What's new
What's new

OT- For any of you planning a wedding... cut your cake beside Haas and Emco ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Just now noticing the wedding reception link at our premier South Carolina manufacturing technology school. Can you imagine anything more romantic ? :fight:

What can we do for you?

It would be the "perfect" wedding reception venue after all :gossip:

iu

Wedding receptions? ……………………..there's not something you're trying to tell us is there Don, ……..or blowing in the wind. ;)

Just FYI- the restoration of the Craneway Pavilion has provided the area with a great venue for events of all kinds. Company holiday parties are very popular there. The building itself was constructed in the '30s as a Ford assembly plant and was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.'

I worked in the building from around 1983 to 1989 when it was decimated by the Loma Prieta earthquake. I was in the building when the earthquake struck and watching a building that size literally swaying back and forth up to 2 feet at the roof line was pretty amazing. The building is steel girder construction, and I still have several 2" diameter rivets that were sheared off during the earthquake.
The building sat for many years after we moved out and several attempts were made to develop it without success. Including it in the Rosie the Riveter history is a great thing.

One highlight while we occupied a portion of the building was that the movie Tucker was filmed there. If you have ever seen the movie, the production line scenes were filmed in the craneway portion of the building.

Dan what is the craneway? is it just the floor under the bridge crane area? My wife liked the day care room which was just abandoned when the war ended. Wooden toys etc still on the shelves.
Bill D.

Bill-yea the "CraneWay" is kind of a marketing term I suppose and the name for that portion of the building used for public events. If you have ever seen the building, it's probably somewhere over 1/4 mile long. The portion closest to the bay and adjacent to the dock area was the only hi bay portion of the building. I imagine it functioned as the ship unloading area for the assembly plant, and as such was equipped with large cranes, hence the name chosen for the event facility.

The picture in this link shows it pretty well:

About

That crane don't look like it could pick up the tanks shown in there.

Looks to be 30 ton at best.

That crane don't look like it could pick up the tanks shown in there.

Looks to be 30 ton at best.

I'd say it is about it is anywhere from 50 to 100 tons and a Sherman weighed about 33 tons.
Dan, overhead cranes do not unload ships. They primarily service the machines below them.
I

Dan I grew up in El Cerrito so I could see the building from my house.
The Building in question was built to assemble model A fords. It made jeeps, landing craft, and Sherman tanks during the war. Kaiser built several dry docks next to it and built liberty ships. There is a Victory ship docked there as a museum. ship. they are always looking for machinist volunteers to keep stuff working, hint hint.
Bill D

SS Red Oak Victory - Wikipedia

TD- yup!!! This was an assembly plant, and not a manufacturing facility as far as I know. I would imagine that anything that tied up to that dock had shipboard cranes that loaded and unloaded cargo using local stevedores. There was a rail siding on the back side of the main building with the tracks sunken so that rail car doors were level with the dock and that may have been how material was received. That begs the question what the heavy cranes in the building were used for. Perhaps the cranes were added to support the war effort. Sorry for the thread drift!

Back