What's new
What's new

OT- Anyone here carry plywood on top of 4 door Jeep Wrangler ?

I saw a person pulling one of those HF folding trailers the other day behind a minivan.
They put some scraps of plywood around the perimeter, and it looked like about
2 yards of bark mulch they were hauling with it.

That really wouldn't work with a ladder rack....

.that particular rack might even be overkill.

I see the front post's have to negate the front windshield, do those still hinge down ?

I see the back post's going to what looks like the bumper.

So if the front post's are mounted to the body, and the body in on
rubber mounts, and the rear bumper is not, I could see some twiwsting
and movement caused by this set up.

I'm surprised they didn't extend the rack all the way out to the front bumper,
apply the front post's there.

I saw a person pulling one of those HF folding trailers the other day behind a minivan.
They put some scraps of plywood around the perimeter, and it looked like about
2 yards of bark mulch they were hauling with it.

That really wouldn't work with a ladder rack....
WHAT ? I can't haul "bark mulch" on the roof ? NOooooooo....:bawling: ;)

WHAT ? I can't haul "bark mulch" on the roof ? NOooooooo....:bawling: ;)

Spreading it at your destination would be easier...

Just climb up top with a shovel and have at it...you could sling it much farther
with the height advantage, and clean up would be as simple
as turning on the wipers....:skep:

Whilst its not a jeep and its not that rack, the rack i do have on my landrover is similar, Have had 6-12' random lengths of soaking wet wood of the beech the full width across stacked 6" high up there, load wise its no issue, but cornering wise much mass up there has a big effect.

My rack although different has a similar number of bars and spacing, hence i can say with certainty a few sheets of ply it works great for, only thing to watch is how you tie stuff down, for things like stacked sheet goods you need a strap over the front and back edges to stop the middle ones sliding out. other than that things travel great up there. Other thing to watch is load - unload, any wind and its dodgy and heavy larger sheets are very hard single handed. I often will also have 9' concrete fence posts up there and there way easier than a full sheet of ply to load - unload.

Use to have a extension piece that slotted in the front bumper, but honestly it was really only useful for 4+ meter lengths of floppy stuff like smaller steel flats. Old bumper sarcame to rust and i just still have not needed to add the mounts back for that to the new bumper.

I think that would very easily carry 4 or 5 sheets of plywood. When you read the specifications it says 300 pounds of evenly distributed weight. I don't think there is anything more evenly spaced as far as weight as plywood. Not ever having seen this particular model, I am obviously not an authority on whet it will and will not do. However as someone who has carried quite a few heavy (500 lbs. of books in boxes) and quite a few canoes on luggage racks I would simply say that it looks to be adequate.

Anyone say "Canoe" ?

Or "long pipe shaped objects" ?
Or "Ladders" ?

Kind of hard to haul bark though....:D

Stays straight at 75 mph, pulls great.

Attachments

• GEDC0453.jpg
    GEDC0453.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 429
  • GEDC0454.jpg
    GEDC0454.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 337
  • GEDC0452.jpg
    GEDC0452.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 321
Hi Milacron,
I have a 2014 Jeep JK 2 door with a similar rack. Mine is a "Kargo Rack". While I have not carried plywood on it, as long as it is properly tied/strapped on it should be fine. I will say that the rack is damn near impossible to install by yourself. If you have a gantry you can drive under, then you could put in on and take it off without help. Mine mounts to special brackets on the windshield hinge plate in front and to the frame behind the bumper sides in back.
Also, these racks increase the wind noise a lot and reduce hi-way gas mileage by 2 to 3 mpg. I use mine to transport my 27 foot rowing shell. Tom from Mass.

Attachments

• Jeep With Rack.jpg
    Jeep With Rack.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 2,621
I've carried sheets of plywood on a sedan with a too-short roof line using a pair of roof racks and a homemade "T" rack that plugs into the trailer hitch. The weight is distributed between the pair of roof racks and the (class II - 300 lbs. max) trailer hitch. I don't know that I would go on the highway with plywood up there but for trips to the local lumberyard (<40mph) I trust it completely.

The inaugural trip WAS on the highway, carrying a 9-foot long factory exhaust system from the freight terminal (90 miles round trip) securely strapped down to the racks.

T Rack w Exhaust.jpg

A front hitch on the jeep, with one of those T-racks would allow one to extend the plywood over the hood, and reduce the 'flapping in the breeze' effect. I've used two on the Suburban to carry long stuff, like 20' long picks -- aluminum walkboard for construction, for example.

Hell, I carry 4x8 sheets of plywood INSIDE my Suburban. As well as lumber up to 12 feet long (have to put a towel on the dash).

Depending upon how often you would use it, can you just rent a trailer? Otherwise, I'd go with the HF fold-up trailer idea.

I love my long bed GMC pickup. Plywood fits INSIDE and between the wheel wells so it is flat. And I have a cap to keep the rain off. I can load plywood at the lumber yard and cut it at the tailgate to save extra handling. That's great when you are 74 yo.

For those of you bragging about how well your pickups and SUVs carry plywood, consider this. A few decades ago one of my buddies bought an '85 Hyundai hatchback new. He used to fold the seats, open the rear and carry sheets of plywood with a couple feet hanging out. The opening was just over 4 feet wide. He put a couple layers of duct tape on the trim to keep the plywood edges from chafing it.

Back