What's new
What's new

OT autonomous filming with a drone

Rocketdc

Aluminum
I'm interested in producing some marketing videos and thought about utilizing a drone that can capture unique vantage points and be setup to film autonomously. I've never used one, but I searched a little bit about them and figured I'd be focusing on models that have a 'follow me' feature that can be set to hone in on a specific item or person.

Anyone have experience with these? Any advice on what to look for or stay away from? Most of the footage I'm planning to take would be inside my shop from relatively close range.

There are lots of people that offer this service now. Unless flying drones and video production are hobbies you want to get into, I'd get a quote from someone who already has the equipment. Someone with experience doing Real Estate videos might be a good first choice and fairly reasonable in price.

I have a couple dji drones and the follow me mode works just ok. Any sudden change in direction or especially if you move backwards under the drone it can lose track of you
But the video editor in there app is good and the collision avoidance on the drone works well.
I have the mavic air 2s and I like it but if you're only looking to film inside maby a smaller one?
One thing to consider is that they dont record audio and are loud especially inside

I'm interested in producing some marketing videos and thought about utilizing a drone that can capture unique vantage points and be setup to film autonomously. I've never used one, but I searched a little bit about them and figured I'd be focusing on models that have a 'follow me' feature that can be set to hone in on a specific item or person.

Anyone have experience with these? Any advice on what to look for or stay away from? Most of the footage I'm planning to take would be inside my shop from relatively close range.

*Good to buy one and start learning the controls. You will get a lot more use ideas with having one.

I bought a Mavic Mini last year and like it a lot. When I bought it I was flying it in our living room within about ten minutes time. Super easy to operate. Left joystick is rotate left/right and up/down and right joystick is left/right and forward/backward. It doesn't have the follow me feature though.

I'd be a little bit skeptical about letting it loose on it's own in a shop. What are you looking to follow in a shop?

Thanks for the feedback. I did look into some outfits that offer drone video services and for what they charge just to show up, film for a couple hours and send me the unedited video I might as well buy one. The real time investment is in editing, adding voice over and music to produce something that gets viewers engaged.

Perhaps I don't need the follow me feature. I'd like to position the drone at different vantage points and have it hover while filming or possibly program it to autonomously move to different locations while filming the same shot. Not sure exactly what that would require, if possible.

I'm not just selling a product, I'm selling a story and pulling the curtain back on some of the interesting shit that happens behind the scenes can add some unexpected action plot lines to catch peoples attention.

The animal rescue I work with has had a couple of animals get loose so was looking at buying a drone to help with the hunt. You might want to look at some of the YouTube videos about buying one as the FAA has numerous current regulations including one proposal that if passed as is will require registration and having the drone do real-time reporting of its location.

The animal rescue I work with has had a couple of animals get loose so was looking at buying a drone to help with the hunt. You might want to look at some of the YouTube videos about buying one as the FAA has numerous current regulations including one proposal that if passed as is will require registration and having the drone do real-time reporting of its location.

That's true, you do have to register any drone over 250g which is most except the mini versions. It doesn't seem to be a big deal and wouldn't really affect my usage. After registering you can fly it in uncontrolled airspace which is up to 400 ft. There's more requirements for commercial usage.

A couple of the local high schools have drones, and they video sporting events, parades, etc. Then they put this on the website, etc.
These are usually students\ editor type students that are looking at a similar line of work in the future.
One of these schools did a wedding, a car show, and some church events.
The people that hired them said they gave the school a $200+ donation, and the teacher thought it was good experience for the students.
You might check some of those.

Thanks for the feedback. I did look into some outfits that offer drone video services and for what they charge just to show up, film for a couple hours and send me the unedited video I might as well buy one. The real time investment is in editing, adding voice over and music to produce something that gets viewers engaged.

Perhaps I don't need the follow me feature. I'd like to position the drone at different vantage points and have it hover while filming or possibly program it to autonomously move to different locations while filming the same shot. Not sure exactly what that would require, if possible.

I'm not just selling a product, I'm selling a story and pulling the curtain back on some of the interesting shit that happens behind the scenes can add some unexpected action plot lines to catch peoples attention.

Dji can hover and (lock on)to a target pretty well and it has a orbit mode where it's locked on and does circles around the target and several more canned filming cycles.
These all use the follow me lock on feature
I'm not sure about programming it to lock on to a target hover for a time then move to a new position and hover for a time all while filming a target? You may have to go up in $$$$ to get that.
I've been pretty happy with my dji stuff i would recommend it and definitely get the care refresh insurance i smashed my first mavic air pretty good it cost about 140$ to replace the drone with the insurance not bad considering it cost almost 1000$ when new.

I've been using drones for my business for a while now, and I can say that the "follow me" feature is a must-have if you're planning to use it for marketing videos. I recommend the Autel EVO II; it's a bit on the expensive side but well worth the investment. You can check other options here as well. Also, make sure to check the laws and regulations in your area.

If I find a drone filming me or mine, I will shoot it down. I don't care who owns it.
Hell yes!! I think assault rifles work well for this especially if "modified" for full auto and high volume clips. Great idea, cowboy. Just be ready for the consequences.

Here is an aritcle about a guy who shot down a 20+K drone legally surveying power lines that then caused a fire. Did not go well for the shooter.
Link to article:Shoot'em all down

Denis

My wife did a project a couple of years ago that included an aerial drone filming a fashion show in a cornfield- and the drone itself cost easily a few grand, because decent cameras actually weigh a few pounds. He was shooting high quality video, though.

My wife did a project a couple of years ago that included an aerial drone filming a fashion show in a cornfield- and the drone itself cost easily a few grand, because decent cameras actually weigh a few pounds. He was shooting high quality video, though.
Hell yes!! I think assault rifles work well for this especially if "modified" for full auto and high volume clips. Great idea, cowboy. Just be ready for the consequences.

Here is an aritcle about a guy who shot down a 20+K drone legally surveying power lines that then caused a fire. Did not go well for the shooter.
Link to article:Shoot'em all down

Denis
suspect that like not owning the water that goes through one's property, one doest does not own the air above it.

If I find a drone filming me or mine, I will shoot it down. I don't care who owns it.

Have fun with your felony if you're in the US.

suspect that like not owning the water that goes through one's property, one doest does not own the air above it.

You own up to 500ft over your own property. After that, it's navigable airspace.

Also, of note, this year old thread was bumped by a possible spammer, though his other posts appear to be legit, so he may just be an enthusiastic new guy.

Back