What's new
What's new

OT- Austrian made (RSF) DRO scale wiring question

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
At link below I found what appears to be paydirt on a 1998 vintage RSF model 6701 scale (with 11uApp signal) I need to adapt the cable wiring to work on a Heidenhain display and curious why the UHF* in the "specs" chart ?

The wire colors on my scale match the UHF but not the MSA67xx colors.

https://www.mavin.com/pdf/RSF_encoder.PDF

*I presume ultra high frequency....but how that relates from uhf coaxial to this 9 wire cable is the mystery.

Maybe, but they might surprise you. Twenty- some years ago Heidenhain pulled "circular optical scale" adjustment instructions out of Germany for a late 1950s or early 1960s system fitted to a 24 inch Eimeldingen rotary table. The scale system was so obsolete that the people in the U S office had never encountered one.

At link below I found what appears to be paydirt on a 1998 vintage RSF model 6701 scale (with 11uApp signal) I need to adapt the cable wiring to work on a Heidenhain display and curious why the UHF* in the "specs" chart ?

The wire colors on my scale match the UHF but not the MSA67xx colors.

https://www.mavin.com/pdf/RSF_encoder.PDF

*I presume ultra high frequency....but how that relates from uhf coaxial to this 9 wire cable is the mystery.

Ahh RSF, brings back memories. RSF was much easier to work with as an OEM compared to Heidenhain. Looking at a MSA6700 in front of me, it has an orange wire. So it probably is the UHF cable. I wonder if UHF stands for "ultra high flexibility", as MSA6700's dark grey colored cable jacket is more flexible than the standard MSA6707 black cable jacket cable I am also looking at.

The MSA6701 is rated at a top speed of about 1m/s, which works out to a max sine wave frequency of 100KHz for the 10um grating pitch version. So I suspect UHF is not "ultra high frequency".

Now if I could only find a couple of the RSF round connectors so I could connect some RSF encoders to my RSF Z 720 Digital readout box....

Back