What's new
What's new

OT Anybody on the forum got a Triumph X75 Hurricane?

I have some of the original posters but no idea where to look. :(

Also a couple regular Tridents, but that won't help.

smt

Tridents are addicting, I got my first one in 1974, I have 5 plus the Hurricane witch needs a total restoration. I got it in 1983, I think it spent a few years in a lake, but it is getting there. If you have an extra poster I could give it a good home.

Last edited:
Ah, another admirer blinded by Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

Ah, another clueless lip flapper. In 42 years of riding Triumph, Norton and BSA motorcycles 100s of thousands miles I have had exactly one electrical failure. On a 1969 BSA A65 it quit running on one of the two cylinders. 5 minutes of trouble shooting revealed a broken wire on one coil. I stripped a bit of insulation and put it over the blade terminal and put the terminal on over the wire to hold it as a temporary repair. back on the road in 10 minutes. The wiring on those old English Bikes is simple and is reliable in my experience.

Ah, another clueless lip flapper. In 42 years of riding Triumph, Norton and BSA motorcycles 100s of thousands miles I have had exactly one electrical failure. On a 1969 BSA A65 it quit running on one of the two cylinders. 5 minutes of trouble shooting revealed a broken wire on one coil. I stripped a bit of insulation and put it over the blade terminal and put the terminal on over the wire to hold it as a temporary repair. back on the road in 10 minutes. The wiring on those old English Bikes is simple and is reliable in my experience.

X2, IME most of the ''famed'' unreliability problems associate with British bikes, was down to them being f'kd about with by people who hadn't a clue what they were doing, and weren't prepared to spend money on parts when required either.

I just found out that there is one in the AMA museum in Pickerington Ohio. They will allow me to take measurements and take close up photos. Only about 65 miles away, Time for a little road trip.

Talk about obscure Trident based Triumph models....

smt_4cyltrident.jpg

As we were leaving on a Monday early afternoon, Slippery Sam, living up to his name and dripping Castrol R, was being wheeled through the lobby after a weekend out being exercised at a vintage track event (race). I was too busy running around gaping to get good pictures. There's also a small window shrine display of the remains of the original Slippery from the fire a number of years ago. Lots of melted castings and such.

Like Norton Manx soldiering well into the 60's, Tridents in the 70's were competitive way long after they should have been, partly due to ever better handling, for the respective eras.

smt

Talk about obscure Triumph models....

smt_4cyltrident.jpg

As we were leaving on a Monday early afternoon, Slippery Sam, living up to his name and dripping Castrol, was being wheeled through the lobby after a weekend out being exercised at a vintage track event (race). I was too busy running around gaping to get good pictures. There's also a small window shrine display of the remains of the original Slippery from the fire a number of years ago. Lots of melted castings and such.

Like Norton Manx soldiering well into the 60's, Tridents in the 70's were competitive way long after they should have been, partly due to ever better handling, for the respective eras.

smt

Ah yes, the quadrent.. Is that the original one? I saw the original at the motorcycle museum in England before the fire, I don't know for sure what all was lost.

I am both old enough and lucky enough to have seen Slippery Sam ridden in anger, by Ray Pickerel and Percy Tait.

Not that I'm rubbing it in you understand :D but also as a trackside marshal with Slippery Sam (and many others) passing within 10 feet (or less ) of me, ............ on full song, S'Sam had a lovely exhaust note .

Wow! That 4 cyl is just too cool! Had no idea that prototype existed.... Triumph Quadrant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another rare later model Triumph on ebay now... 1977 Bonneville Silver Jubilee, nice shape!

1977 Bonneville Silver Jubilee/ebay

Talk about obscure Trident based Triumph models....

As we were leaving on a Monday early afternoon, Slippery Sam, living up to his name and dripping Castrol R, was being wheeled through the lobby after a weekend out being exercised at a vintage track event (race). I was too busy running around gaping to get good pictures. There's also a small window shrine display of the remains of the original Slippery from the fire a number of years ago. Lots of melted castings and such.

smt

As much as I love Triumphs....I have to say that I had plenty of electrical issues.

If you look at the design/quality of the pieces you can see why. I guess the wire itself was never an issue, but the terminals were all begging for failure. Light bulb sockets in particular...basically a lump of metal bonded to the end of the wire with 'not especially tight' tolerances. Sometimes you got contact, sometimes not. Bare spade terminals left exposed to the elements. Wiring routed without enough space or support. That sort of thing.

I had lots of Zener diode failures, which probably led to lots of headlight failures. Always kept a spare bulb under the seat.

As much as I love Triumphs....I have to say that I had plenty of electrical issues.

If you look at the design/quality of the pieces you can see why. I guess the wire itself was never an issue, but the terminals were all begging for failure. Light bulb sockets in particular...basically a lump of metal bonded to the end of the wire with 'not especially tight' tolerances. Sometimes you got contact, sometimes not. Bare spade terminals left exposed to the elements. Wiring routed without enough space or support. That sort of thing.

I had lots of Zener diode failures, which probably led to lots of headlight failures. Always kept a spare bulb under the seat.

It is important that the zener diode had a good clean contact with the heat sink and a good ground, I have never had one fail but have worked on bikes that over charged the battery and burned out bulbs. A bad ground at the diode was more often than not the problem. On my bikes I run a quartz halogen headlight so the standard connection is not used.

I am both old enough and lucky enough to have seen Slippery Sam ridden in anger, by Ray Pickerel and Percy Tait.

Not that I'm rubbing it in you understand :D but also as a trackside marshal with Slippery Sam (and many others) passing within 10 feet (or less ) of me, ............ on full song, S'Sam had a lovely exhaust note .

One of my Tridents is a Slippery Sam knock off. Morris wheels, Ceriani road race forks, triple lockheed alloy brake calipers, 30 mm Amal MK II carbs 11.5-1 Hepolite pistons, Megacycle cams. I made a 3 to one header though that sounds amazing at 8500 rpm. When I finish the Hurricane I have a Rob North frame for my next Trident build. I have most of the engine done, I bored and stroked it to 1000cc, should be fun!

My last Triumph was a '77 which remains my 'dream Triumph' except for the shifter being on the wrong side. I know the earlier Triumphs have more collector appeal but the later ones had the benefit of the most advancement like disc brakes and oil in frame and other stuff.

Back