What's new
What's new

OT anyone watching the Indy 500?

Dixon just had a HUGE crash. He walks away! It's amazing how tough those cars are now days, the car is shredded but the tub holds up to the loads and the driver is fine. When I was working on Indy Cars full time the cars were not near as tough as they are now.

While I agree the advances in safety are amazing, especially how the drivers tubs work, and how the drivers walk away, ......though I can't help wondering if the drivers underwear can take the same strain ;)

100th edition.

I think the the decals like "Steak n Shake" and "Verizon" get people mesmerized the same as a long commercial. I like the days when all you could see is names for air/oil filters and tires, fuel, etc.

Shades of Greg Moore's fatal crash at Fontana....

Obviously this is a much happier result - but the difference between merely bad day and utter disaster is very small....

While I agree the advances in safety are amazing, especially how the drivers tubs work, and how the drivers walk away, ......though I can't help wondering if the drivers underwear can take the same strain ;)

With Indy and NASCAR you will see at the end of the race just before the driver exits the car he'll be handed usually a Gatorade. He'll take a sip and pour the rest on his front and in his lap. Why? Because his suit is soaked with urine. They just piss their pants during the race so they pour a liquid on to mask it. :)

With Indy and NASCAR you will see at the end of the race just before the driver exits the car he'll be handed usually a Gatorade. He'll take a sip and pour the rest on his front and in his lap. Why? Because his suit is soaked with urine. They just piss their pants during the race so they pour a liquid on to mask it. :)

What a ignorant stupid f ing thing to say, I worked full time on top level sports cars and Indy Cars from '84 to 2012 and never once cleaned a car that had been pissed in.

My interest in Indy has faded away since Jim Clark showed up in the 60s with the rear engined cars. The 50s Roadsters are my favs. Listened to the race on the radio from about 1950 well into the 80's ,TV just isn't the same! And ,of course, I have been accused of being born 50 years too late.Case in point ,my daily driver is a 62 Corvair Rampside PU ! :crazy:

Dixon better look both ways twice when he crosses a street from now on because he can't have much luck left. A little different position and he wouldn't have a head. I'll bet he will be a sore MF tomorrow.

Bill

Dixon better look both ways twice when he crosses a street from now on because he can't have much luck left. A little different position and he wouldn't have a head. I'll bet he will be a sore MF tomorrow.

Bill

He also survived an armed robbery AND a Taco Bell this week

So I'm thinking the idea of piss or shit your pants must come from non-racers.
Never had it happen, never seen it happen.

Once things go wrong it does seem like time slows down and everything is in slow motion.
At this point you have no control over anything and are along for the ride.
Mostly you are thinking...Oh crap, this is gonna hurt along with waiting for what seems like forever for it to be over.

Given all the car and bike racing that happens ever weekend I wonder if is safer that most other things in life.
Many, many crashes that people walk away from thanks to safety rules. Other hand people trip on stairs not using the handrail, fall down in the shower...

Indy cars have always had a problem protecting your feet and lower legs.
Every crash is studied and new rules put in. Much progress has been made.
Bob

So I'm thinking the idea of piss or shit your pants must come from non-racers.
Never had it happen, never seen it happen.

Once things go wrong it does seem like time slows down and everything is in slow motion.
At this point you have no control over anything and are along for the ride.
Mostly you are thinking...Oh crap, this is gonna hurt along with waiting for what seems like forever for it to be over.

Given all the car and bike racing that happens ever weekend I wonder if is safer that most other things in life.
Many, many crashes that people walk away from thanks to safety rules. Other hand people trip on stairs not using the handrail, fall down in the shower...

Indy cars have always had a problem protecting your feet and lower legs.
Every crash is studied and new rules put in. Much progress has been made.
Bob

When I was racing motorcycles I often said if you knew you were not going to hurt afterward a big crash would be about the most fun you could have. You just see everything in a series of stop action views, Sky, trees, oh look the trees are sideways, no they are upside down, which way is up? Slow motion for sure.

Back