What's new
What's new

OT Best way to ship tool from US to UK

mixdenny

Cast Iron
I have a machine I would like to ship to the UK. I can box everything in a 24" x 16" x 26" crate that weighs 200 lbs. FedEx quoted over $1200 to ship economy. Packages that exceed 150 lbs go in their heavy weight class so I am going to remove parts and see if I can get the larger one down to 150 lbs and get a quote for the 2 boxes.

Meanwhile, any better suggestions for a shipper?

Dennis

A couple years ago I shipped a similar crate via the tractor guys, but my customer in England made all the arrangements (He really wanted the Hendey Taper attachment and parts)

Apparently the antique tractor network has a somewhat regular occurrence of machines going one way of the other in container loads. There's lots of nooks and crannies among the engines and tractors that will accommodate other crates of tooling. A strapping young guy showed up at my shop picked my crate up and juggled it around his shoulder with one hand while shaking mine with the other, and loaded it in his truck. 6 weeks or a couple months later it was reported received in England. The buyer had been willing to do bank transfers, cc, or etc. But I was basically getting an old Hendey off my conscience and the parts were not in great shape, so I wanted him to receive and verify them before paying. I told him to pay another friend of mine in England, and a bit later in the year, the money came in US bills tucked in with some micrometers, indicators, and other tooling the friend sent to me as a gift, via regular mail.

Dunno how to find them, maybe try Smokestack?

smt

Build your crate and deliver it to a consolidating shipper. They will load it in a container shared by multiple customers. Their agents, at distant end will break down the container to individual consignments and forward through local ground service providers. I suspect a cost of $200-300 depending on local ground costs at distant end.

Just remember that if it's going overseas, the crate has to be made from certified bug-free materials

I think the tractor guys handled that with mine. (Mayve they get the whole container fumigated?) I just used regular scrap pine and plywood off-cuts from my regular wood business in the shop. Total cost of shipping was free, but the guy on the other end was apparently a regular participant in this particular type enterprise so there was probably some quid pro quo.

smt

I think the tractor guys handled that with mine. (Mayve they get the whole container fumigated?) I just used regular scrap pine and plywood off-cuts from my regular wood business in the shop. Total cost of shipping was free, but the guy on the other end was apparently a regular participant in this particular type enterprise so there was probably some quid pro quo.

smt

not anymore you don't

if they accidentally put untreated wood in a container, the whole container gets fumigated at your cost

i have been buying plastic pallets for ~10 years

\

You don't read with comprehension.
That's pretty much what i said - I think they just fill up a container, then get it fumigated.

But that was 2 yrs ago and all the connections were made from the other end.

smt

My comprehension is perfect, your understanding of the situation is flawed

you did not pay for a container to be fumigated, as your butt would still hurt

Wood has to comply to ISPM Use all plywood and you be good Only plywood Also to reinforce the corners
A LCL like Steve-l discribed is the cheapest probably At least if you cannot break it in 2 parts under the weightlimit for Fedex But his pricing is a bit optimistic His price of 200-300 USD is even cheap if its shipped CIF port
But if DAP you have to ad porthandling broker and inland transport
I estimate about 800USD total

Maybe not useful but I usually use corrugated plastic...coroplast for crates.
Then I use expanding foam in a couple bags to secure the load.
The crate ends up water proof and crush proof.

From the shipping calculator at freight consolidator shipito.com (I use them 2 or 3 times a year) airfreight for your 200lbs to say London W12 will cost $650 via Fedex. First though you have to get it to one of the shipito.com shipping centres which are located in CA, NV, OR.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know about the certified crates. U-Line has a good selection, and even HGR has a few in stock that may work. Meanwhile the buyer located a shipper with a good price that uses DHL. There is a DHL location near me so I'll get a quote from them.

Dennis

Back