generated off the back of "not in service" pools. So what, you have enough memory to spare.

But whom is it as pays you for the labour of tapping buttons or the distraction from YOUR life to do that?

I used to just disconnect. "Student loans" I never had a dime of an early and chronic one.

Of late, I just lay the phone aside while the spiel runs until a few minutes after THEY disconnect. "Eventually" the call'ED number might get preened as unresponsive? No such hope or wish.

But at least the mother-fondlers are tying up a resource!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder how you get into the world of such calls.
    I use a cell phone very little, any net stuff is done on the computer.
    I have never received even one "junk" phone call. None.
    People I work with and addicted to their smart phones get some everyday.
    Who is capturing and selling these numbers?
    If it was a version of the old "war dialer" running I should have been hit at least once.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I work in sales in the oilfield. I pretty much have to answer all calls because we have so many out-of-state people working in our industry now. I recently almost ignored a call from a California number, but decided to answer it. Turned out to be an engineer from Chevron, so I was glad I did answer it! However, I typically ignore calls from New York, Massachusetts, Florida, etc. as there aren't many oilfield workers in those areas.

One thing I've found that does help reduce calls from actual people is answering, "Hola!", "No habla Ingles!" or "No comprende." The caller usually stammers a bit and says, "Sorry, I'll make a note of that."
    Last edited by steve45; 12-05-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I work in sales in the oilfield. I pretty much have to answer all calls because we have so many out-of-state people working in our industry now. I recently almost ignored a call from a California number, but decided to answer it. Turned out to be an engineer from Chevron, so I was glad I did answer it! However, I typically ignore calls from New York, Massachusetts, Florida, etc. as there aren't many oilfield workers in those areas.

One thing I've found that does help reduce calls from actual people is answering, "Hola!", "No habla Ingles!" or "No comprende." The caller usually stammers a bit and says, "Sorry, I'll make a not of that."
    I usaully answer my phone that way; "Bueno". I get the "the warranty on your car is about to expire" call all the time. As it stands, it's very low on the list of priorities for the FBI, and some of them are legal, and the other ones are very hard to track. There were some guys arrested in Florida that were operating out of a shed, behind a service station.---A Shed.

Until something changes, I just like to antagonize them. The Elderly are the main targets, so I do a very Elderly voice and drag that sumbitch out as long as I can. If I can take up 20 minutes of their time, that's plus one for me, fuck 'em.

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    I usaully answer my phone that way; "Bueno". I get the "the warranty on your car is about to expire" call all the time. As it stands, it's very low on the list of priorities for the FBI, and some of them are legal, and the other ones are very hard to track. There were some guys arrested in Florida that were operating out of a shed, behind a service station.---A Shed.

Until something changes, I just like to antagonize them. The Elderly are the main targets, so I do a very Elderly voice and drag that sumbitch out as long as I can. If I can take up 20 minutes of their time, that's plus one for me, fuck 'em.

R
    On occasion if I'm working at the desk and get those "Internal Revenue Dept" and "Microsoft Computer Warning" calls (they are a couple of the few that actually leave a message), I will put the phone on speaker, enter *67 to block callerID, and dial the number and just let it sit there when someone picks up (usually sounds like they're in the food court somewhere) after them saying hello several times they eventually hang up, then I hit redial and call again--after 4-5 times they stop answering....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I actually got a call from someone who received a spam call from my number. The spam bots apparently use some of the numbers they steal and use them to harass other people.
    I truly hate these no good rat #*€£ bastards. Wasting my time and rendering my phone that I pay dearly for practically useless. The constant harassment makes it impossible to trust my phone to do what I pay for it to do. There has got to be a way to track these bastards down, bar them into whatever shack they are hiding, and burn it to the ground.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    I usaully answer my phone that way; "Bueno".
    Try "War Department. General Turgidson speaking" in your best George C Scott voice next time

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read this post wondering if there was an answer....
    Then noticed with the exception of EmanuelGoldstein, Who has suggestions about what to do...
    This seems to be a US issue.
    If this doesnt happen elsewhere they must know how to deal with it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This problem will be mostly solved in about 18-24 months. The FCC has a major effort underway to fix this. The underlying issue is that there is no validation of "caller ID" (e.g. the phone number a call is claimed to be coming from) for inter-carrier calls, therefore no way for carriers to reject a call when the "caller ID" has been faked. And, it is trivial to fake caller ID because anyone with a T1 line can set the caller ID to any value they want.

The FCC is now requiring the carriers to implement a secure method of call hand-off and is also requiring carriers to reject calls with nasty caller ID from their own networks.

Once bad guys can no longer hide behind fake Caller ID, their business model will collapse because they will incur the $3000 per call penalties and will be trackable back to calling source.

