What's new
What's new

OT: anyone into hot peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.

plastikdreams

Diamond
I know, I always start the wacked out threads that get closed but here goes...anyone else into hot peppers? I don't mean jalapenos and habaneros I'm talking chocolate bhutlas, ghost peppers, and reapers...my wife picked me up a fresh bag of Carolina reapers in Wisconsin and I'll get a chance to sample them in the morning.

I'm expressly NOT into them. I like jalapenos - because they taste good. But all super-hot peppers? They lack good taste, they're just hot. No thanks!

Hah, the ghost pepper actually has a decent sweet flavor not the metallic taste of some.

+1 to the ghost pepper having excellent flavor, but IMO the humble habanero can't be beaten for a "daily driver" hot pepper.

Tried some reaper puree just for fun, but the best hot sauces are made with really hot peppers and some lighter flavors like mango or lime mixed in.

+1 to the ghost pepper having excellent flavor, but IMO the humble habanero can't be beaten for a "daily driver" hot pepper.

Tried some reaper puree just for fun, but the best hot sauces are made with really hot peppers and some lighter flavors like mango or lime mixed in.

I concur, habs are a great pepper.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Grew Reapers 2 years ago, last year was Trinidad Scorpions.Paqui ghost pepper challenge took 3 days to eat a small bag. SIL tried the one chip challenge with a coworker, They split 1 (yes 1) spiced chip and could not finish it.

I love them, but here in Central Virginia what is considered hot is a joke. Sometimes you can't even get habaneros in the local chain stores and I have to settle for serranos, and even worse sometimes I just have to settle for a huge bag of fresh jalapenos. If I want anything hotter I have to grown them and I don't have a greenhouse or green thumb. One summer ago worms destroyed most of my habanero crop, who would have thunk worms would eat hot peppers. I pretty much put hot peppers in any food I can put them in, even my breakfast omelettes. If I am eating soup I will at least put a generous amount of tabasco in it. If it doesn't cause me to break out in a sweat I don't want to eat it.

I love them, but here in Central Virginia what is considered hot is a joke. Sometimes you can't even get habaneros in the local chain stores and I have to settle for serranos, and even worse sometimes I just have to settle for a huge bag of fresh jalapenos. If I want anything hotter I have to grown them and I don't have a greenhouse or green thumb. One summer ago worms destroyed most of my habanero crop, who would have thunk worms would eat hot peppers. I pretty much put hot peppers in any food I can put them in, even my breakfast omelettes. If I am eating soup I will at least put a generous amount of tabasco in it. If it doesn't cause me to break out in a sweat I don't want to eat it.
Have you tried the Tabasco scorpion sauce? It's quite tasty.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Hot peppers are not all the same even when they are the same kind if grown different places, in different soil, or even depending on what is near them..

I like hot, but have gotten away from much of the "arms race" in hot peppers. I like a lot of hot ethnic foods, and have found that even the folks from hot food areas are more like me, When they ask how I want food spiced, I always answer "the same as you would like it", and I have yet to have anything uneatable. The food has indeed often been very spicy, but always something I can deal with. I want flavor with the "heat".

The rest of the family is not into very hot peppers, so most food made at the house is not as hot. And some friends are totally unable to deal with spicy food, so for them we have to do even less, or set aside their portion. Others like it hotter than most, such as one neighbor from Malaysia, who gets near the top of my preferred range. I should grow some bhut jolokia peppers for her.

Ghost peppers and reapers are usually stupid hot if you slice off a piece and eat it. But that is not how the food is, there is something other than hot peppers in it, generally, even if it is just the tortilla the pepper sauce is smeared on. So generally the pepper type influences how many peppers are in the food.

If you grow hot peppers near ordinary peppers, the pollination from the ordinary ones will lower the heat. I always have to put a hotter pepper "border" around any hot pepper patch, so that there is less mixing with regular poblano and italian sandwich peppers like giant Marconi, that we also grow. Presumably the hottest ones will be in the middle of the patch.

