What's new
What's new

OT anyone used one of those headlight reconditioning kits?

Seems like the headlights on everything around here are all cloudy. when someone pulls up behind you and you cast a shadow in their headlights you know yours are pretty bad. So I stop at the auto parts and they have about 6 brands from 11.95 to 29.95. Has anyone done this and if so what brand did you use? Was it any good?
I saw some stuff advertised that you just spray on let it dry and you are done. Parts store did not sell it though. Anybody use it ? Is it any good? Who makes it?

They do work, they are just little pieces of fine grit paper or buffing compound.

You buff out the scratches and cloudyness on the plastic lenses

It takes time and elbow grease.

If you have power buffers and compounds, you can just use those.

I just did this earlier in the year. I used the kit from Griot's Garage which has an aerosol topcoat vs the wipe-on ones.

You get better results if you remove the headlight but can do it in-car if you are careful about masking.

Basically, you wet sand the headlight until it has a uniform horizontal scratch pattern, then clean and dry it before applying the top coat. The one I used said to expose it to strong sunlight for several hours after coating to ensure full cure.

The results are fabulous, and no one could tell the headlamp was refinished unless they spotted the line where it was masked off.

PS: When you wet sand put a small amount (a drop or two) of dish detergent in a bucket of water to help float off the sanding debris. Also, without the UV protective coating the plastic would rapidly deteriorate. They are all clear coated at the factory and they cloud as the finish fails with age.

I did it a few years back with a 3M kit. Results were great, looked like new, and has held up perfectly for several years. Pretty sure this was the kit

3M Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit with Quick Clear Coat 39175

Came with everything, including a rag. I probably had most of that stuff on hand, but this seemed so easy and worth a few bucks I seem to remember adding an additional grit of Trizact paper. You definitely want to add some soap to the water, as above, and be very thorough in removing all scratches with each grit before going to the next.

Wish I'd done it years ago, now to get rid of those cataracts!

Moonlight, glad to hear you're feeling better, sounded pretty scary a while back.

Acetone on a clean rag will work, but you can only take 1 swipe with it. 2 swipes will mess it up. Don't ask how I know about the 2 swipe thing.:angry:

DEET will clear up headlight lens haze. Can’t remember which insect repellent formula I used, but a fairly-high concentration. I believe a little too much enthusiasm can actually melt the plastic, so caution is recommended.

Clean using water and some windex. Dry with towel. Spray on WD40 and wipe off. Takes only a minute to do.
Good for two to three weeks.
Don't believe me? Take a minute and try it.

Last edited:
John,
I've used this stuff for our windows....forever. Clean a mirror with this and it'll look like you can walk through it. Rubbed some on the headlights of our granddaughter's car. Worked pretty fair then I quit. Gave her the bottle to finish it. Looked great. Even if it doesn't do headlights, you'll have the cleanest windows in Marysville. Then you'd be famous! They also make an aerosol.

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...ning-and-disinfectants/glass-cleaners/1307727

Last edited:
i restored a car a while back and the instrument cluster cover was plastic and scratched due to cleaning over many years...
I used a purpose made buffer ( bench grinder type with extended spindles) and buffing compound and slowly did it being careful it did not get too hot.
It worked great so there is not reason why it cannot work on headlights which are plastic.

Other compounds i have used is autosol a german made polishing paste but cannot recall if i used it on the buffer as it was quite a while ago i did the job on the car.

Never have i bought a kit or like, just used available products

I have not used the kits, but have used sandpaper. I finish with about 2000 grit. If you want the lenses to stay clear paint them with spar varnish.

Much of the damage is from UV. Cars parked with their plastic bits in the shade have that plastic last much longer.

Once done with one of the polishing kids - which remove the pitted outer surface and what's left of the original UV protection - wiping the headlights down with something like Aerospace 303 UV protectant will prolong the life of the plastic. Otherwise, the freshly polished plastic remains vulnerable to further (and depending upon sun exposure, rapid) damage.

The clear coating add-on is as good as its UV protection and your ability to get a smooth coat to begin.

We had the same problem on a 2016 Subaru Outback. The dealer wanted $1k to install new headlights. Fortunately we had purchased the extended warranty when we bought the car and the job was covered by insurance.

If youve got a good selection of sandpaper at hand just skip the kit.
Sand horizontally, then vertical, then horizontal with increasingly finer grades. Surprising how much crusty plastic cones off before you get the yellowed crap off. Wash well, let dry and spray with your choice of UV resistant clear coat. Should last several years.

....... Has anyone done this and if so what brand did you use? Was it any good?

Ive used the GClear stuff from Glasweld. Just order a pad or two and the 8 oz refill bottle. Its more expensive but works well and vehicles i did 4 or so years ago still look fine.

Honestly, ignore the people who just say sand them or some chemical and havent bothered with a UV coating. The polycarbonate fogs because the UV coating is gone and unless you put on a quality UV coating you are just wasting your time.

The other consideration is to look at buying new headlight assemblies. I was amazed when I checked out some for an older truck. Something like $30 from Rock Auto. May or may not have been 100% up to OEM, but vastly better than the old ones.

Back