P.S. I founded a couple of telecom services companies that pioneered text messaging.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by drcoelho View Post
    This problem will be mostly solved in about 18-24 months. The FCC has a major effort underway to fix this. The underlying issue is that there is no validation of "caller ID" (e.g. the phone number a call is claimed to be coming from) for inter-carrier calls, therefore no way for carriers to reject a call when the "caller ID" has been faked. And, it is trivial to fake caller ID because anyone with a T1 line can set the caller ID to any value they want.

The FCC is now requiring the carriers to implement a secure method of call hand-off and is also requiring carriers to reject calls with nasty caller ID from their own networks.

Once bad guys can no longer hide behind fake Caller ID, their business model will collapse because they will incur the $3000 per call penalties and will be trackable back to calling source.

P.S. I founded a couple of telecom services companies that pioneered text messaging.
    "Once bad guys COULD NOT hide behind fake caller id" is an historical term, not the future.

You've done messaging?

Then you are probably already aware that an INTERNATIONAL body - under formal treaty obligation amongst nations of this world, USA included - had the prevention in-place a quarter-century ago and prior.

Under CCITT (now ITU) Signaling System 7 the originating carrier vetted and onpassed caller ID all the way to the last-connecting Central Office, regardless. GSM mobile but one example.

WHEN an originator optioned that his number NOT be displayed? It was only that last mile that did not onpass it. It was still retained in their logs end-to-end. Same again with "Bcc:" on an SMTP email message. Recorded end-to-end. A Court order could see those. Five Eyes and their rivals didn't even have to ask.

The utility in that? "Some among us" applied it to stop certain crimes. Nuisance bomb threats, for one.

The leased DS1 was not the initiator of the problem, nor cell relay, nor frame relay nor a leased OC12. Nailed-up, space, frequency nor time-slot leased technology was not the source.

Control was long in-place. And then we pissed-it away!!!

VoIP integration - packets - is where folks got stoopid, lazy, corrupt, or all of the above. They can be tracked. Too few any longer gave a damn outside of the No Such Agency tribes of this busy world

FCC won't fix that. Don't be silly! Was AM radio or Tee VEE ever advert free? Are you seeing FEWER adverts trying to take-over your screen and steal another slice of the unrecoverable TIME in each precious LIFE?

"Classical" prostitution is far more highly moral. At least the customer paying directly and immediately benefits.

The Folderol Hooverment has no morality to it. It will only help organize the suction better so the annointed ones get more of the revenue, same as (You too) CAN SPAM act did with UCE and its lessees.

NB:

Third-world countries are the ones where crime and corruption are needs-driven random else operated by ancient robber dynasties who limit their greed so as not to kill off the hosts they are parasitizing. Just another form of farming or animal husbandry to them. They know to not east the seed corn nor the last of the breeding cattle.

First-world countries are the ones where crime is channelized, legislated, revenue streams sold for hire, and formally taxed so the more expensive lie can be told they have low corruption. There are no more limits to their greed than to the vacuum of space itself. Taxpayers are a bottomless well and breed their own replacements, yah?

Organized crime of the "Mafia sort" didn't vanish. The "war on drugs" didn't jail the perps. Smaller fry were simply out-competed and co-opted by VISIBLE agencies growing ever more relaxed and complacent in their arrogant sinecures. Health Scare "Industry" and KKR? The "weed" INDUSTRY better-off WITHOUT "Big Tobacco"? Google parsing the body content of all gmail messages for gold, telling ME which stores are nearest? Yesterday's news. Or years old, already, and I mean literally so. Look it up. Google will tell you where you are as a byproduct, just in case you've gotten lost!

How often and how clearly does it have to be written - and right on your screen of the instant? "Big Brother" turns out not to be an individual after all. A pervasive and pandemic parasitical bio-hazard in infinite viral and microbial number - the creation of our very own and very-double-damned careless and indifference, rather.

You'd have to ken humans - complacent sheep, oft shorn and shivering, but predictably lazy about that - and the insatiable vacuum of their Hooverments, from Sumer before their water problem to day after the next millennium clocks.

They still run Windows. They still eat Big Macs. They still use Gmail. Bigger trucks with whorehouse cabs are still righteous. They still buy ever-more intrusive hand-helds and pay over 20 bucks for a dollar's worth of tee-shirt textiles or a pound of Pizza dough.

And they still think all they have to do to improve their lives is insult and whine about the most-recent roster of entertaining thieves in their local role of heads of Hooverments and it all comes good for another day.

Go figure.

I may as well wander over to Little Ceaser's for a FIVE dollah "hot & ready" yah? Will that brand me wiser that a fifteen dollah "Garden-fresh" from Papa Johns?

Doubtful. But it will make me FEEL like it. What else have we got left?

20. Likes BoxcarPete liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know what you are babbling about but you don't have a clue about how telecom networks actually work. The carriers are implementing public key encryption in order to have complete source to destination tracing of phone calls. They cannot do that now. SS7 is in fact the problem as it is just a call setup scheme, and does not allow for any form of authentication of calls across carrier boundaries and no way to validate that a caller ID is not forged.