Hot spices are hot so bugs do not eat the plants. they have been bred over centuries for more heat so the spices help preserve food from bacteria and bugs. I guess this is saying something about eating spicy food which are designed to be inedible.
My wife has convinced me to buy the hottest hot sauce since it costs no more and goes further since you use less per meal.
Bill D.

Ghost peppers and hatch chile peppers for me due to the tastes. the hot peppers give me nightmares when I am sleeping so I dont eat/cook with them as much as I used too. our youngest daughter loves habeneros, ghosts and a few others I never heard of. when she and I make bbq sauce she will sneak some of them in. the flavor is great but damn there hot.

No I’m not in to them but I bought a bag of Carolina reapers from amazon to have go for a laugh. It helped that I was half cut before hand. I chewed a whole one and I couldn’t feel my face for 45 minutes.

Since this is off-topic random rambling anyway, we have a large garden and always have a row of peppers. When we were having a problem with deer, I noticed the deer were eating the blossoms off the Scotch Bonnet peppers. We never got a one of those that year. Now we have a fence made from oil field pipe which would keep out rhinos.

6IHIn46REkxho3zYBtTgicBdAxGTewAnNhAbn8kYr43ljG7jlZQbTObA7kM_-OEhWZlyifU6Pt2TRXA--2KyjKK-tNDq3RuwHYrdhHSioP9MAXBv1EBAV8SbtjonH5Hs2rZht2cKkDNK8IuaTkxuR34YRGK3alPAtGqZ0vYiFjdOWkSIYn-PkHnrNyeFkCaM8u_azQGxi2h_N2Bqwtg7GapZiNjbISbxz-s6h34XaAD_FcB29JMSAChHFjXZNIMXuENX4IWOiPDCwgMAlMhL0JTQ6YOaysLRB_WtQXWQapjS4L5KCTgrRJTlv19cuCQIaDRCnk1GalhJMeYvQ_RxjHZldS6AxaUgI5WWxnvVecZe0E9alqtfqRO6h6CPp7-q74ChR9sfEjvzaj7sjAqtCK1Xyh8y0soHwleHHdo1IscgQypbunJUdA-8VtArskuz0OOmAu9DhMaMXlFogKKHt8FdVXyS10uFjIirdElRVezJJYa5cX78rGHCl0cN3Kgl60NxxlfTW9h7JbzXC-s3A_x550d2UXmfII2taLwBxHY7lL7LdwYbrg1s8Oei_nAYhULZ7tTDfigJnApgKy4OSKy0rp1Rt_fvF9T9fl2ufx53sBrzypM5txqFwFfCfSqiULGz4DvQefpPeoJiAzDBaR10=s780-no

jack vines

In the past comparison of peppers in relation to heat was too subjective, so a numeric scale was invented to resolve the subjective nature of assessments and convert these assessments to an objective number. This scale is called the Scoville scale named for its inventor. This history is interesting and well worth a review. There are several indexes on the web like this one.
The Hot Pepper List: Know Your Spice - 130+ Chilies! - PepperScale

Like other responders, I think heat without flavor is not enjoyable. Further, some of these peppers are considered weapons and are a controlled substance. If you can get past the controls, mixing the pepper powder with ablative marine bottom paint will definitely inhibit those critters from latching on to and growing on your boat bottom. It makes cheap bottom paint much more effective.

Not gonna lie...my favorite hot sauce is tobasco chipotle...that smoked flavor and (to me) little bit of heat make it a great sauce for just about anything.

My wife thinks I'm nuts but she has zero tolerance for heat.

Some guys at work grew Reapers and they were worthless. Too hot to be useful for anything and no flavor. As I've gotten older I can't eat that stuff. Wreaks my innerds and makes my butt hurt.

So i have a ? for all you hot pepper eaters. Do you notice that you dont get the flu or colds as much. I started eating hotter stuff couple years ago. Nothin real hot but put red crushed pepper and some others on about anything it goes with. Havent been sick for years.My wife and kids bring it in the house from being at school multiple times over the winter months and i still catch anything. Usually up the heat a little when i start seeing people start complaining about having the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back