OT: Any Win NT Whizzards In The House?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default OT: Any Win NT Whizzards In The House?

I have an old Dell Optiplex PC with Win NT 4 SP5 that has a couple of quirks I'd like to correct.

1) It won't shut down..........it goes through all the motions, but will only restart.
    Somewhat annoying to have to unplug it to shut down. Is there something I'm missing?
    All of the check boxes seem to be set correctly.

2) How does one change a log on password?

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Rex

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use NT on my CNC mill. The host computer is only an IO device to the Aerotech motion control card and NT is the most stable system I have found. When you do a shutdown, it should end with a message that it is all right to turn off the computer. I think it is a carry over from pre ATX power supply days when you just turned off a switch rather than having a shutdown in software. I much prefer the old system. To change a password, you have to log on with the old one. If you can't, do a new installation and when the password box comes up, hit return without making an entry and you will not need a password. There should be a switch on the back of the computer to turn it off. In the old days, the switches were much more prominent.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, it was really long time ago I worked on that, so forgive my memory.

re: shutdown - did it ever? the ability to shutdown (as in power off) from software requires some hardware that wasn't on the earliest NT machines. on the other hand, if it used to power itself off, you could have something installed that is hanging shutdown.

re: password - the answer you are looking for might be to log in, then hold down Control-Alt-Delete, and a dialog box should appear, one of the options of which is "change password". if you mean you've forgotten or lost the password, let us know - you won't enjoy how that gets resolved.

keep i mind that an NT4 system will generally have multiple accounts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To power off you can press and hold the power button till it shuts off. This is not preferable to powering off with the Operating System. But is preferable to pulling the plug to shut down. This form of hard shut down is usually reserved for times when the PC OS is stuck and is non-responsive. This behavior generally indicates that the system has hardware or software issues. Good Luck.

Best Regards,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rjs44032 View Post
    To power off you can press and hold the power button till it shuts off. This is not preferable to powering off with the Operating System. But is preferable to pulling the plug to shut down. This form of hard shut down is usually reserved for times when the PC OS is stuck and is non-responsive. This behavior generally indicates that the system has hardware or software issues. Good Luck.

Best Regards,
    Bob
    The early PCs didn't have that feature. They had a switch with a large paddle, often on the side, and you simply shut them off. Startup was just turning the switch on.

Last week a customer had a 1988 vintage Chevalier surface grinder quit. The logic was run on +5 and +12 VDC, so they used what was normal PC power supply at the time. There was no provision for the start button that computers have now. I happened to have an old supply salvaged from some long scrapped PC and replaced it rather than try to repair the original. The owner first called Chevalier to see if a replacement was available. The parts man's reaction was "Wow, that's really old."

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any reason you are not running SP6?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bjorn toulouse View Post
    I have an old Dell Optiplex PC with Win NT 4 SP5 that has a couple of quirks I'd like to correct.

1) It won't shut down..........it goes through all the motions, but will only restart.
    Somewhat annoying to have to unplug it to shut down. Is there something I'm missing?
    All of the check boxes seem to be set correctly.

2) How does one change a log on password?

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Rex
    To keep the machine from powering back on you'll most likely have to go in to the system bios and change a setting. (Try hitting the "F2" key while the Dell logo is up on startup to get to the bios menu.) Go in to the "Power management" menu and you'll be able to select an option for "AC recovery" and change it to "off".

To change the logon password you need to be signed in on the machine. Go to Start, Settings, then Control Panel. There should be an icon for "users" or "profiles", double click that and it should bring up all the "users" defined on the system. Once you select the proper user you'll be able to change the pw.

Hope that helps,

-Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanx to most all for your info!

I found that pushing and holding the Power ON button will shut off the 'pooter after it goes through
    the shut down cycle from the START button.

No joy with the password, however. I get a message about contacting the SysAdmin as I'm just a worker bee with no privileges.
    I'm glad that someone at Bowles Fluidics had written the password down and taped it to the monitor!

This 'pooter runs the Baldor NextMove ISA card that controls the Benchman XT VMC that I bought a while ago, so I'm leery
    of messin' with the NT settings for fear of fuckin' things up. As things are, it works.

Rex

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look for another sticky with the admin password. The id by the way is "administrator" not just admin.
    sometimes (often) people leave such passwords blank.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    I use NT on my CNC mill. The host computer is only an IO device to the Aerotech motion control card and NT is the most stable system I have found. When you do a shutdown, it should end with a message that it is all right to turn off the computer. I think it is a carry over from pre ATX power supply days when you just turned off a switch rather than having a shutdown in software. I much prefer the old system. To change a password, you have to log on with the old one. If you can't, do a new installation and when the password box comes up, hit return without making an entry and you will not need a password. There should be a switch on the back of the computer to turn it off. In the old days, the switches were much more prominent.

Bill
    Hi Bill, apologize for bothering you for such old thread. I am working on one aerotech controller which doesn't have its software anymore. Wondering if you have it handy or know how to get it. Thanks and regards.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk